Thought we should have a open thread for chat about the WC. Opinions on who will win it / betting etc.

Im backing the Dutch, I think they are as strong as anyone going forward. It will once again be whether the squad can get on with each other.

Would like to see Argentina win it though, how good would that be for Maradona!

I think England have a genuine chance and they have a decent draw on paper. Working it out on the predictor they will have the runners up from Germany's group (asuming Germany win the group) which they should win and then it could be France in the Quarters.

Portugal are an interesting bet at 22/1 as are Germany at 16/1.

�£10 stuck on the English although I don't want them to win it. I wouldn't bet on France getting out the group stages, they are brutal these days and had to rely on a handball by Henry to get to the WC.

Ivory Coast could have a decent wee run but no doubt they'll struggle to get through the group stages. They always seem to falter when expected to do much better.

Spain or Brazil for me. Brazil always seem to perform on the continent moreso than Europe.

A.B.E.

The French could be a surprise but I doubt their manager and dont think the players like him. They still have Henry, Anelka, Ribery and Moulouda who was cracking all season. Its a dood attacking line up.

Its always good to have England in the WC for interest but always great to see them get knocked out.

In the absence of both Scotland and the Czechs, I'll probably support Spain. I also think they have a revoltingly brilliant squad and a great chance of winning their first world cup.

I don't think England have the slightest chance. Their normal level is to make it to the quarters, but I'd be surprised if they get that far this time.

In the absence of both Scotland and the Czechs, I'll probably support Spain. I also think they have a revoltingly brilliant squad and a great chance of winning their first world cup.

I don't think England have the slightest chance. Their normal level is to make it to the quarters, but I'd be surprised if they get that far this time.

Pleased to hear you say that. Only thing is they have a reasonably easy passage to the quarters. They could even beat Germany in the second round.

Capello has left out Walcott from the WC squad. No one saw that coming but I agree with Capello as Walcott flatters to deceive. He's always injured, can't control the ball, his crossing it abysmal, shooting is worse and has no confidence. He's vastly overrated.

The opthers left out are:

Adam Johnson

Michael Dawson

Tam Huddlestone

Leighton Baines

Darren Bent

Scott Parker.

Personally, I'd have taken Parker in front of Carrick and I can't believe that donkey Heskey has made the squad too but what do I know, my managerial experience only comes from Football Manager. :D

World Cup thread, good call.

Spain or Brazil for me.

Spain have the best players and the best squad, it's for them to lose. I can't remember the last time one team stood out so clearly as the best in the run-up to an international tournament. They've been lucky with injuries so far as well.

Brazil don't have the profile of 10-15 years ago, but they have undoubtedly one of the strongest teams in the world today and what sets them apart from Argentina in my opinion is they have a decent manager in Dunga, who has them playing un-Brazilian, but winning football. They strolled the qualifiers, and the gulf in class when they played England in a friendly last year was striking.

As for England, yet again the myth is being peddled that they have one of the best squads. Put simply, they don't. Their first-choice players were shown up in this season's Champions League, and with back-up of the calibre of Warnock, Upson, Carrick, Joe Cole and Heskey, their odds of 6/1 are surely based on nothing other than the patriotic betting of millions of English people. I'm not anti-English though and wouldn't begrudge them the trophy.

Argentina are a better outfit than England in my view, and I'd be pretty confident of them winning the World Cup were it not for Maradona who, character though he is, I just don't rate as a manager and certainly not at international level. He just seems far too rash and compulsive when the later rounds require clear thinking and nerves of steel.

Despite their injury problems, Germany will be there or thereabouts as ever, in fact I can see them knocking England out if those two meet in the second round. Losing Ballack's experience could fatally undermine their chances though. Looking forward to seeing this Ozil guy in action.

Italy will be around in the later stages as well, I don't read too much into the 'Dad's Army' headlines, they have an experienced squad full of quality and it'll take a very good side to put them out.

Holland are in with a shout this time, particularly with Van Persie looking like hitting form again after a long rest through injury.

France are in the second tier of world football these days. I expect little from them. I'm not terribly convinced by Portugal either.

One of the great things about the World Cup is trying to guess who'll be the inevitable surprise package. There's loads of teams who with a bit of luck could go on a mad run: Chile, Mexico, Denmark, USA, Uruguay, maybe South Korea again, they have some handy players.

As usual though, I'll be rooting for all the shite. This time round that means New Zealand, Honduras and North Korea among others. I love the low-key games as much as the big ones. Switzerland v Honduras anyone? Paraguay v New Zealand? I also hope South Africa reach the second round for the sake of the tournament, and it would be good to see the Ivory Coast get out of their group and do something. Ghana will struggle without Essien I feel.

One month, 64 games. Cheers :drink:

Guest Flying Hippo

Bent is the Boyd of the England team. His all round game is piss poor and he relies on balls over the top as his link up play is shit. Can totally understand why Heskey's been preferred though he's far from ideal. If you look at all the WC squads you'll see very few strikers who are poachers with no real technical ability