Walter Smith admits the lack of depth in Rangers' squad has given him cause for concern.

More...

Walter Smith admits the lack of depth in Rangers' squad has given him cause for concern.

The Gers boss fears suspensions and injuries could scupper any hopes the Glasgow giants have of making an impression at home and abroad this term.

Smith has lost five players this summer, as the club look to try and balance their books, with key pair Kris Boyd and Kevin Thomson having departed to Middlesbrough and Stevie Smith, DaMarcus Beasley and Nacho Novo also moving on.

A huge hole has been left in the Gers squad as a result and they may now struggle in their efforts to land a third consecutive SPL crown while making headway in the UEFA Champions League.

"Injuries and suspensions are what worry me right now and more than ever before," said Smith ahead of his squad's pre-season tour of Australia.

Base

"In fact, they are what worry me most as I look towards the new season.

"We still have a strong base of a team and if one or two more could be added that would be great.

"But when you are running with a small squad it's the number of injuries and suspensions that hit you harder.

"You have to factor in the European football and the matches some of the boys will be playing with their national sides in the first part of the season. I can only hope that doesn't take its toll.

"There is no doubt that could inhibit us a bit in terms of any success."

Cards

Smith admits it is imperative his side play with 'discipline' this season, as the last thing they need is to see suspensions mount up.

He added: "We just have to do everything we can to make sure everyone stays as fit as possible, but we have to keep a certain level of discipline in our play as well.

"In fairness to players, there are a lot of times when they get yellow cards for doing very little. But I will be stressing to every player the need to avoid cards.

"If we can keep as many as possible fit and out of trouble with refs then we will be as competitive as we have been in the past.

"But if we can't then we'll have a problem. It will be a bit of a struggle."

I still fail to see how Novo couldn't have been given a new deal. I understand that Smith needed 1st team football, and the Thomson deal, the Boyd thing seems to be more self-orientated...

But who could we sign that would have been better than Nacho? especially with the all-so-public financial limitations...

Well, you've been warning us about this situation for months and have allowed players to leave in the mean-time.

Time to do something about it Walter.

Agreed, he need to address the situation asap.

We can't go into the last day of the window with nobody otherwise it will be a worrying season if not already.

Its a worrying season just now and its parmount that whilst we dont pick up any injuries during our pre-season tour! and another thing is that while we have a thread bare squard injuries will occur and wait till the season starts, other teams will be waiting to put the boot into us! :(

I cant see how the length of Novo's contract couldnt have been negotiated. Nacho was club before anything else and would have probably accepted 1 with the option of a 2nd.

Looking at the players who left he is the one who is standing out as a loss for me. If we had him starting on the right next season it would make a mass difference to the look of the team.

Id say we need 2 first teamers in ASAP.

Novo was offered an improved 1 year deal, but, at 31, he wanted more security and a 2 year deal.

I think we were right to stick to the 1 year deal. The wee man disagreed and found a 2 year deal elsewhere.

Nacho often said he was club before anything Gribz, but the proof was that yet again a player with undying love for the club found it easy to leave for more money/security elsewhere.

Nacho often said he was club before anything Gribz, but the proof was that yet again a player with undying love for the club found it easy to leave for more money/security elsewhere.

I know what you're saying TB, but I also doubt that Nacho found it easy to leave... He left, but it doesn't look as if he really wanted to. More like his hand was forced for the sake of his families' financial security.

Guest Guivarc'h
Novo was offered an improved 1 year deal, but, at 31, he wanted more security and a 2 year deal.

I think we were right to stick to the 1 year deal. The wee man disagreed and found a 2 year deal elsewhere.

The club treated Novo with contempt. From trying to force him out the door to Coventry City in 2006, to offering him a 1 year contract in 2008 when he was only 29 years old. He was as loyal as they come and it's sad to think that some really do think he was in someway disloyal for leaving