http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/rangers-move-for-oz-star-brett-holman-1.1041689

Walter wants Brett loan

Rangers are chasing Australian World Cup star Brett Holman.

SportTimes can today reveal Ibrox manager Walter Smith is attempting to land the attacking midfielder on a season-long loan deal from Dutch side AZ Alkmaar. The 26-year-old caught the eye at the World Cup Finals in South Africa when he scored Australia’s opening goal in their 1-1 draw with Ghana and then netted a stunning 25-yarder against Serbia.

Now Smith is hoping to convince the player to kick-start his club career by moving to the SPL champions after failing to command a regular starting slot in Holland.

It’s understood Alkmaar coach Dick Advocaat has already sanctioned the potential loan deal and it will now come down to whether or not Rangers can afford to match the midfielder’s Ã?£16,000-a-week wages.

Holman can play in several positions, including a wide midfield role or as a striker, but he is thought to be at his best when playing as an attacking midfielder.

An Ibrox insider said: “Brett can play in a number of positions and he certainly showed at the World Cup Finals he can perform at the highest level. Talks are on-going but he is high up on the wanted list.”

One player who also featured high up on that list but won’t be moving to Ibrox is Burnley midfielder Chris Eagles.

Despite being offered a �£15,000-a-week deal to quit the Championship side after the clubs agreed a �£2m deal, the midfielder knocked back the move after demanding �£20,000-a-week.

Although there is very little money to work with, the �£2m sale of Kevin Thomson to Middle-sbrough should go through today which means there will be more cash available to Smith.

Brett Holman caught the eye of Walter Smith during the World Cup Finals

Loans are no good IMO - I don't think players are as motivated as they would be on permanent deals.

I thought Holman looked really good at the World Cup, but I haven't seen enough of him. Totally agree that loan deals aren't the way forward, although I'd take a couple of loan deals if it's that or nothing!

he looked very decent in WC.

but one thing about this story that puzzles me ??? WEE Dick doesnt even coach them now its Gertjan Verbeek.

the scottish press are really quite shit arent they.

Steve Davis was an excellent loan deal but I generally agree. We have had so few loan deals that have been a success you have to question the wisdom of them.

It's a bit different when it's a Gers fan coming on loan though...

Guest Guivarc'h

If the player is playing for his future then there's no worries about their commitment. Did anyone think Landry N'Guemo wasn't giving his all for the scum last year?

If the player is playing for his future then there's no worries about their commitment. Did anyone think Landry N'Guemo wasn't giving his all for the scum last year?

To be honest, I can't remember him doing anything remotely vital or important in any match I saw him play. Come November we'll all be wondering who he was again.