GERS begin defence of trophy

More...

RANGERS will learn their opponents in the Co-operative Insurance Cup third round when the draw takes place at Hampden tomorrow.

The holders and the other top SPL sides come in at this stage - the last 16 - and there will be two pots of eight seeds and eight non-seeds.

The Light Blues, of course, won the trophy in dramatic fashion last season when they had two men sent off - Kevin Thomson and Danny Wilson - but amazingly triumphed through Kenny Miller's header which sunk St Mirren.

It will be former first minister Jack McConnell - now Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale - who will draw out the teams at 2.30pm.

The seedings are as follows:

Seeded                                Unseeded
1 Rangers                          09 Kilmarnock
2 Celtic                               10 Falkirk
3 Dundee Utd                   11 Inverness
4 Hibernian                       12 Dunfermline
5 Motherwell                     13 Queen of South
6 Hearts                            14 Ross County
7 St Johnstone                15 Raith Rovers
8 Aberdeen                       16 Brechin City

The third matches are due to take place on Tuesday September 21 and Wednesday September 22.

The quarter-finals take place on October 26 and 27 with the semi-finals on February 1 and 2 and the Final on Sunday, March 20, 2011.

Edited by Frankie

A home draw against a minnow would be good. Give some youngsters and the fringe players (both of them!) some game time and an opportunity to impress. Also, a wee pay day for the minnows...

Also, I would even go as far as to say we should play the youngsters for as long as we are in the competition. We need to see what they are capable of, and that includes against better teams should they make it into the later rounds.

A home draw against a minnow would be good. Give some youngsters and the fringe players (both of them!) some game time and an opportunity to impress. Also, a wee pay day for the minnows...

Also, I would even go as far as to say we should play the youngsters for as long as we are in the competition. We need to see what they are capable of, and that includes against better teams should they make it into the later rounds.

My heart agrees with you, but my head says it would be a dangerous gamble at best. Ok, we all want to see our youths producing the goods, but to throw them in against hardened older, more experienced players is undoubtedly a gamble! Are we willing to take the risk?

My heart agrees with you, but my head says it would be a dangerous gamble at best. Ok, we all want to see our youths producing the goods, but to throw them in against hardened older, more experienced players is undoubtedly a gamble! Are we willing to take the risk?

With our squad size? Too right!

I don't think anyone is suggesting we play XI youngsters, just take the chance to rotate effectively and give much needed experience to the pick of the bunch.

A team like the following would interest me more than going to a game with the usual faces actually:

:na:

:jm: :aw: :rp: :kb:

:al: :kh: :jf: :gw:

:av: :kl: