Draw for the CL

Such optimism!

Whilst there's a reasonable chance we'll do as badly as last year, there's also a reasonable chance we'll have learned from those mistakes

If we get a group like Utd, Madrid and Twente, we will get farked whether we've learned lessons or not.

Funny, I had just been looking at this situation this morning before seeing this thread, and all 4 clubs above us in the seedings that are playing in the play off round are by no means certain of taking their places, although all will be favourites to do so.

Given that we will almost certainly be in pot 3, it gives us a great chance of a real glamour draw, however that also improves the risk of a spanking!

I am about to go on my annual praying mission to get Real Madrid to come out of the bowl into the same group as us. Please please please this year make it happen.

So far I have done 35 away European trips, against teams from 17 different countries, but i've only been to 15 different countries. So I like to try and get to countries I have not been to before, and pot 4 usually gives you the chance to do that. In pot 4 just now I am looking to avoid Copenhagen, Twente and Cluj, as the other 5 (if all seeded teams get through), will present a new destination for me personally.

Strangely, there are 2 Russain teams in pot 4, and although I have seen Rangers play 2 Russain teams, neither game was in Russia. Zenit obviously, and Anzhi in 2001 was played in Poland due to there being a war going on in that remote part of Russia at that time. But I would prefer Sparta as a wee trip to Prague would be nice.

So that leaves pot 1, and I am keen to avoid an English team, as that is too close and doesnt feel like a Euro trip, and having been to Barca, Bayern (although not their new stadium) and Seville, that only leaves the San Siro, which is on my list of "must see the Rangers in", so facing the holders first up in their own stadium would be quite something.

From a footballing POV, a group of Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Rangers, Sparta Prague spells real trouble and would have Timmy heading for the bookies in their droves to put on their annual "Rangers 0 points" bets that they never win on, but from a travelling fans selfish POV, that would be a dream draw for me, and probably for our money men at Ibrox to come up with the over-priced 3 game package.

From a footballing POV, perhaps AC Milan, Benfica and Copenhagen/Hapoel would give us some optimistic hope of earning some decent prize money.

I was talking to a mate about this... but as strange as it sounds, I think the best draw for us would be 2 glamour games (eg Man U and Real) and then a poorer wee team from pot 4. That way we get the exciting big teams, maybe get a point at Ibrox vs one of them, and leaves us with a home win and an away draw against seed 4 and make it into the europa league! less chance of the big teams failing against the small team.

Maybe not the most optimistic, and I know Weiss was talking about last 16... It would be great to get to the quarters or so, and keep doing that regularly of the europa league... although the strain that would put on the squad for the league campaign could be a concern!

As good a place as any:

English teams continue to dominate the Champions League in financial terms even if they failed on the pitch, figures released today by UEFA have revealed.

Despite not progressing beyond the quarter-finals, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool earned a combined total of �£114.6million from television and prize money alone from last season's tournament.

That figure reflects the high value of the new ITV and Sky broadcasting deals for the competition and is comfortably higher that the �£95m earned by the four Italian teams including champions Inter Milan, and the �£86m by the four Spanish teams in the competition.

Inter Milan were the top individual earners with �£39.8m followed by Manchester United with �£37.4m.

Arsenal, who also made the quarter-finals, earned �£27.3m with Chelsea making �£26.3m and Liverpool �£23.6m.

The figures reflect a 25 per cent increase in the value of the broadcast deals being paid by ITV and Sky for the television rights for the 2009-12 period and apart from Chelsea, each English club enjoyed an average 10-15 per cent rise compared to the previous season despite having a less successful Champions League.

The figures also highlight the discrepancy with sums earned from the new Europa League, even though that competition has been boosted by central marketing of TV and sponsorship rights.

Beaten finalists Fulham earned �£8.1m, while Everton's income was �£2.8m, and Liverpool earned �£2.3m after dropping down from the Champions League for the knock-out phase.

The disparity is even sharper in Scotland where Rangers earned �£14m for their part in the Champions League, almost ten times as much as Celtic's �£1.5m for their Europa League run.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1305459/Liverpool-Manchester-United-Chelsea-Arsenal-kings-cash-despite-Euro-failures.html#ixzz0xRRd4crj

Why are people underestimating Twente? I thought they'd be one of the teams we'd want to be giving a miss too?

Maybe Pete can give a little more info on them. Didn't they win the Dutch League 2 seasons ago?

Why are people underestimating Twente? I thought they'd be one of the teams we'd want to be giving a miss too?

Maybe Pete can give a little more info on them. Didn't they win the Dutch League 2 seasons ago?

Twente were champions the last season that is why they are in the CL directly. I think you should underestimate them at your pearl. They have a very good team. They press high up the pitch so as they have most of the ball possession. In the Dutch super-cup they played Ajax off the park beating them just 1-0 but in play it was very one-sided. The only thing that might weaken Twente is that some of their best players are being reported to be leaving for other clubs which may weaken them.

The one good thing about us getting Twente is that i would be there as I have been promised a ticket from a couple of sources.:robbo:

All a bit quiet about this. It's tomorrow at 5pm on SSN.

Sevilla are out, so Lyon take their place in pot 1. We're going to get a tough draw no matter who we get.

For glamour you'd want Chelsea/Arsenal, Real Madrid and Twente.

For a slight chance of going through, Lyon, ... actually looking at the pot 2 teams none of them strike me as teams we can beat...

Guest Flying Hippo

Pot 1

Inter

Barca

United

Chelsea

Arsenal

Milan

Bayern

Lyon

Pot 2

Bremen

Madrid

Roma

Shakhtar

Benfica

Valencia

Marseille

Ajax

Pot 3

Auxerre

Panathinaikos

Spurs

Rangers

Braga

Schalke

Basel

Partizan

Pot 4

FC Copenhagen

Spartak Moscow

Hapoel Tel-Aviv

MSK Zilina

FC Twente

Rubin Kazan

CFR Clurj

Bursapor

Guest Flying Hippo

I've changed my initial stance about wanting an English club. I feel that we could beat AC Milan if we had a bit of luck on our side. Celtic managed it and Milan are a worse team now than they were then

My favoured group:

AC Milan

Marseille

Rangers

FC Copenhagen

Second choice:

Bayern Munich

Ajax

Rangers

MSK Zilina

Lyon would be the easiest team from Pot 1 but it's too soon after we last played them. I want new opposition. I also don't want trips to Russia, Ukraine, or Israel

Edited by Flying Hippo