Celtic to stage Scotland Euro 2008 opener

Scotland's Euro 2008 qualifying bid will kick off against the Faroe Islands at Celtic Park.

Hampden Park is unavailable on 2 September because the national stadium is hosting a Robbie Williams concert.

A number of clubs made bids to host the game but Celtic Park was the top choice of the Scottish Football Association.

Chief executive David Taylor said: "We want to make a positive start, and with Hampden not being available then Celtic Park will provide a magnificent venue."

Aberdeen were one of the teams to miss out but Taylor wants to reward them by taking an international match to Pittodrie soon.

"I would like to publicly acknowledge the strong bid from Aberdeen FC to stage the match at Pittodrie, but we anticipate the crowd for the opening match of the Euro 2008 campaign will require a larger stadium," added Taylor.

"However, there is great support for the national team in the north east of Scotland, and I would very much hope we will take Scotland's next home friendly match to Aberdeen."

Scotland have been drawn in a very difficult qualifying group, which also includes France, Italy, Ukraine and Lithuania.

Ha, would of been a laugh having a Scotland game at Pittodrie. Can't believe a Robbie Williams concert is getting put above a Euro qualifier in importance.

Just looking at that there, we have ZERO chance of qualifying for Euro 2008, and with that comes falling lower down the rankings, meaning we're be seeded lower for the World Cup qualifiers, which will mean just as hard a group as this one.

No matter how much our national side improves, with our already awful world ranking and seeding position, it's gonna be very hard to qualify for anything anytime soon.

Robbies gig isn't getting priority. It was booked moths in advance, well before the Euro fixtures were announced.

And I agree with you, don't know when scotland will qualify for a major tourny, possibly never!

I'm a bit disappointed with the SFAs decision. Ibrox is a 5 star stadium, Porkheed is a 4 star stadium so why have they given the game to "them"?

I'd have gone if it was at Ibrox but no fookin danger am I sitting at Porkheed when it ain't Rangers who are playing.

rangers probably didnt.

Dont think i could bear going to Cp for a scotland game...hampden parks only ten mins away on a train, and ibrox is only 15 mins from me so it'll be a bit of a hassle to get there.

No chance scotland will sell out the 60,000 though, not for the faroes anyway.

DOES anyone care? I think a few do but Hampden is unavailable, so the most logical backup is Ibrox or Parkhead, Rangers didn't apply. Even if they did it would be a toss up between the two, and it will always alienate a narrow minded section of the support on either side.

But for the rational thinking Scotland fan of any persuasion, the game will just be held in a large Scottish stadium in Glasgow.