More rubbish probably, but I'd rather keep Thomson at Ibrox to see if he recapture his best form.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/05/11/boro-boss-gordon-strachan-lines-up-swoop-for-rangers-ace-kevin-thomson-86908-22249947/

GORDON STRACHAN is ready to launch a shock raid on Rangers for midfield lynchpin Kevin Thomson - as the crown jewel of another huge recruitment drive from the SPL.

Record Sport can reveal the Middlesbrough manager has placed Thomson's name at the top of a six-strong list of transfer targets based north of the border and believes the financial carnage at Ibrox may help him land his man.

Strachan is aware the 25-year-old is about to enter into the final season of his contract and with the crisis-hit SPL champs unsure about future budgets Thomson, left, has still not been offered an extension.

That means Rangers could face losing one of their most valuable assets for nothing in 12 months' time and Strachan plans to exploit the situation by offering Thomson a bumper long-term deal on Teesside.

Long-time admirers West Brom are also monitoring Thomson's situation but Strachan has jumped to the front of the queue in his rush to prepare Boro for next season's Premiership promotion push.

He is also interested in Hearts winger Andy Driver, Morgaro Gomis of Dundee United, Hibs defender Sol Bamba, Celtic full-back Mark Wilson and has already opened contract talks with Thomson's Ibrox buddy Nacho Novo.

But, in Thomson, Strachan believes he could land himself the bargain of the summer for a fee of less than �£3million - around half of what Rangers boss Walter Smith would expect to rake in for the player in normal circumstances.

Thomson, who recently became a dad for the first time, has already made it clear he wishes to stay at Ibrox and sign a new four-year contract .

However, Rangers might be unable to offer any kind of long-term security unless a new owner takes over the club this summer.

Six of Smith's squad - Davie Weir, Novo, Kris Boyd, DaMarcus Beasley, Stevie Smith and Kirk Broadfoot - are already out of contract but Thomson is one of another group of key players who, with only 12 months left on their deals, are also looking for clarity.

And a source at the Riverside told Record Sport: "The manager has made it clear he plans to go in heavy across the border this summer because he believes the players are of a higher quality than in the Championship.

"Novo could be the first to arrive but there is no doubt landing Thomson would be a major coup for the club. Gordon is working on putting something together and trying to take advantage of the uncertainty off the field at Rangers .

"He knows he can offer the lad the kind of security Rangers simply cannot get close to."

Guest Flying Hippo
�£4m and you can have him for me.

�£4 million for someone with a year left on his contract? We'd be lucky to get offered �£1 million

Sadly i can see this one happening. We won't be offering him a new contract any time soon

I remember he once seemed a better capture than Scott Brown. How wrong we were.

I wouldn't be overly bothered about losing him, he's pretty average. It's another first team player though and we're going to have nobody left. Yet another player we spent quite a lot of money on and will recoup fuck all on.

I remember he once seemed a better capture than Scott Brown. How wrong we were.

I wouldn't be overly bothered about losing him, he's pretty average. It's another first team player though and we're going to have nobody left. Yet another player we spent quite a lot of money on and will recoup fuck all on.

Even if he's been average he's still been better than Brown.

Guest Flying Hippo

Quite frankly anyone who thinks Brown at �£4.3 million has been more value for money than Thomson at �£2 million is off their flaming rocker