Transfer Poker Poll: Are we bluffing or have we already folded?

Are we bluffing or have we folded?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are we bluffing or have we folded?

• Yes, we have a decent budget available
    • No, we'll be lucky to bring in a poor loan signing
    • Undecided

Hardly a day passes by without another player being linked to Rangers - be it in the unofficial media such as newspapers or forums - or even via official comment from Smith/Bain and stories on the club website.

Given we've not paid a fee for a new player since Maurice Edu in 2008, yet have raked in millions since then from Champions League money and player sales, that would suggest we do have some sort of budget to strengthen our squad. Indeed, different figures have been mentioned - ranging from a couple of million to �£5million and beyond.

Of course the club are consistent in trying to play down such figures and definitely don't seem keen on alluding to any kind of budget - even although they have confirmed (or alleged) reasonable transfer fees and wage packages for potential players. For example, Chris Eagles was supposed to be close to arriving on a deal worth around �£2million and �£15K per week over 3 years. That totals up to not far from the unsubstantiated �£5million 'warchest' oft talked about amongst the support.

On the other hand, many fans are rightly cynical when it comes to such issues. Time and time again we're told money is available yet no players come in. Further to that, the hard luck stories are run out when the window eventually closes - 'he didn't want to come', 'we couldn't match another club's offer', 'SDM's private jet is under repair' etc etc. As such, it's difficult to argue with such people when the facts tell us we have the weakest Rangers squad (in terms of numbers) for over 20 years and an overall dearth in quality that will affect our competitiveness for the rapidly approaching season.

Therefore, the issue perhaps comes down to two different scenarios:

1. Do we indeed have a reasonable total budget (say �£5million for fees and wages) and are bluffing a weak position to maximise our activity?

2. Or have MIH/Lloyds/HMRC, absorbed all of income limiting us to another Jerome Rothen type loaning signing if we're lucky?

I'd like to gauge your opinion so we can come back at the end of August and see who has been proven right!

Are we bluffing or have we already folded? :whistle: :box:

Edited by Frankie

Something in between for me. I'm a bit confused as we already supposedly had a budget without needing to sell anyone, and told we could spend the money from player sales, then we sold a couple of players and we still have signed no-one.

Theoretically, if you believe the original statements from the board, we should now have at least �£8M to spend, plus 5 decent wages.

However, getting nervous and I'd now be happy to see us spend �£4M on 4 good players - 2 * �£2M and 2 * bosman/loan.

Maybe it is a game of bluff due to being quoted exorbitant prices for players, but the fans are losing their nerve.

I am going to be positive and say that Walter and Bain are playing a blinder , the press have no real idea of who we are after and what does come out seems positive enough , in that we are looking to strengthen specific positions and that we will not sign anyone for the sake of it .

The other possibility that we have no money and it is all talk is just too depressing to even consider .

The other entity that we have no power over is the EPL ruling on squad sizes which if worked properly could work in our favour , August will be a very interesting month's for many many teams

Edited by rbr

We are going to be called by other other clubs who can see the size of our squad and know how desparate that we are.

We are short-chipped and our opponents don't mind calling given our chip size. Who knows what we are holding though?

I am being negative in the hope that I am proved wrong. So I went for a shitey loan signing I just feel negative at the moment new season coming up no new players in and nearly August. 6 players gone, fair enough not all of them to everyones tastes but at least most of them were squad players.

I'm undecided, but I can't help thinking that the management team being stranded in the land of the Kangaroo for two weeks doesn't particularly help and that this might have been the right summer to decide to just play some friendlies at home & within the UK. I think most fans like myself would rather be seeing photos of some potential players/signings on trial at Auchenhowie than management & players 'posing' for photos on hotel rooftops or in front of weird looking Aussie plant life.