As the transfer window 'slams' shut (why does it never close softly given the usual anti-climax?) at last Scottish football fans across the country can judge the comings and goings at their clubs and decide just how competitive they'll be this season. Thus, at Rangers, after a summer of scaremongering and torment, do we have a stream-lined squad capable of retaining the SPL title or is Celtic's bloated brigade a better strategy for success?

An immediate comparison of the two squads in quantity terms shows Celtic have at least 25 players available to Neil Lennon who have all played first team football and could be considered genuine contenders for their first XI. Meanwhile a look at Gersnet's own squad page shows we're less well endowed with only 19 players maximum who can be considered demonstrable candidates for our team. That is a fair difference in personnel numbers before each manager has to look to the McGinn's/McGowan's or Shinnie's/Little's in their reserves when injuries and suspensions inevitably take their toll.

So, quantity-wise Celtic undoubtedly have the edge. But what about quality and how do other factors affect both teams' chances of success?

Rangers, while losing several players over the summer, still have a strong core to their first XI. Indeed, McGregor, Bougherra, Davis and Miller can justifiably be considered the best players in the SPL in their respective roles. These four players will be key to our chances of success and the loss of any would be a huge blow at any given time. Nonetheless, they are backed up with other reliable and proven colleagues.

Certainly, as it has been over the last two seasons, consistency of selection will be one of Rangers continued strength this term. Several players have experienced what it takes to win league titles and Rangers first XI is still very strong in every department. Add in a few signings with the potential to improve this, the loss of players like Wilson, Thomson and Boyd may not be the demoralising blows they seemed at first. In fact it could be argued that while Rangers do have a smaller squad, we do have a better one.

Of course squads cannot be discussed without examining the people responsible for instructing them each week. In that respect Rangers have a big advantage on their rivals with Walter Smith and Ally McCoist now having worked together successfully for several years. They know what it is like to win (and lose) while dealing with the unavoidable stresses associated with such difficult jobs. Unfortunately, they'll have to be more flexible than ever with Rangers likely to play at least 6 more games than anyone else via their involvement in the Champions League. This is where our smaller squad will certainly be a handicap.

Moving onto Celtic, while they definitely have the kind of numbers to make a strong challenge this year; they do lack other qualities when compared to Rangers. They lack the same core of proven players and the luxuries of a larger squad brings with it the difficulty of consistency of selection - a conundrum Tony Mowbray struggled badly with last season. Therefore, while players like Juarez, Ledley, Stokes and Hooper are solid buys, just how quickly will they gel and how happy will other players be when they are left out?

Obviously this is where Lennon's managerial inexperience may count against him. He has made wholesale changes to the squad after not being slow to blame the players for their lack of success last year. Ergo, it will be interesting to see how he deals with any bad times that come his way as he'll be unable to blame them solely this time. Not to mention when players ask why they're not playing this week because of having to accommodate a rotation process due to squad size.

All in all it is difficult to make a clear-cut case for Rangers or Celtic winning the title this season. Both have their strengths and weaknesses which will be key as the season progresses. Proof of just how tight this will be can be found by looking at the top of the SPL table after just 3 games.

Quality versus quantity it is then - to the victor the spoils!

:robbo:

I've been thinking about this too, Frankie...it has to be considered that if Lennon can get a first XI that he's happy with and is settled then we will have a major challenge from celtc...but it's a big IF...some of his players look good but to my mind they still have a weak defence...Lennon was still trying to bring in a centre half just as the window 'slammed' shut (hopefully on his fingers!)...they are no closer to sorting out their problems with their full backs as they were when the window opened...they still have scott 'broony' brown as captain and as such dont have a natural leader on the the park.

I also think Lennon has blundered by signing so many players. It strikes me that he has no real idea of how he wants his team to play and is hoping that he has signed a Larssen in there...somewhere...a talisman that will lift the team. Time will tell...

I've said in other threads about Lennon trying to copy Smith's approach when he returned for his second spell at Ibrox. Smith quickly filled up the squad with fringe players to boost numbers, Lennon has done the same.

