What price loyalty, highest bidder ?

Not what we want to hear, but it appears we cannot avoid it.

Any player who might be inclined to waffle about how much Rangers means to him, or how he would never wish to play anywhere else, can be quickly exposed by a glimpse of some pound signs. Even those who regard themselves as “Rangers men” have their price these days. Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo and Kevin Thomson all had their moments when it came to laying it on thick about the thrill of pulling on a blue shirt. When it came down to it, all three of them left because they could earn more dosh somewhere else.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/spl/rangers/financial-reward-represents-greater-incentive-than-loyalty-for-kenny-miller-and-his-rangers-team-mates-1.1041818

This is not a sensible time to try any kissing-the-badge-style stunts around Ibrox.

Any player who might be inclined to waffle about how much Rangers means to him, or how he would never wish to play anywhere else, can be quickly exposed by a glimpse of some pound signs. Even those who regard themselves as “Rangers men” have their price these days. Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo and Kevin Thomson all had their moments when it came to laying it on thick about the thrill of pulling on a blue shirt. When it came down to it, all three of them left because they could earn more dosh somewhere else.

Rangers continue to be financially hamstrung. Every player in the final year of his contract – like Kenny Miller – has been told they will not receive anything “significant” in terms of an offer to stay. Miller isn’t the type to pull the wool over any supporter’s eyes. The Scotland forward genuinely would like to stay at Rangers beyond an existing contract which ends next summer, but he was pretty blunt about one thing at Murray Park yesterday: if job security and financial stability were offered to him by another club, the chances are he’d be off.

He said: “I don’t want to leave but sometimes it can be exciting. If it’s the right thing and something you’re interested in, then fine, it can be a welcome chat with the manager. But as it stands there aren’t any decisions to be made so you just need to get your head down and get on with it.

“You just never know what can happen. I’m sitting here now but something could happen tomorrow. It leaves uncertainty within the squad at the moment because we don’t know what’s going to happen. But the manager spoke to the lads who are going into this season with a year left on their contracts and he explained the situation. At the end of the day there’s nothing we can do about it.”

Miller, Lee McCulloch, Danny Wilson, Andy Webster, Sasa Papac, Neil Alexander, Andrius Velicka and David Weir are all free agents next summer. Thomson was in the same position until he left for Middlesbrough in a Ã?£2m move on Thursday. Weir’s career will end at Ibrox but any of the other seven could be the next to leave if Rangers receive a bid.

If someone was to bid around Ã?£2.5m for Miller any time soon Rangers would have a major decision to make. That would be good money for someone they could lose for nothing in a year. The situation means that around half of Smith’s squad face a worrying, or at least an uncertain, few months.

“It’s not ideal but this is the situation the club is in,” said Miller. “To be honest it’s a disappointment when you’re happy somewhere and feel settled. Under normal circumstances, if you’re doing well and the team is successful then the manager would be knocking on a few doors saying he’s looking to extend your stay. But if the club isn’t in the position to do that then there’s nothing anyone can do.

“It does bring uncertainly. Going into the last year of your contract gives you all different things to worry about. You think about what would happen if you get injured and things like that. We just need to deal with it and if any decisions need to be made along the way then we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Personally, I’m as happy now as I’ve ever been at any other time in my career. The only time we worry about it is when the gaffer pulls us aside and says ‘somebody wants you, do you want to go?’”

If Rangers’ financial position improved and they could make Miller an offer he would happily stay longer at Ibrox. “I’ve said I would be more than happy to sign again at Rangers. I’ve been really settled and I’m really enjoying my time, and my football as well which is the main thing. But it’s not happening so there’s no point sitting talking about it.”

Miller confessed that it felt like “full turnaround” since his first spell at Rangers around 2001, when they were high rollers with the likes of Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Ronald de Boer, Jorg Albertz and Tore Andre Flo on the books. “We look around the dressing room at the moment and there are maybe only 15 or 16 experienced, first team lads. Ideally we’d have four more but by the looks of things the younger lads are going to be a big part of it. If the ones who left are not replaced then we just need to get on with it but just for sheer numbers we need a couple of bodies just to freshen things up. It’s not a concern at the moment, but if we lose any more then it would be.”

Rangers agreed a Ã?£2m fee with Burnley to sign Chris Eagles only for the player to turn down a transfer. Miller feels the 24-year-old made the wrong choice. “No disrespect to Chris Eagles, but is he going to get a team in England where he will get Champions League football? Probably not.”

Miller was officially unveiling the new away kit, which will be worn in tomorrow’s Jim Thomson testimonial against Queen of the South at Palmerston. No Miller badge-kissing, then, just a bona fide attempt to sell the jerseys.

Guest Guivarc'h

I severely doubt that Nacho Novo is earning more than the �£10,000 a week he earned at Ibrox at probably the smallest club in La Liga

I felt thats a bit unfair on Novo, he would have signed for a slight increase plus a longer deal yet would still have been a low earner.

Not sure on Thomson, I get the feeling he wasnt looking for a move, can anyone shed light on that??

Miller, Lee McCulloch, Danny Wilson, Andy Webster, Sasa Papac, Neil Alexander, Andrius Velicka and David Weir are all free agents next summer

Thats concerning considering we cant offer deals to anyone and only have a small budget for new players.

Miller confessed that it felt like “full turnaround” since his first spell at Rangers around 2001, when they were high rollers with the likes of Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Ronald de Boer, Jorg Albertz and Tore Andre Flo on the books

Thats depressing!

I just wish all teams would get together and say when your contract is over you are on half money. Players wages are at a crazy level and crippling football clubs. I really hope that Fifa keep their promise and don't allow clubs with unsustainable debt into Europe. Players wages need to be brought back to a realistic level clubs can afford to pay.

I severely doubt that Nacho Novo is earning more than the �£10' date='000 a week he earned at Ibrox at probably the smallest club in La Liga[/quote']

Novo was one of the poorest paid players at the club and wasn't on anywhere near �£10K.

The OP is baseless. Face facts ......

You want loyalty, sign amateurs.

If you sign professionals, drop this nonsense about loyalty, the two are essentially mutually exclusive. Otherwise, enjoy your time in dreamland.

The OP is baseless. Face facts ......

You want loyalty, sign amateurs.

If you sign professionals, drop this nonsense about loyalty, the two are essentially mutually exclusive. Otherwise, enjoy your time in dreamland.

Better leagues and more money comes before loyalty and trophies for most pro's these days.........