Amongst the hyperbole and sensationalism over legal tax loopholes (yes, I did say legal), last night's result in France where Bayern Munich routed Lyon over two legs means Rangers have now qualified for next season's Champions' League Group Stage.

Currently we're third seeds but we could easily make it into the second group of seeds given the right results. However, future performance aside, the main issue for those who control the club and, for many of us who support it, will be the associated finance with this competition. Up to �£17million of income could be secured if, as expected, Celtic fail to negotiate a difficult qualifying route to the group stage. In an era where our future participation in the competition will be far from guaranteed, that money could well be the last pot of genuine gold at the end of the UEFA rainbow.

Moving back to the hysterical coverage in the media then and the debate turns to how will that income be used. Will it be ring-fenced to reduce debt or will it be reinvested into the club to address such crucial issues as the loss of out-of-contract players and, erm, the broken big screens? To be honest, despite the protestations of the club yesterday evening, the former is most likely with a bank ever wary of a club (and parent company) sailing close to the rocks in recent times.

Of course, panic aside, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The club debt may well be reducing but it is certainly agreeable to use any future income to reduce it further and/or prepare in advance for less lucrative seasons. After all, without a decent run in European football, an annual loss is probable to be reported. Years of cuts in playing staff and wages, along with savings made elsewhere may signal efficiency but perhaps still not enough to break even without the UEFA cash cow.

And this is where the harbingers of doom have some sway. With various players out of contract or likely to be sold and the management team similarly non-committal, just what is the competitive future of the club? After all, while the bank has every right to expect its debt to be repaid, why are they so keen to dispense with already agreed and perfectly reasonable repayment structures? The plight of the crumbling MIH empire may well be casting a dark shadow of influence and their delayed annual accounts will be interesting reading when finally released this week. However, Rangers remain in profit and, unlike other teams in Glasgow, our fans have shown they will not desert our club even when success may not be imminent. As such, the immediate future is not as bad as some would like to paint.

Nevertheless it appears the battle-lines have been drawn. Potential owners and sources within the club itself are lining up to leak information to all and sundry - from internet mischief-makers, to tabloid journalists, to phone-in hosts and more. Suddenly - less than 48 hours after securing our 53rd title - the muck is being thrown and the 'Rangers in Crisis' headlines are of a huge gauge on the street paper-stands. Once again, the average Rangers supporter is left worried and bewildered as opposing camps fight it out in the media. Hardly the dignified approach our loyal and committed support deserve.

Ever since the ownership issue suddenly appeared to be the main topic of the club's immediate future, some fans have called for clarity and leadership from those who purport to buy and represent us. Unfortunately, there has been little evidence of this from any party involved. Fingers are pointed, accusations are thrown and blame is cast as the poker game gets very dirty indeed. It seems everyone has had their say but few in a positive sense.

From Dave King, to Douglas Park, to Andrew Ellis, to Graham Duffy, to the RST, to Sir David Murray, to Alistair Johnston, to Walter Smith, to Donald Muir and to all the journalists choosing their side of the fence to stand on; all should be asking themselves just what this very public battle is doing for our club. This should be a time of celebration and oneupmanship as we break our own world record. Instead division is again rife, and those who matter most at the vital time of season ticket renewal, are treated with disdain and disrespect. To a man, Rangers fans care passionately about their club but the 'political' sleaze currently surrounding it is as distasteful as the spin we see mirrored in the General Election debate. But, at least we're given a vote and debated with in that arena.

As its stands, not one of the main names mentioned above has had the honesty, the integrity, the transparency and the leadership to actually come out and show why they should own the club and why their plans will ensure our world record will be maintained in future years. Not one has come to our support and said this is why you matter to me and why your opinion will form an important part of the club for its future. That is nothing short of a disgrace and is just as worrying as any financial issues we may face in the coming years.

Rangers need leadership - it is well beyond time for those who think they're capable of that to show it.

Edited by Frankie

Excellent post with which I agree entirely - well except for the bit about the 52rd [sic] title... :devil:

It expands and completely explains something I was trying to say a lot less clearly in another thread.

It's strange the way journalism is now more about producing an entertaining or sensationalist story rather than report anything resembling the truth and the sad thing is most will believe it in the same way that they misguidedly believe that X-Factor is a singing contest...

