Walter Smith hopes to conclude the signings of James Beattie and Tommy Smith before Saturday�s SPL opener with Kilmarnock at Ibrox.

The Rangers manager says he has not totally given up on his pursuit of Rapid Vienna striker Nikica Jelavic ââ?¬â?? but that deal appears to be all but dead unless the player lowers his financial demands.

Beattie is set to cost around �£1.5million from Stoke City and was on his way to Glasgow for contract talks with chief executive Martin Bain.

Rangers are believed to have offered �£900,000 to Portsmouth for Smith and were waiting on an answer from the Championship side before entering into wage talks.

The Rangers manager confirmed today: ââ?¬Å?We are in negotiations with Stoke and Portsmouth for the signings of James Beattie and Tommy Smith respectively.

ââ?¬Å?It is difficult to say just how long it will take to conclude these signings ââ?¬â?? but we hope to complete both deals in time for the weekend.ââ?¬Â

Beattie would look the more likely deal to be pushed through, with Pompey boss Steve Cotterrill insisting of Smith: ââ?¬Å?He isnââ?¬â?¢t a players weââ?¬â?¢d be looking to lose.

ââ?¬Å?Heââ?¬â?¢s a good player, and whatââ?¬â?¢s been offered wouldnââ?¬â?¢t be the figure weââ?¬â?¢d put on him if we did want to sell.ââ?¬Â

Jelavic�s protracted transfer from Rapid Vienna has rumbled on for the best part of two weeks.

Rangers have tabled a transfer package of close to �£4million for the 24-year-old, with a �£16,000 a week wage offer, but he is sue a slice of any sale and senior sources at Ibrox, privately, have all but given up hope of his arrival unless there is a change in stance on his behalf.

Smith explained: ââ?¬Å?As for Jelavic, I admit that one is looking more doubtful as there are complications there that we had not foreseen.

ââ?¬Å?Things have not gone smoothly ââ?¬â?? but we have by no means given up on bringing him to the club.ââ?¬Â

Smith will also arrange a closed-door game for Honduran international Georgie Welcome early next week in order to make a final decision on whether�s he�s worth a deal.

He was denied a work permit to play in a second-string game against Glentoran this week and could face red-tape issues. Arsenal kid Nacer Barazite also remains on trial.

Smith said: ââ?¬Å?Welcome has been unfortunate in that he is not allowed to play in any public games and so we are in the process of arranging a closed-door game and we will make a decision on him after that. As for Nacer, we will continue to look at him.ââ?¬Â

Smith also confirmed that he will continue to work right up to the closure of the transfer window on August 31 as he bids to beef up his squad.

ââ?¬Å?We have only 14 experienced players in our squad right now and it is obvious that we need to add more in terms of quality and experience,ââ?¬Â he added.

ââ?¬Å?We have been working on a number of other deals, but these players are in demand elsewhere and that has made it difficult.

ââ?¬Å?But we will keep working on things until the closure of the transfer window ââ?¬â?? and we hope to be able to bring in another couple of new faces above the players I have discussed.ââ?¬Â

Meanwhile, Kenny Miller should be fit for Killie despite suffering from shin splints.

Smith said: ââ?¬Å?Kenny has been struggling, but the fact he has not played midweek for Scotland should allow him to be OK for Saturday.

ââ?¬Å?It is not a chronic condition with him so that bit of rest should have sorted things.ââ?¬Â

But the Rangers manager confirmed that Lee McCulloch, who is in any case suspended for the SPL opener, will need up to a fortnight to recover from the virus he is suffering from.

Smith said: ââ?¬Å?Lee picked up the virus coming back from Australia and we expect him to take another couple of weeks to make a full recovery.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/walter-smith-confirms-beattie-and-smith-deals-1.1047824

The best thing about that whole article was the reminder that McCulloch is suspended for the Killie game!!

Signing those 2 overpriced, overrated has beens from minor English clubs, no doubt on huge wages (for us) does not fill me with any great sense of hope.

I am actually raging if it turns out we have paid �£1.5M for a 32yo striker whose last good season was... well I dont remember. On a free and a max wage of �£12Kpw I would say it was worth a punt, or a loan deal to see if it works out, but a 7 figure fee that we wont get anything back on is nothing short of a disgrace and is not the way we need to run the club at this time.

Guest Flying Hippo

Just a little clarity for those who think that Beattie has been washed up for years

07/08 season - 22 goals in 41 games

08/09 season - 19 goals in 40 games

09/10 season - 2 goals in 24 games

He's had one bad season after two very good ones. He isn't finished.

Edited by Flying Hippo

Guest Flying Hippo
Since and including 2008 to present, Beattie has scored 9 goals

Wrong

He scored 12 goals for Sheffield United in the first half of the 08/09 season before joining Stoke in January 2009

Again - less talk; more action.

The failure to sign new players is farcical.

Frankie I would rather walter took his time to find the new signings instead of jumping in like the *******s and making a flurry of rash signings, although I agree that it would have been better to get them in earlier to gel with the team, I have complete faith in walter smith and whoever he brings in. I say be patient because we will bring in a few players!

Wrong

He scored 12 goals for Sheffield United in the first half of the 08/09 season before joining Stoke in January 2009

Give you that FH, making 21 since 2008 SU and Stoke'

Ian 1964, if we were replacing the departed with something better and younger, bring him on, we aren't..panic buy if it happens...I just hope this is not a repeat of blowing 10 IAR.