http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3051683/Thomson-heading-south.html

KEVIN THOMSON was last night on his way out of Rangers in a �£2million move to Middlesbrough.

But Ibrox boss Walter Smith hopes the deal will help fund a shock swoop for Burnley star Chris Eagles.

Ex-Manchester United kid Eagles, 24, has shot to the top of Gers' wanted list after Thomson's exit was sanctioned yesterday.

Midfield powerhouse Thomson travelled down to the Riverside last night to talk with Boro boss Gordon Strachan and if all goes well he'll become the seventh SPL player Strachan has snapped up for Boro.

He's already lured Thomson's Gers team-mate Kris Boyd to the Championship along with Scott McDonald, Barry Robson, Chris Killen, Willo Flood and Lee Miller.

Strach also hopes to land Celtic stopper Stephen McManus on a permanent deal.

Thommo, 25, only has one year to run on his Rangers contract with the cash-strapped Ibrox club unable to offer the Scotland cap a new deal.

They believe it's now time to cash in on the player they signed from Hibs for �£2m in January 2007, with his departure expected to be confirmed today.

It'll be a cash-only deal - with former Hearts and Aberdeen hitman Lee Miller NOT part of the latest round of negotiations.

Thomson's departure will alarm Ibrox fans who have watched as Boyd, Nacho Novo, DaMarcus Beasley and Steven Smith from last season's title-winning squad have all left.

There are also doubts over the future of at least SEVEN more Gers first-team stars as gaffer Smith admitted last week he may be forced to sell players who - like Thommo - only have a year left on their deals.

Thomson took a while to settle at Gers and struggled to live up to his price tag during an injury-plagued Ibrox stay.

Rangers are already forging ahead with plans to bolster their squad with �£1.5m-rated Eagles now firmly in the frame for a move north.

Eagles starred in the Premier League last season despite being unable to keep the relegated Clarets in the top flight.

It's understood that his relationship with boss Brian Laws has badly broken down and he now wants away.

Celtic had expressed an interest in former England Under-21 starlet Eagles with Blackpool looking to agree a one-year loan deal.

Ex-Burnley boss Owen Coyle is also keen to take the winger to Bolton.

But Rangers will swoop in a bid to make him their first summer signing ahead of their pre-season trip to Sydney next week.

I'm astounded if all we can get for Thomson is a return on our money from when he signed.

There must be something else to this transfer.

:(

Its disappointing we're not making a return on Thomson but he is in his final year of his contract and his had bad injury problems so this will bring down his value

On the plus side, Chris Eagles is a very good player. Right sided wide player who is direct and will get goals

Meanwhile Traynor in the Record suggests Thomson will leave but that there will be no new signings before we leave for Oz...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/07/13/middlesbrough-close-in-on-2m-deal-for-rangers-midfield-star-kevin-thomson-86908-22409127/

RANGERS midfielder Kevin Thomson is on his way to Middlesbrough in a �£2million deal.

The Ibrox outfit decided late yesterday afternoon to grab the cash and Thomson was told he could head south for talks.

And last night there was little doubt that the man tipped as a future Rangers captain would be joining Gordon Strachan's Scottish colony.

Thomson would have been out of contract at the end of the new season and rather than risk letting him leave for nothing Rangers have decided to cash in on him now.

They paid Hibs �£2m - after add ons - in 2006 and although Thomson took time to settle and had to fight back from cruciate injuries he did emerge as an important player for Walter Smith's championship-winning side.

But Smith has to be very careful with what little money he has available to freshen up his squad and the offer for Thomson was one he felt he had to take.

Smith's midfield options will be reduced by the Scottish internationalist's departure but Steve Davis will now be used in a more central role which is where he is more effective.

Smith will have to rely more heavily on Maurice Edu, Lee McCulloch and John Fleck but Rangers will step up the search for new players, especially for wide areas having allowed Nacho Novo to leave.

Rangers have been linked with Jose Goncalves, James McArthur, Craig Conway and David Goodwillie but it's unlikely there will be new signings before they go to Sydney next week.

Although I had high hopes for thomson at rangers before his injury I think we have an able replacement in mo edu, thomson had his injury problems and he was always prone to diving in and picking up needless bookings and in my opinion edu is just as gritty and just as good if not better with the ball at his feet, and another plus is smith will be forced to play Davis in his rightful posistion in the middle of the park! As fir the rumours in the sun newspaper I would be delighted to use the thomson money to by eagles, he is a player we havnt had in a while, someone who will scream for the ball and run at players all day, puts in good deliverys and can chip in with a few goals!

Gavin:

Most of what you write makes sense but it is worrying that we seem unable to reject even the most basic offers for most of our players - no matter their contractual situation.

One can only assume Walter Smith is happy with this transfer for the reasons you highlight.

Gavin:

Most of what you write makes sense but it is worrying that we seem unable to reject even the most basic offers for most of our players - no matter their contractual situation.

One can only assume Walter Smith is happy with this transfer for the reasons you highlight.

Yes, what happened to all this "We don't need to sell' nonsense we were getting?. Davis and Thomson seemed an ideal CM pair for me with Thomson being left-footed, though it will mean more chances for Edu.

I'd take all this 'good deal' stuff more seriously if we accepted an offer which was more than we paid for him. As it is sounds like Middlesbrough held us to ransom - take it or leave it.

Sell Fleck, Wilson and McGregor and my misery will be complete.:(

Alex:

Like I say, perhaps we didn't 'need' to sell Thomson but made the decision to do so because of the other players we have for his position, while needing money to strengthen other areas of the team.

2 million is ridiculously low.

Is it though?

I don't disagree mate but some people will see �£2million for an injury prone, inconsistent player entering the last year of his contract as reasonable business.

Celtic couldn't achieve as much as that for Boruc which tells you all you need to know about our market.

One thing is for certain the club need to be more transparent with the supporters as, I'm extremely worried about our investment in terms of planning and strategy.

That's depressing news if true. 2M is a ridiculous fee given his age and potential, even given his recent injury problems. I suppose its more indicative of the SPL than anything and our well publicised financial problems aren't going to help us in negotiations.

I thought he was happy here though and looking forward to a contract extension? So either that's bullshit or the bank are still forcing us to sell.