Excellent post with which I agree entirely - well except for the bit about the 52rd [sic] title... :devil:

It expands and completely explains something I was trying to say a lot less clearly in another thread.

It's strange the way journalism is now more about producing an entertaining or sensationalist story rather than report anything resembling the truth and the sad thing is most will believe it in the same way that they misguidedly believe that X-Factor is a singing contest...

Journalists have to put in "Exclusive" news and its never positive news, well for us it hasn't been for a year, even when winning back to back Championships.

Any success and there is always negativity on the horizon. Seems to be common place nowadays and its rather depressing.

As its stands, not one of the main names mentioned above has had the honesty, the integrity, the transparency and the leadership to actually come out and show why they should own the club and why their plans will ensure our world record will be maintained in future years. Not one has come to our support and said this is why you matter to me and why your opinion will form an important part of the club for its future. That is nothing short of a disgrace and is just as worrying as any financial issues we may face in the coming years.

Like a lot of real life, once the rot sets in it takes one hell of an effort to get it out again. Many of the names you mentioned in the OP are products of the same disease that set in 20 years ago, when the principles that had guided the club over decades were set aside in favour of crass self-interest - even some of the names that might otherwise be seen as real Rangers men.

The day I first heard it said that David Murray was the most important man at Rangers was the day I knew we were heading for trouble. His supporters can say all they like about shiny new stadium or NIAR or Gascoigne or whatever - the price of all that has been the loss of a great club culture and the betrayal of all those who had fought so hard to make Rangers what we once were. To me it has been an unacceptable price and I'd give it all away today if I could have the Rangers back.

Ellis, Duffy, King .... all just more of the same and God help us if any of them take over. David Murray has been an unmitigated disaster for Rangers but his legacy will be twice as bad if we can't climb out of his shadow when the chance eventually comes. These people being mentioned as possible suitors are from the same rancid stable as the Great Blowhard and are no more capable of undoing the damage than Murray himself.

I just hope for the sake of Rangers there is still someone out there who understands what we were before Murray and the absolute importance of sweeping away every last trace of this awful period.

Like a lot of real life, once the rot sets in it takes one hell of an effort to get it out again. Many of the names you mentioned in the OP are products of the same disease that set in 20 years ago, when the principles that had guided the club over decades were set aside in favour of crass self-interest - even some of the names that might otherwise be seen as real Rangers men.

The day I first heard it said that David Murray was the most important man at Rangers was the day I knew we were heading for trouble. His supporters can say all they like about shiny new stadium or NIAR or Gascoigne or whatever - the price of all that has been the loss of a great club culture and the betrayal of all those who had fought so hard to make Rangers what we once were. To me it has been an unacceptable price and I'd give it all away today if I could have the Rangers back.

Ellis, Duffy, King .... all just more of the same and God help us if any of them take over. David Murray has been an unmitigated disaster for Rangers but his legacy will be twice as bad if we can't climb out of his shadow when the chance eventually comes. These people being mentioned as possible suitors are from the same rancid stable as the Great Blowhard and are no more capable of undoing the damage than Murray himself.

I just hope for the sake of Rangers there is still someone out there who understands what we were before Murray and the absolute importance of sweeping away every last trace of this awful period.

I completely agree with what you say above MF.

One question though, out of curiosity. You say that "the day you heard David Murray was the most important person at Rangers was the day you knew we were heading for trouble" - how did you know that ? I presume this sentiment was made reasonably soon after he took over the helm ? If so, did you have former dealings with him ? Was it a hunch ? Or was it hindsight ?

Not trying to disagree with you - am genuinely interested because my recollection of him was (admittedly as a teenager...) that he was simply a businessman who had done very well for himself.

Obviously I now know different - would be interested in knowing how you knew it was a bad thing from such an early point.

Cheers :D

craig

I think it is fair to say the Murray era has been one of boom and bust.

He'll point to continued success despite our financial problems but his critics will point to his lack of vision when he talked about ambition in the first half of his tenure. The truth lies somewhere in the middle but there's no doubt the last decade has caused more problems than offering solutions.

Essentially the question is are Rangers a better club than they were in 1988? I don't think anyone can say 'yes' with any great certainty. That simple conclusion in itself should hurt SDM more than anything else.