Bain says title win silences the critics

More...

CHIEF EXECUTIVE Martin Bain reckons Rangers' terrific title triumph has rammed harsh words back down the throats of the critics.

Aspersions have been cast about this Rangers team in certain quarters and the chief executive believes that made Sunday's Championship success at Easter Road all the sweeter.

Many people have jumped on bandwagons to offer their tuppence worth about the quality of the Light Blues in the 2009/10 campaign.

And Bain has blasted back at the cheap shots by describing the achievement of Walter Smith and his players as "phenomenal".

No-one has been closer to the turbulent times the club has gone through behind the scenes that the chief executive so he knows more than anyone the enormity of the achievement.

He said: "This championship is more important than last season for an awful lot of reasons.

"There are a number of people round about us who have criticises us but I think we have shown that team spirit and determination can get you through.

"Sometimes the weak man's greatest virtue is criticism and I'm delighted that we have been able to respond to our critics and showed what we can do.

"For me it is a phenomenal achievement given that I'm one of the few people who has known everything that has gone on at the football club in the last 12 months.

"Great credit must go to the group of players and the management team who have won six major trophies and reached a European final in the last three years.

"I think any club in world would be thrilled to take that if they were offered it.

For me it's a very special championship because it answers a lot of questions and shuts up a lot of critics."

Bain believes everyone at the club has stepped up to the plate this season to make it such a successful one.

He added: "I'm delighted for everybody - the team on the pitch and the team off the pitch.

"To win titles you need everybody and you need people of calibre. You don't need seven out of tens you need more than that throughout the club and we've had that.

"I'm thrilled for Walter and the boys and of course the supporters because it means everything to them."

Edited by Frankie

Great statement from Bain who I think has improved immeasurably in his public comments about the club and fans since SDM moved aside.

Was just about to come into this thread and say basically the same thing :box:

Now is it really an achievement? A bunch of grown men kicking a bit of blown up synthetic material around and putting it between some metal posts more than other bunches of men is surely far too trivial to call it an achievement? :devil:

Unfortunately it didn't even shut up the critics here for all that long. :(

Some people might only be coming on criticizing Walter and the team to try and wind folk up and get some attention. Can't see any other reason for some of the drivel I've seen posted since Sunday afternoon.

Now is it really an achievement? A bunch of grown men kicking a bit of blown up synthetic material around and putting it between some metal posts more than other bunches of men is surely far too trivial to call it an achievement? :devil:

This post is simply the best.

Some people might only be coming on criticizing Walter and the team to try and wind folk up and get some attention. Can't see any other reason for some of the drivel I've seen posted since Sunday afternoon.

Some of the comments have bordered on depressing. Some folk have seen nothing better than to slag off the manager, the style of football, our future, and Kyle Lafferty.

I mean did we just win the league or lose the bloody thing?