Guest Northampton_loyalist
He appears to have lost a bit of weight, a prerequisite for that type of injury, as the repaired shock absorber never for some strange reason is able to absorb its former pre-injury loads.

as a cronic sufferer of knee problems, this is very very true. I have been working on my fitness of late and it is very noticable that as the weight has come off (only a stone in fairness) the pain in my knees has decreased. Anecdotal evidence obviously prooves beyond doubt that you are correct :D

He is a good finisher, but age and injury prone. It is not a recipe I thought we would fall for again. I truly hope the lad does well. Indeed I hope he proves utterly wrong.

Welcome to Rangers James....

Guest Flying Hippo

When did our fans become so obsessed with sell on value? Probably around the same time the club lost all ambition i guess

We have McGregor, Davis, and Bougherra who could pocket us about �£15 million tommorow if we decided to sell all 3. Also, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Beattie scores goals for fun and an EPL team (probably battling relegation) offers us our �£1.5 million back or more

When did our fans become so obsessed with sell on value? Probably around the same time the club lost all ambition i guess

We have McGregor, Davis, and Bougherra who could pocket us about �£15 million tommorow if we decided to sell all 3. Also, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Beattie scores goals for fun and an EPL team (probably battling relegation) offers us our �£1.5 million back or more

Nobody is obsesed with it, but it cant have escaped your notice that we are not in great financial health. surely? It is not accepting downsizing to be aware of our situation, it is realising where we are and what we need to do to become a viable going concern in terms of successful football for more than a season at a time.

A younger man for that money is no real risk and he will either stay for a long while or realise a fee when he leaves. Beattie, success or flop, represents �£1.5 million plus wages that we will never see again in any shape or form and his career is not likely to last another 10 years.

In our situation I would prefer to see us signing younger guys, it makes sense on pretty much every level, bar maybe experience and we have plenty of that anyway.

Guest Flying Hippo

The fans who bang on about only signing players who we can sell for a massive profit, are the same ones who whine incessantly when these players are actually sold

I for one am pleased with this signing. He's a natural goalscorer who will do well in the SPL, and his EPL experience may help in the CL.

Ok, he's not David Villa, but I can't help but consider this a shrewd piece of business.

Guest Flying Hippo
I for one am pleased with this signing. He's a natural goalscorer who will do well in the SPL, and his EPL experience may help in the CL.

Ok, he's not David Villa, but I can't help but consider this a shrewd piece of business.

Considering Celtic paid a combined fee of almost �£4 million for Daryl Murphy and Garry Hooper, i share your belief in the shrewdness of this signing

The fans who bang on about only signing players who we can sell for a massive profit, are the same ones who whine incessantly when these players are actually sold

You have not been paying attention then. You wuill not find one single moan, let alone an incessant moaning, from me. I accepted fully, and said so at length on the recent Boyd thread, that Thommo going was the right move in terms of the money. 'Catch all' little sentances rarely work.

All this 'you are accepting downsizing' bullshit....Yes, I am accepting it I guess, and for one simple reason. The club lived outwith it's means for a decade (after getting to debt free after ANOTHER decade of mis-management) and landed us in the situation we are in today. One player in 2 years and a host of players out the door. Whether it is pretty or fun or not, we NEED to downsize, the previous levels of spending were pretty obviously unsustainable.

We can rant and rave all we want but the actual facts are very simple. We can only afford to spend what we generate, and we can only even get to spending what we generate when we have cleared the debt. Until then, yes, we need to downsize, and not before fucking time too. There are ways to be a success outwith spending fortunes but we will not be able to impliment them until the debt is gone and (hopefully) Murray is away (which wont happen until the debt is away). Until then I would personally prefer younger guys who either offer a good few years for the fee or who will offer a profit if/when sold. When things change then great, look at getting/rearing and keeping guys, until then we need to box clever. I like the guy as a player and he is certainly saying the right things, but I personally dont think he is the right type of target.

Guest Flying Hippo
You have not been paying attention then. You wuill not find one single moan, let alone an incessant moaning, from me. I accepted fully, and said so at length on the recent Boyd thread, that Thommo going was the right move in terms of the money. 'Catch all' little sentances rarely work.

All this 'you are accepting downsizing' bullshit....Yes, I am accepting it I guess, and for one simple reason. The club lived outwith it's means for a decade (after getting to debt free after ANOTHER decade of mis-management) and landed us in the situation we are in today. One player in 2 years and a host of players out the door. Whether it is pretty or fun or not, we NEED to downsize, the previous levels of spending were pretty obviously unsustainable.

We can rant and rave all we want but the actual facts are very simple. We can only afford to spend what we generate, and we can only even get to spending what we generate when we have cleared the debt. Until then, yes, we need to downsize, and not before fucking time too. There are ways to be a success outwith spending fortunes but we will not be able to impliment them until the debt is gone and (hopefully) Murray is away (which wont happen until the debt is away). Until then I would personally prefer younger guys who either offer a good few years for the fee or who will offer a profit if/when sold. When things change then great, look at getting/rearing and keeping guys, until then we need to box clever. I like the guy as a player and he is certainly saying the right things, but I personally dont think he is the right type of target.

I don't like fans who say things that they don't really mean. Maybe you aren't one of them, but when a fan says something like "great signing and we'll make a massive profit on him in 2 years time!" i don't for one second believe that the prospect of making a big profit on them means a thing to them

Yeah i get the financial need for it. My beef isn't with actually doing it. Just those who make out like they're totally comfortable with it and wouldn't complain when the player actually went

Edited by Flying Hippo