Rangers 2 - 1 St Johnstone: Player Ratings and MoM Poll

Rangers retain unbeaten start to new season as we enter two week break for international football.

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/2010/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=293:rangers-2-1-st-johnstone-player-ratings-and-mom-poll&catid=35:analysis&Itemid=67

Poor performance from the team on Saturday with few individuals really sticking out as MotM contenders. I'll give it to :vw: though as he was on most dangerous player and did create the first goal. Thought Whittaker played well but his final ball and decision-making were very poor.

Yep, I would give it to Weiss too. Definately the most dangerous player on the pitch, even if our pedestrian passing and lack of movement didn't allow us to take full advantage. We need to be feeding him the ball much earlier to reduce the number of times defences are able to double up on him. We also need players to be much quicker in providing support. There's no point in passing to him when he's already double marked, but with no-one offering themselves up in a bit of space to give him the option of a give-and-go or a one-two that could enable him to use his pace and get past the defenders.

One slight negative on Weiss was that he was too obvious in cutting onto his right foot. The St Johnstone defence were able to read him fairly easily in the end, especially as they had two men marking him for the most part.

Yep, I would give it to Weiss too. Definately the most dangerous player on the pitch, even if our pedestrian passing and lack of movement didn't allow us to take full advantage. We need to be feeding him the ball much earlier to reduce the number of times defences are able to double up on him. We also need players to be much quicker in providing support. There's no point in passing to him when he's already double marked, but with no-one offering themselves up in a bit of space to give him the option of a give-and-go or a one-two that could enable him to use his pace and get past the defenders.

One slight negative on Weiss was that he was too obvious in cutting onto his right foot. The St Johnstone defence were able to read him fairly easily in the end, especially as they had two men marking him for the most part.

Question is, why does Smith constantly destroy players effectiveness by playing them out of position, as he did with Weiss, another Basile in the making ?

Question is, why does Smith constantly destroy players effectiveness by playing them out of position, as he did with Weiss, another Basile in the making ?

I wouldn't say that he is being played out of position. As is always the case with wide players, they can often switch wings quite effectively. He appears to be right footed and therefore likely to cut in from the left, but I think the biggest problem was the lack of support he was being given by his team-mates - none of whom seemed to be within 25 yards when he needed them.

I wouldn't say that he is being played out of position. As is always the case with wide players, they can often switch wings quite effectively. He appears to be right footed and therefore likely to cut in from the left, but I think the biggest problem was the lack of support he was being given by his team-mates - none of whom seemed to be within 25 yards when he needed them.

How far out of position does he need to be, he is a right winger.

Like many managers, Smith chooses to accommodate players even if they may not be in their preferred position per se.

For example Naismith has started the season very well on the right so Weiss had to settle for a role on the left (one he's played for other teams and where he created the 2nd goal against Hibs).

I would be critical of Smith (or McCoist as I think he seems to be making most of the decisions in situ nowadays) in that - as Stewarty touches on - Weiss and Naismith should have switched wings more often. Weiss certainly seems much more comfortable on his right foot so he should have been given more opportunity to use that on the outside as opposed to having to cut inside.

I felt Papac supported him reasonably well (as did Whittaker on the other flank for Naismith) but it was actually the poor movement of the attackers and the anonymous nature of Davis that caused us problems creatively on Saturday.

Like many managers, Smith chooses to accommodate players even if they may not be in their preferred position per se.

For example Naismith has started the season very well on the right so Weiss had to settle for a role on the left (one he's played for other teams and where he created the 2nd goal against Hibs).

I would be critical of Smith (or McCoist as I think he seems to be making most of the decisions in situ nowadays) in that - as Stewarty touches on - Weiss and Naismith should have switched wings more often. Weiss certainly seems much more comfortable on his right foot so he should have been given more opportunity to use that on the outside as opposed to having to cut inside.

I felt Papac supported him reasonably well (as did Whittaker on the other flank for Naismith) but it was actually the poor movement of the attackers and the anonymous nature of Davis that caused us problems creatively on Saturday.

Still begs the question Frankie, if you and a blind man and his dug can see this, why can't the management, plural.

Still begs the question Frankie, if you and a blind man and his dug can see this, why can't the management, plural.

As I've said previously Smith has bases his success (relatively speaking) on being a percentage-based, prudent and patient manager.

While others (myself included) would have taken off McCulloch to be more attacking, moved Weiss from one flank to the other and/or brought on Jelavic much earlier; Smith sticks by his decisions and largely speaking is proven correct; even if the product may be as frustrating and as inconsistent as some posters' contributions on forums like these.

What you see is what you get with Walter Smith. It isn't usually very pretty but, in Scotland at least, it works. As such, the debate isn't about that but how we get more than the status quo while cutting our cloth accordingly.

I don't see many answers to that very difficult conundrum.

As I've said previously Smith has bases his success (relatively speaking) on being a percentage-based, prudent and patient manager.

While others (myself included) would have taken off McCulloch to be more attacking, moved Weiss from one flank to the other and/or brought on Jelavic much earlier; Smith sticks by his decisions and largely speaking is proven correct; even if the product may be as frustrating and as inconsistent as some posters' contributions on forums like these.

What you see is what you get with Walter Smith. It isn't usually very pretty but, in Scotland at least, it works. As such, the debate isn't about that but how we get more than the status quo while cutting our cloth accordingly.

I don't see many answers to that very difficult conundrum.

The answer has been there for a long time, Smith is OK in Scotland, but there again given the resources that we have in relative terms applied to our little country and its two horse race, most indigenous managers with an elementary grasp, would be just as good as our manager.

Despite flirting with success in Europe, Walter has never been able to make the step up on a consistent basis, that despite Murray's spiel about budgeting without a reliance on a great deal of euro dosh is our problem.

We have been living or attempting to dine at the top table, when we didn't have the price of the meal.

I lay that squarely at the door of the management, others will disagree that is their prerogative.

Saying we need a better manager (or more tactical aware one) and/or a better run club with a better owner(board of directors may be an answer but it doesn't solve the problem.

Supplying a workable alternative is much more difficult and is probably more suitable for a different thread to this one.

Let's keep it on topic please. :)