More scaremongering from 'The Sun'

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2972512/Walter-yes-or-no-in-48hrs.html

WALTER SMITH'S future at Ibrox will be decided in the next 48 hours.

SunSport can reveal Lloyds are poised to hold crunch talks with Rangers' board later today to thrash out a club budget and financial programme for next season.

Both will have a massive bearing on whether Smith, 62, decides to remain in charge or walk away from the crisis-torn club.

Even if he opts to stay on, SunSport has learned it will only be for one more year.

The title-winning gaffer is deeply concerned about the future of Rangers.

And his worst fears will be confirmed when the bank table a proposal to slash the annual wage bill from �£16million to �£10m.

Those financial restrictions would make it almost impossible for Smith, unable to make a single signing for the last 18 months, to operate.

Six of his squad are now out of contract with a further seven players free to leave next summer.

Smith WILL be given limited funds this summer, but it will be nothing more than a token gesture.

That would leave him with a threadbare squad as the quest for three in- a row begins.

The worried Gers gaffer met with US-based Ibrox chairman Alastair Johnston last Sunday to outline his concerns and plead for new players as well as more money to tie up his out-of-contract stars.

But with the banks still calling the shots, Smith's desperate plea looks to have fallen on deaf ears.

Lloyds are determined to downsize Gers and Smith may soon feel his position is untenable.

Ally McCoist is seen as Smith's natural successor.

The club legend has been groomed to take over the top job.

But even he would seek assurances from the bank before agreeing to take charge.

You have to wonder which of the parties trying to buy us fed this to that worthy tome.

To be honest mate, I doubt such proud members of the Fourth Estate even need fed by anyone at the moment. Making it up as they go along is probably just as accurate as relying on club sources...

I do think the next few days will be interesting though.

Walter Smith is now in a position where his managerial role is becoming more untenable by the day. That isn't nice to know but it is arguably true.

Guest BdTS

In the same article the wage bill is being cut but a modest 7 figure amount will be made available to Walter for players.

That's totally contradictary.

If you look at the overall situation ,nearly every player on our books is out of contract at the end of next season , now that really is a frightening situation to leave any potential new owner

In the same article the wage bill is being cut but a modest 7 figure amount will be made available to Walter for players.

That's totally contradictary.

I just can't see the bank cutting our wages by almost half this year - after the savings we've already made in recent times.

If that is likely it goes against the reasonably positive outlook suggested by Johnston, Bain and Muir just last weekend to supporters representatives.

Not to mention the comments at their own AGM.

If you look at the overall situation ,nearly every player on our books is out of contract at the end of next season , now that really is a frightening situation to leave any potential new owner

Contract renewals is something that has to be dealt with on an ongoing basis.

I'd have thought any income this year will be firstly used on offering suitable new contracts before buying new players. Once again we can only hope these contracts are in line with what players can reasonably expect.

Seems to me offers made to players so far have been reasonable enough - if we're to believe the figures quoted unofficially.

Contract renewals is something that has to be dealt with on an ongoing basis.

I'd have thought any income this year will be firstly used on offering suitable new contracts before buying new players. Once again we can only hope these contracts are in line with what players can reasonably expect.

Seems to me offers made to players so far have been reasonable enough - if we're to believe the figures quoted unofficially.

I agree Frankie but usually it is 3 possibly 4 . we have nearly a whole team out of contract at the end of next season , that is just irresponsible no matter who is in charge

walter is telling the bank and the board what to do not vise versa anymore which is good

So whose puppet is AJ...Murray's, Walter's, Muir's or the bank's, in fact what is he there for...a fall guy.

Just as a matter of record the "bank" are running fek all club, unless of course anyone can prove otherwise, beyond a shadow of a doubt. But as that would be illegal without the proper procedure, no one will be proving it, will they.