Rangers and Toronto are both pursuing Honduras� World Cup left back Emilio Izaguirre, according to reports from Central America. The defender, who can also play in midfield, is expected to conclude a transfer in the next few days but it is not clear who has won the battle for his signature.

Izaguirre, who has 44 caps for his country, plays his football for Deportivo Motagua along with Georgie Welcome, who is currently on trial at Ibrox. He has already declared his wish to play abroad and looks like getting his chance within the next week.

Izaguirre is said to be the subject of bids from MLS side Toronto FC as well as Rangers, while Wigan Athletic have a long-standing interest in the player. However, Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has said that although he admires many of the Honduran players he will not be signing any for the coming season.

The international defender�s future should be known soon, with Motagua president Pedro Atala saying a transfer is imminent, though he would not disclose the name of the buying club.

"With Milo [izaguirre] it is a situation of hours. It may be this weekend or next week, but it is a matter of hours," Atala is qouted as saying in Honduran newspaper Diez.

"We still have don�t have a final settlement of the negotiation and until it is closed I will not say where he will go, for obvious reasons, and so as not to spoil the negotiations, which are well advanced."

Izaguirre�s club and country team-mate Welcome has had his trial at Rangers extended, though he is not allowed to play in any fixtures as he does not have a work permit. However, Walter Smith said he would be looking to arrange a bounce game next week in order to fully assess the striker�s ability.

Can safely say I've not heard of him but this is the second LB we've been linked to in recent weeks.

left back ? Really ? We have Papac and both Whittaker & Broadfoot can dependably cover in Papac's absence (or enforced move inside to CB). So why a left back ?

It really does confuse me the way WS tells us we need "wide midfielders" - and then we are linked to nothing but strikers and full backs.

Is our signing policy really one of just throwing shit at a board and hoping some sticks ?

This pre-season signing targets reminds me of the desperation buying when we got put out by Kaunas *shudders* - we ended up buying a bunch of central midfielders and strikers.

Wouldnt it be a novelty if we actually pinpointed the areas of the pitch that we actually had a NEED for new faces ??

That said.... WS HAS returned us 2 league titles on the bounce so I will respect his judgement.

left back ? Really ? We have Papac and both Whittaker & Broadfoot can dependably cover in Papac's absence (or enforced move inside to CB). So why a left back ?

It really does confuse me the way WS tells us we need "wide midfielders" - and then we are linked to nothing but strikers and full backs.

Is our signing policy really one of just throwing shit at a board and hoping some sticks ?

This pre-season signing targets reminds me of the desperation buying when we got put out by Kaunas *shudders* - we ended up buying a bunch of central midfielders and strikers.

Wouldnt it be a novelty if we actually pinpointed the areas of the pitch that we actually had a NEED for new faces ??

That said.... WS HAS returned us 2 league titles on the bounce so I will respect his judgement.

Full backs would have been my second choice after wingers. This is only the second time we have been linked with a full back iirc.