Walter Smith has confirmed he wants at least two new signings before the start of the new season.

More...

Rangers manager Walter Smith has confirmed he wants at least two new signings before the start of the new season.

The Gers boss has seen his SPL-winning squad dismantled during the close season with the likes of Kris Boyd, Kevin Thomson, Nacho Novo and DaMarcus Beasley all departing.

Rangers agreed a fee with Burnley for Chris Eagles last week, but the ex-Manchester United youngster was unable to finalise personal terms with the Ibrox outfit.

With city rivals Celtic bringing in five new faces this summer, Smith insists he plans to strengthen, although he is not expecting anything imminent.

"I'm looking to add two or three players to the group," confirmed Smith.

"Bougherra and Edu will join us on Tuesday so that will give the squad a boost but we still need to add more and I'm hopeful we can do that.

"There's nothing imminent but I want a player for the back, the middle and the front.

"The money we received for Thomson will have no bearing on how many we can bring in but there's a little money to spend."

Edited by Frankie

I suppose it still depends if there will be further outgoings as to which positions need filled the most. Its went a bit quiet on Bougherra's future and touch wood I hope it remains that way.

I still think a winger is priority, thats the one position where we dont have a natural player.

Looking at the majority of the squad as it is at the moment:

Keepers are fine - McGregor and Alexander. In the finanical mess we are in I dont think we can ask for better than that.

Centre halfs:

Weir - Signed on for another year and his calmness and composure will play a huge part. I also think Weir had a huge part to play in Wilson's success last season.

Bougherra - Key man and fingers crossed he stays. As Ive mentioned he could even play midfield.

Webster - Had a good season as Dundee utd, been a fiarly good player everywhere he has been except Ibrox. This could be his season.

Broadfoot - Decent move to keep him on as he can fill in well at RB if needed. Just needs to learn how to take throw-ins.

Wilson - Will be interesting to see if he can continue last seasons good form.

Full Backs:

This is an area we are low in.

Whittaker - I actually prefer him at LB but would have Papac ahead of him. He can play either side which is key. There is a chance we could see him as a wide midfielder with Papac and Broadfoot making up the full back roles.

Papac - Consistant performer who always does a good job.

Midfielders:

Davis - Key man!

Edu - He should get his chance and he has the ability to be a good box to box player.

McCulloch - One of WS's favourites. He wasnt too bad last season in midfield, he can also play in the left and upfront. Just dont want to see him in defence again.

Fleck - Big season for Fleck. Would like to see him given a free role.

Strikers:

Miller - Key man for me. Work rate is brilliant, attitiude is brilliant and he got about 17 goals last season. If he was a better finisher he would be superb.

Lafferty - Should be played through the middle. Big season for Kyle and needs to mature a bit, if he does i still think we have a player!

Naismith - I dont rate Naismith especially on the wings. He gets about but doesnt have an end product. Could be an ok squad player.

Velicka - Has a good scoring record but has a lot to prove.

Missed out 1 or 2, especially the young ones who may feature but I dont know enough about them.

We need two wide midfield players as a priority.

We could do with a goalscorer/poacher as well but probably don't have the money to afford one so Velicka may be that man.

Other players may be required if anyone else is sold.

New faces are all well and good but they need to be of the quality required to improve the squad and maintain our competitiveness.

Very true frankie and with the new season just under three weeks away we really need to get these players on board asap and also avoid injuries during our tour of Oz :)

So we have lost Mendes, Rothen, Boyd, Thomson, Novo, Smith and Beasley from our squad at the start of last seson and we have only added Webster, and Walter is only looking to add "two or three players" for a season that's going to include the rigours of CL football? :( :( :(