1 year on - Assessing the performance of The Rangers Board - Success or failure?

Guest BdTS

With the season well and truly wrapped up, is now not the time for us to examine the role of Alistair Johnston, Martin Bain and Donald Muir (the enemy within) on the Rangers board?

Clearly, there have been many who have been adament that he could not be trusted and as every single transfer window has approached, warnings of Muir-backed firesales have been stated as virtual fact only to fail to come into fruition time and time again, seemingly due to the heroics of Bain and AJ

Looking back retrospectively, and baring in mind I held up a banner in protest at Muir 5 rows behind him, I think it would be a worthwhile idea discussing Muir in particular, but obviously appraising the board as a whole is something we should be doing too.

More importantly, discussing what their objectives were, how succesful they were and also, how they've managed to marry his fiscal responsibilities as a business fixer with continued success on the park.

The positives: Back to back SPL titles all be it he was only on board for the most recent one, wagebill cut to 10-15 year low, virtually no 'wastes of a wage' left in the squad.

The negatives: The squad is wafer thin, the amenities within the stadium have been shambolic (big screens, catering, condiments etc, paintwork of the kiosks) potential loss of several out of contract players due to the length of time taken to amend bank business plan, takeover yet to be complete.

Interested in input from all-comers here.

Is it possible to praise Bain and AJ yet slam Muir at the same time?

Obvious King and McGill are in there as well so all is up for discussion.

This whole issue if far too muddied to be debated with any degree of clarity mate , when you have the manager , chief executive and chairman all seperately briefing the press not only against Muir but with what has transpired to be bogus stories I dont think any of us could even begin to discuss the inner workings of the club .

The only thing that can be stated with any degree of certainty is that we the fans have been very poorly treated yet again and that there are far too many in high positions within the club that should be having a good long look at themselves , none more so than our absent owner , but he only ever cares about himself

I think therabbitt on RM wrote a decent, objective article about the performance of Muir which can be extrapolated for the rest of the board.

rbr also makes a good point. With different people suggesting different people run the club (from SDM, to AJ, to Lloyds, to Muir, to Bain etc) it is a fruitless task to suggest who (or whom) is responsible for the good and bad issues currently related to the club.

All in all the board will point to two league wins on the trot and a decreasing debt as simple evidence of them justifying their position. That's fair enough but obviously the manager and players also take credit for that.

Meanwhile, we still have a variety of challenges facing us going forward. To that end, the current board - both those who were in place during the boom & bust years and those more recent additions (P. Murray, Muir, McGill) - are the ones tasked with meeting said challenges.

A new owner may well make our assessment moot over the coming weeks but in the absence of any movement there, I wouldn't be so churlish as to say the club board are failing but they certainly have more than their fair share of black marks against them.

As is often the case now, the club moves forward based on hope more than expectation. It is up to us to keep any pressure we can on given our annual un-matched investment into it.

In that respect, we need to assess our own performance and that of our supporters organisations. All in all, if we're being honest we're not in a great position to criticise so that is just as worrying.

I'm struggling to think of things to praise the board for.

They reached agreement with the bank (twice) which has allowed us to continue without selling players (apart from arguably Mendes), but surely that is the absolute minimum expectation of the board given our CL participation last season (and next).

There has been a bit of improvement in support of the club when dealing with the press.

It's adequate, but hardly successful, although not a failure either.

Edited by Bluedell

It really is very difficult to analyse the situation as it stands as we just don't know what is really happening.

Unfortunately, we probably won't know more until the end of August and, by then, it may be too late in terms of seeing where any money has went (season ticket cash, CL cash and any player sale cash).

I'm happy that the club is being run prudently and more efficiently but I'm not confident we can build on these changes to actually find improvement across the board. A new owner may be the best way of finding fresh ideas and enthusiasm but even then it is far from guaranteed.

What has saddened me most about the last 6-9 months is the way so many of the interested parties (from players, to the manager, to the CEO, to the chairman, to the owner, to prospective buyers, to the fans) have used the club on a selfish basis.

I expect more from all concerned. The next few months will be telling.

It really is very difficult to analyse the situation as it stands as we just don't know what is really happening.

Unfortunately, we probably won't know more until the end of August and, by then, it may be too late in terms of seeing where any money has went (season ticket cash, CL cash and any player sale cash).

I'm happy that the club is being run prudently and more efficiently but I'm not confident we can build on these changes to actually find improvement across the board. A new owner may be the best way of finding fresh ideas and enthusiasm but even then it is far from guaranteed.

What has saddened me most about the last 6-9 months is the way so many of the interested parties (from players, to the manager, to the CEO, to the chairman, to the owner, to prospective buyers, to the fans) have used the club on a selfish basis.

I expect more from all concerned. The next few months will be telling.

The only thing I would disagree with you on and goes to the heart of therabit's article , MUIR lied to the shareholders at the last AGM , he did try and sell Davies to Birmingham .

The only thing I would disagree with you on and goes to the heart of therabit's article , MUIR lied to the shareholders at the last AGM , he did try and sell Davies to Birmingham .

How can you state that with so much conviction? There has been a lot of misinfomation floating around, some allegedly from very high sources within the club, so how do you know this is true when so much else is questionable?

I don't think we know that for certain mate.

Your contact at Brum may have been told that Muir spoke to McLeish about the availability of Davis but we have no way of knowing just what was involved in that.

Muir may well have discussed the possibility during a time where the club's finances were less positive but there is a difference between saying you can have the player for �£x million and saying we have players available depending on other factors.

I appreciate Muir may well be speaking with forked tongue, but accountable board members of clubs are usually too subtle to be caught openly lying to shareholders.

None of us are naive enough to think stuff being conducted in private will be different from public comment but we have to be careful not to state stuff as fact when the opposite may well be true.

:)

It didn't just come from Birmingham , it also came via players who he is still extremely friendly with who are at the club , and it also got to the point of Davies's agent calling Walter to find out exactly what was going on , just because Muir has a few well chosen fans round for tean and buns doesn't make him a great guy , a wee bit late especially after he had been caught out . If you dont want to believe me fine , but, stop with the Muir's a misunderstood guy rubish , especially after therabbit was helped with his article by one of the chosen few .

Wait a minute rbr...

No-one is anybody's fool here and just because some may doubt 2nd hand information (though not your honesty) doesn't mean they're super fans of Donald Muir. Far from it in fact.

I just prefer a balanced debate and you'll have seen myself take issue with parts of Rab's article on here and on RM. I did the same when Muir had his informal meeting with selected fans.

I wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him but the same goes for most people in authority in my case. Doesn't mean I disagree with him every time or that I may be wrong on occasion.