Just in case anyone hasn't seen this disgraceful statement from them over the weekend - with regard to the 40th Anniversary of the 1971 Ibrox Disaster:

http://www.celtictrust.net/TheIbroxDisaster.htm

As chance would have it the New Year Glasgow Derby at Ibrox is scheduled to take place on the 40th anniversary of what has become known as the Ibrox disaster. Jock Stein was amongst those who attended to the dead and dying on the day and the whole of Glasgow came to a standstill on the day of the funerals. The death toll was truly horrendous, mainly working class men and boys and one women. Five of the victims primary school friends from a small village in Fife. It was an awful time for the families of those who died and were injured. For whatever reason as far as I know, there has never been any significant campaign of which I am aware to compensate the families of those who died for their terrible loss.

For some such anniversaries are occasions of great sadness, and now as the 40th Anniversary approaches the old wounds will be reopened. I’m very well aware of what Rangers as a club and large sections of their support have stood for, their club’s history of bigotry, racism and sectarian discrimination is internationally renowned. Nevertheless that Celtic supporters should observe with dignity and respect any commemorative events which may be organised on the day should go without saying. In fairness there is unlikely to be any equivocation amongst the Celtic support with regard to this issue. However I think we should be proactive in ensuring that we remember appropriately and with respect the families and surviving relatives of those who died should it be in the form of a minute’s silence or any other form of tribute to the those who lost their lives on the day. Such an event could have happened anywhere at the time, I remember how tightly packed stadiums like Hampden, Ibrox and Celtic Park in those days.

The reason why we should commemorate the dead of Ibrox is very simple. It is the right thing to do, it is what we should expect from decent human beings anywhere in the world.. The fact that people may argue that such respect would not be forthcoming if the boot was on the other foot is neither here nor there. We should not be prepared to compromise our own dignity or our sense of justice by comparing it to how others might behave. In other words we should remember with dignity the terrible tragedy that befell the Rangers fans that awful day the 2nd of January 1971, the day of the Ibrox disaster.

Vincent Doherty

CST Vice-Chair

They even had the date wrong yesterday but the italicised sections I've highlighted tell you all you need to know about these vile, vile people. To use a subject like the Ibrox Disaster to point-score over Rangers fans is nothing short of disgusting and their hypocrisy, as usual, astounding.

For those that don't know, their chairwoman Jeanette Findlay is also banned from some media because of her previous public support for the PIRA when interviewed by Nicky Campbell. Unfortunately, Celtic are still all too willing to work with this organisation.

- Link to Radio 5 Interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/fivelivebreakfast/2007/11/celtic_controversy.html

- Link to Daily Record article

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2007/11/21/celtic-disown-rebel-fans-chief-in-ira-row-86908-20137880/

For those who wish to complain, please do so through official channels - Supporters Direct are clear in their constitution and it is beyond time this organisation was black-balled from a government backed initiative.

http://www.supporters-direct.com/page.asp?p=3408

enquiries@supporters-direct.org

Edited by Frankie

It's at the stage where this sort of thing should be expected of them. They just can't help themselves. Let them think and make out that they're morally superior; it only makes them look even more foolish.

The fact that they even need to prompt their own to participate respectfully in commemorative events speaks volumes in itself. This statement is more likely to actually be the opposite of what it appears at face value when you consider the wording of it, so we should be expecting an organised disruption of the silence that day.

The fact that they even need to prompt their own to participate respectfully in commemorative events speaks volumes in itself. This statement is more likely to actually be the opposite of what it appears at face value when you consider the wording of it, so we should be expecting an organised disruption of the silence that day.

Exactly my reading of it mate.

It is also a pre-emptive strike so when the Celtic fans embarrass their club again, they can immediately deflect to Rangers.

Tiresome behaviour expected of Celtic forums but not that of government backed initiatives.

Vincent Doherty has articulated HATE from a perceived position of moral superiority.

My old man always left games early, we walked down Stairway 13 two to three minutes before the end of the match. We crossed Harrison Drive as a section of the crowd roared, another roar lifted as we navigated Ibroxholm Oval. The goals had nothing to do with events; open access, a stairway dog leg, towering blackened railway sleepers, and a poorly angled exit were the causes. A thirty minute walk to the car, followed by a forty-five minute drive to Lanarkshire, only when arriving home did we hear there had been an incident.

