THE smog cloaking Moscow could not obscure Aiden McGeady�s vision of the future.

Being shuttled around a city wreathed in the smoke from spectacular forest fires, the 24-year-old was quickly coming to a decision. Or, rather, two decisions.

He wanted to be in Moscow and he wanted to be out of Glasgow. The move from Celtic to Spartak Moscow was thus inevitable.

McGeady is aware that his �£10m transfer caused surprise, even shock in some quarters. The player had been linked with Barclays Premier League clubs, with Aston Villa leading the chase. Surely, the winger would be joining up with Martin Oâ��Neill? But that move foundered as the squalls at Villa Park gathered to produce the perfect storm that led Oâ��Neill to walk away from the club.

In contrast, McGeady took a voyage of discovery. He flew to Moscow, talked to Spartak officials and seized the chance to accept another challenge.

He will, of course, be handsomely compensated for his career move. Estimates of his wage range from �£40,000 to �£60,000 a week. McGeady will not discuss financial terms, but as a wealthy young man his protestations that money was not the deciding factor carry some weight.

ââ?¬Å?What they were offering, not in terms of money but on the football side, was far greater than any other team who came in for me,ââ?¬Â he said of Spartak. ââ?¬Å?The lure of the Champions League was huge. And this is a better league, too. I also know that people get transfers from the Russian league to Serie A, to the Premiership, to La Liga. Frankly, it was best for everyone if I moved on.ââ?¬Â

His first experience of the city sealed the move. As pedestrians coughed and spluttered under the fumes from fires, McGeady sat and quietly assessed what lay before him.

ââ?¬Å?It was hectic, very cosmopolitan. I liked it immediately. I was trying to get my head round the idea that I would be here permanently. I wanted to see if I could see myself living there, and I could.ââ?¬Â

His mind was almost made up before he stepped on the plane to leave Glasgow. McGeady was becoming restless, tired of living in a city where he could rarely feel at ease and increasingly appalled at the level of abuse directed at him.

ââ?¬Å?I was getting fed up with Glasgow. I wanted to leave. Nothing against Celtic ââ?¬â?? itââ?¬â?¢s Glasgow,ââ?¬Â he said.

ââ?¬Å?If you are not a footballer, it is a great city to live in. There are loads of things to do and the people are very friendly but as a footballer it can be a nightmare. When you are out everybody either wants to shake your hand and praise you or they want to have a go at you. If you have a bad result, then even going to the shops is difficult.

ââ?¬Å?You are hiding your face as you go past a group of people because they will shout at you. Moscow is bigger and maybe I can disappear into it a wee bit.ââ?¬Â

McGeadyââ?¬â?¢s decision to play for the Republic of Ireland made him a target for a heightened level of abuse from the stands. ââ?¬Å?There are a lot of horrible places in Scotland for that type of thing: Tynecastle, Ibrox obviously is always going to be bad with the Celtic-Rangers rivalry, Motherwell, Falkirk. Some fans there hate everything Celtic stand for and everything I stand for as an Irish Catholic playing for Celtic.ââ?¬Â

There is a defiance, however, to McGeady. ââ?¬Å?You enjoy going to those places because it makes it even better when you win,ââ?¬Â he said.

He was always aware that to play for the Republic was to place himself squarely in front of ferocious criticism. He was warned when he made the decision as a teenager that the reaction would not be pleasant, but McGeady was surprised at the vehemence of what followed.

ââ?¬Å?It begins in the warm-ups before games with all sorts of stuff being shouted at you, even from little kids,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?Fair enough, you can have a shout at somebody. Every footballer expects that, but some of the stuff ââ?¬Â¦ you would not get away with it in any other walk of life but because you are a footballer you are expected to tolerate it. But if it happened in public, on a street, then nobody would be surprised if it developed into a fight. It is unbelievable what some people shout.ââ?¬Â

He has never regretted his decision to choose to play for Ireland. ââ?¬Å?When I made my debut for Celtic there was a huge fuss made about it. Now I am fed up talking about it.ââ?¬Â

McGeady is, though, content about how his life has developed. ââ?¬Å?I am not afraid to make decisions. If I feel it is the right thing to do, then I will do it. It is that simple. And I will live with the consequences. I have lived with the Ireland thing for years. But I am happy with what I decided. Yes, it turned people against me. But I am not there to be anybodyââ?¬â?¢s mate.ââ?¬Â

He deals with criticism boldly and without any attempt at false modesty. ââ?¬Å?I know what level of footballer I am. I know I can be better but some of the stuff levelled at me was just nonsense.ââ?¬Â

McGeady addresses the two major criticisms he has faced as a Celtic player. The first is his goalscoring, though his record of one goal every five games is not too shabby. ââ?¬Å?I want to score more,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?I remember when I was younger and was in the youth team I used to score a lot of goals. I was a great finisher. I made my debut playing as a second striker but as I have played more and more out wide I have seemed to lost that part of my game, that ability to slot in the chances. I have lost that instinct to score. I want that back.ââ?¬Â

The second criticism concerns the ââ?¬Å?no end productââ?¬Â mantra that has been a constant refrain by McGeadyââ?¬â?¢s critics.

ââ?¬Å?How many times have I heard that from people saying that my end product is not good enough? Everybody can improve and I will try to do so, but what other winger sets up 14 goals in a season and does not take corners or free-kicks?

ââ?¬Å?It is funny how people ignore statistics when they do not suit them. Pundits say it all the time and viewers and readers have it driven into them so they start to believe it. To be honest, it does my head in a wee bit and I will be glad to get away from that.ââ?¬Â

The overwhelming impression is of a young man ready to move on. ââ?¬Å?It is a life experience. It is one of those things I will enjoy,ââ?¬Â he said of life in Moscow. ââ?¬Å?If I was not a footballer, I would like to go travelling.ââ?¬Â

He added: ââ?¬Å?I hear people saying it is a bad move. Can anybody explain that to me? What if I stayed at Celtic and they were struggling and I am off form or am injured? I would be regretting the chance not to go. I donââ?¬â?¢t see in any way that it can be a bad move.ââ?¬Â

McGeady, though, knows it will be a wrench leaving a club he loves and a family that is close.

ââ?¬Å?Of course, there will be will be difficulties at first. I expect that. I can see why a lot of people would say no to Spartak because it is a tough move to make. I accept that but I am determined to get through it. I like the city already and it is a better level of football with the Champions League in the offing.ââ?¬Â

He will, of course, be back in Glasgow regularly, perhaps on football business. The Champions League draw could bring him back to the city to face Rangers. He chuckles at the prospect.

McGeady could also return later in his career to the club that nurtured him. ââ?¬Å?I will definitely miss Celtic Park,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?It is a great place to play football. It was an exhilarating arena especially when you were playing well. The noise level was incredible on Champions League nights or Old Firm matches. It was tremendous to hear the roar if you got past the full-back.

ââ?¬Å?So every footballer would want to play there. Never say never. I am a Celtic fan so anything is possible. Celtic would be a good place to come back to play the last years of my career if they wanted me and I could still perform at that level.ââ?¬Â

That is in the distant future. McGeady remains focused on his challenge in Moscow. ââ?¬Å?I am just desperate to play,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?I have only been on the park for 55 minutes this season. I want to go and win trophies for my new club. We are capable of doing well in the league and the Champions League is a fantastic prospect.ââ?¬Â

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/celtic/exclusive-aiden-mcgeady-explains-how-leaving-glasgow-is-the-most-eloquent-answer-to-his-detractors-1.1048663