There are 2 crucial differences though. Firstly, as alluded above, the management team at Ibrox is far more experienced and have built several successful teams in their careers. Secondly, Smith concentrated on signing experienced British players who would know about the club and what the expectations were. Thus, Smith was quickly able to build a team and instill the winning Gers mentality which has served him so well (domestically, at least). Lennon has been forced to bring in foreigners who will need to adapt quickly to their new surroundings, which will no doubt be alien to a number of them.

So, its advantage Rangers for me. But, if Lennon can gel a team quickly, the depth of their squad could prove telling later in the season - that's if he can manage to keep them happy as many of them will not be playing regularly.

I've been thinking about this too, Frankie...it has to be considered that if Lennon can get a first XI that he's happy with and is settled then we will have a major challenge from celtc...but it's a big IF...some of his players look good but to my mind they still have a weak defence...Lennon was still trying to bring in a centre half just as the window 'slammed' shut (hopefully on his fingers!)...they are no closer to sorting out their problems with their full backs as they were when the window opened...they still have scott 'broony' brown as captain and as such dont have a natural leader on the the park.

I also think Lennon has blundered by signing so many players. It strikes me that he has no real idea of how he wants his team to play and is hoping that he has signed a Larssen in there...somewhere...a talisman that will lift the team. Time will tell...

I must admit I'm surprised Lennon has made so many changes in such a short period of time. Mowbray did exactly the same and the team struggled throughout the season.

I think that is a massive risk from Celtic and a lack of focus in their team (in terms of key players) is a problem for them. In saying that, they have the luxury of depth that we do not have so can swap players in if one or two under-perform.

As it stands, I feel we're the stronger team per se but it will be fascinating to see if Lennon can achieve what Mowbray didn't and gel a completely new team effectively enough to win the title.

I've said in other threads about Lennon trying to copy Smith's approach when he returned for his second spell at Ibrox. Smith quickly filled up the squad with fringe players to boost numbers, Lennon has done the same.

There are 2 crucial differences though. Firstly, as alluded above, the management team at Ibrox is far more experienced and have built several successful teams in their careers. Secondly, Smith concentrated on signing experienced British players who would know about the club and what the expectations were. Thus, Smith was quickly able to build a team and instill the winning Gers mentality which has served him so well (domestically, at least). Lennon has been forced to bring in foreigners who will need to adapt quickly to their new surroundings, which will no doubt be alien to a number of them.

So, its advantage Rangers for me. But, if Lennon can gel a team quickly, the depth of their squad could prove telling later in the season - that's if he can manage to keep them happy as many of them will not be playing regularly.

No doubt that Celtic have went to great expense to buy into Lennon's vision - even if they lost two key players in Boruc and McGeady to do so.

Really is very risky and the pressure is more on them than ever to deliver.

I think it's imperative that we don't drop points early in the season. That's when they'll be at their most vulnerable, before a first choice team has had time to gel. I reckon they will come good cone Christmas time and drop very few points after the new year, but will struggle at places like Tynecastle and Pittodrie early doors, I really feel we need a five or six point gap going into the new year, especially if we start getting hit with injuries and suspensions.

Not to be pedantic.....

But I dont think that this quote is correct : "Rangers likely to play at least 6 more games than anyone else via their involvement in the Champions League".

Celtic have already played 4 more competitive games than us - 2 in the CL (pumped oot :D) and 2 in the Europa (yep.... pumped oot:D).

I still think we have better quality - but with our squad being so thin this season could, sadly, come down to quantity as much as anything else. Hopefully not though.

Very true mate and I also deliberately ignored the fact we could easily play less games if we're knocked out of the domestic cups... :whistle:

In many ways, I think the Euro games Celtic had are more like pre-season friendlies so I didn't count them. ;)

In many ways, I think the Euro games Celtic had are more like pre-season friendlies so I didn't count them. ;)

That actually sounds like something a Tim would use to justify getting papped oot, to quote 26th, "twice before the nights got dark" :D

Seems like they may have treated them like friendlies too :thup: