Rangers to trial Arsenal youngster on ex-Celtic boss� recommendation

Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:14:03 GMT

Rangers will give a trial to Arsenal youngster Nacer Barazite in their friendly with Glentoran on Tuesday night. The 20-year-old, who has made three appearances for the Gunners, was recommended to the SPL champions by former Celtic manager Liam Brady.

Brady, who is now involved with the London club�s youth academy, made it possible for Ian Durrant to include the Dutch forward in his squad for the game, which will see a youthful Rangers line-up take to the field.

The performance of Barazite on the evening will be of particular interest to Gers boss Walter Smith, who has previously spoken of his desire to sign wide players to bolster his squad ahead of the new season.

ââ?¬Å?The squad will be mostly made up of reserve players but it is still very strong and there are players here who have already, or will this season, play in the first team,ââ?¬Â Durrant told the Belfast Telegraph ahead of the game against Glentoran.

ââ?¬Å?We will have a young lad on trial for us called Nacer Barazite who comes to us from Arsenal and was highly recommended by Liam Brady and that will be a good opportunity for us and the Rangers fans in Belfast to have a look at him.ââ?¬Â

Barazite, who was born in Nijmegen in Holland to Moroccan parents, is a current Under-21 international with Oranje. He has also represented his country at Under-17, Under-19 and Under-20 levels, featuring in the Under-17 European Championship in 2007.

A versatile attacking player, 6ft 2in Barazite spent the 2008/09 season on loan at Derby County, playing 36 times for the Rams as they reached the semi-finals of the Carling Cup. It was in the same competition the player made his three appearances under Arsene Wenger, last playing in the game with West Bromwich Albion in September 2009.

Barazite is capable of playing in any position going forward, having been deployed all across the midfield and up front for Arsenal as he has worked his way through the ranks. During his time at Derby, he featured mainly on the right wing.

Wouldn't like Wylde or Fleck falling down the pecking order to accomodate another club's youngster. Not unless he's amazing

Aye, I'm the same.When it comes to loan players I'd rather see our own getting an opportunity,unless it is an experienced player who is going to come straight into the first team and perform

He is supposed to be pretty good actually but more of a forward than a winger according to the Gooner I've consulted this morning.

Technical player with finishing his best strength - ala Berbatov in style apparently; though not so lazy.

Edited by Frankie

Aye, I'm the same.When it comes to loan players I'd rather see our own getting an opportunity,unless it is an experienced player who is going to come straight into the first team and perform

I can't see them taking him on loan for a season if they don't think he is gd enough for the first team, likewise arsene wenger letting him go out on loan if he isn't going to play first team football that would just be pointless from both clubs view!

I can't see them taking him on loan for a season if they don't think he is gd enough for the first team, likewise arsene wenger letting him go out on loan if he isn't going to play first team football that would just be pointless from both clubs view!

Aye,agreed,I'm just a wee bit aprehensive with youngsters coming on loan from other clubs,we've not really had any before that have done anything,I think:), but if he's as good as being reported then hopefully he can improve our team