My parents attended a neighbour's New Years party, my best friend sat in our house watching regular news bulletins during the evening, the death toll climbed continuously. A Vincent Price film, 'the Mask of the Red Death' was on, another bullentin announced the total had reached 66. The next days the newspapers carried photos of buckled metal and hundreds of discarded shoes on grey concrete. Both the deceased and the survivors were swpt out of their shoes by the force. Maybe we should all send Vincent Doherty a discarded shoe to elicit some human decency?

Vincent Doherty has articulated HATE from a perceived position of moral superiority.

My old man always left games early, we walked down Stairway 13 two to three minutes before the end of the match. We crossed Harrison Drive as a section of the crowd roared, another roar lifted as we navigated Ibroxholm Oval. The goals had nothing to do with events; open access, a stairway dog leg, towering blackened railway sleepers, and a poorly angled exit were the causes. A thirty minute walk to the car, followed by a forty-five minute drive to Lanarkshire, only when arriving home did we hear there had been an incident.

My parents attended a neighbour's New Years party, my best friend sat in our house watching regular news bulletins during the evening, the death toll climbed continuously. A Vincent Price film, 'the Mask of the Red Death' was on, another bullentin announced the total had reached 66. The next days the newspapers carried photos of buckled metal and hundreds of discarded shoes on grey concrete. Both the deceased and the survivors were swpt out of their shoes by the force. Maybe we should all send Vincent Doherty a discarded shoe to elicit some human decency?

I honestly can't fathom why anyone would accompany a plea for decency with such indecency. Was it just written clumsily? Is it an attempt to get the hardcore onside to minimise disruption?

Unfortunately, articulated hate probably covers it.

I honestly can't fathom why anyone would accompany a plea for decency with such indecency. Was it just written clumsily? Is it an attempt to get the hardcore onside to minimise disruption?

Unfortunately, articulated hate probably covers it.

There is, and always has been a sizeable element of ra Sellik support, right across their demongraphic that have/had a problem with the Disaster.

Let's go back twenty years to the twentieth anniversary of the event, another old firm match at Ibrox. We won 2-0, goals by Walters and Robertson. I was working in the south of England, a window of opportunity allowed me to travel up, and secure a ticket for the west enclosure 45 minutes before kick-off.

As the referee called the skipers together, the PA bellowed there would be a minute's silence in memory of the 66 supporters who perished 20 years previously. Both sets of players gathered around the centre circle, the referee blow the whistle, there was silence. I stood in the west enclosure with my Walkman headphones over my ears, tuned to Radio Clyde.

Clyde's host broadcaster that day was former Sellik PRO, Paul Cooney. They left the microphones open but pulled the plug several seconds later. You see a sizeable section of the Broomloan began a chant, 'what a helluva way to die, to die an orange bastard'. It grew, Paul McStay brook ranks in the cenre circle, turned to the Broomloan and gesticulated for them to stop. Partly, it worked as several dozen kept it going and the last dozen seconds of a clearly shortened minute saw 400-500 take the chant back up.

Bears around me had maintained their discipline, but the ref's whistle saw a surge towards the walll, in aqn attempt to get at a grouping of Yahoos continuing the chant a dozen yards away. Older will remember sways and we were moved down 3-4 steps by the emotion. As Bears chanted, 'Scum', Paul Cooney came back on and said the following, "the silence was well observed on all sides, you could have heard a pin drop"

It's worth repeating what Clyde's Head of Sport and soon to be Chief Executive said, "the silence was well observed on all sides, you could have heard a pin drop". Why did Cooney tell such a blatent lie? The Sun's front page headline the next day was 'SCUM' and contained another two pages condemning the callousness of a sizeable section of the Celtic support. Radio Clyde REFUSED to take one call on the incident.

Five years late, Fergus McCann attempted to atone for his club's supports' behaviour by taking the microphone on the pitch before the New Year's old firm game. He began to explain the circumstances of a request he wanted to make, and again a sizeable section of the support drowned him out by continuous booing.

One thing is certain, both Lawwell and Reid wil NOT do anything to improve matters.

Can we not report their vile supporters association to UEFA OR FIFA for racist or bigoted statements. If the boot was on the other foot they would complain about us, as they have done on previous occasions. So let us use the law and the authorities against them.