See when you're chasing a goal, what's the point in leaving the all time leading SPL scorer on the bench? If he doesn't rate him, fine. But why bring him all that way to leave him scratching his arse whilst there's nota soul on the pitch looking like doing what he's good at. I know the naysayers will point out his scoring record in big games and the other managers who didn't have faith in him, but if that's the case why bring him at all? That game really was there for the taking and despite the positives, I can't help but feel we've now got seven extra friendlies :-(((

Edited by juffery
Spelling

Should have played 4-4-2 at some point rather than be negative. Miller was isolated big style in the second half. Overall performance not good enough, ref was pretty poor as well that ex-Hearts cheat should have been booked he gave away about 10 fouls and did dive in the box as well.

Robson was pish, Brown headless chicken and a moaning git lucky to get away with his fouls really. Fletcher his usual for Scotland, not turning up. I'm not having a go at non Rangers players but those 3 did not impress me, infact most of the team didn't, but those were standouts. My dad was like where is Fletcher after half an hour and then he was raking a throw in.

Its been a long time since I've seen a match where people's views on the performance are so polar opposites of each other. Reading various places today, it was either a very good performance by the Scotland side or a terrible one. Personally, I'm in between the two camps.

Firstly, I think its worth saying that regardless of your view of Levein, he was in a no-win situation. If he went with a more attacking formation from the start and lost an early goal, he'd have been pilloried. As it was, he seems to be attracting a lot of criticism for being too defensive-minded. I think he was right to start as he did, but by half time it was clear that we were the better team both technically & physically, so should have changed to a more attacking formation for the second half. Potentially it could have been a tricky tie. OK, so it turned out that we over-estimated them, but given the points we've dropped in recent times to teams just like Lithuania, I can understand his caution.

I thought it was a much more organised and spirited team performance than we saw under Burley and we should at least be optimistic about our chances. Spain are hardly going to drop any points at all and are meanwhile going to take a lot of points off the teams we're going to hopefully be in direct competition with for second place, so I think we have to set a minimum standard of not dropping any points at home and aiming to pick up some away from home. If we win our next match, 4 points from 6 won't look too bad at all imo.

While reading some of the media and online forums today, I do wonder who supports Scotland these days as some of the criticism individual players were getting was ridiculous. The fact there were so many Rangers players starting seems to have annoyed many, which is predictable, but depressing all the same. There's no pleasing some. It wasn't that long ago that Rangers were being blamed by all and sundry for everything from the state of the national team to the performance of all clubs in Europe because of the lack of Scots in our squad, not to mention young Scots. Last night saw 6 Gers players start, of all ages and people are still not happy. From where I was sitting, the Gers players came away with a lot of credit and certainly didn't hide which is more than can be said about some others who started.

I've always enjoyed watching Scotland and taken pride in their achievements. Of course I've been even happier when its been Rangers players or other favourites of mine doing well, scoring the goals etc, but at the end of the day I don't mind who scores the winning goal, just so long as its for us. I think a successful national team is an important part of having successful club sides and aids player development.

On to the players, which I'll try to rate with the blue-tinted shades off. No marks, just a quick mention about each.

McGregor - One good save and looked solid, although a bit hesitant to come off his line and claim the ball sometimes, particularly with a few through-balls which caused confusion.

Hutton - Played well, I thought he grew in confidence as time went on but never really clicked with Robson as we saw him do before he left us. Maybe he'd have had more luck if Whittaker or Naismith were on the right?

Weir - Looked very calm & composed as always. Exactly what we've been lacking in the last few internationals. Was caught out a couple of times, but thanks to limited replays it was hard to see why. Showed why he's still our best option for CB which is a pretty sad indictment of other Scottish defenders.

McManus - Looked like an absolute bomb-scare at times. I couldn't believe some of the poor decisions he made and I do wonder if his play contributed to some of the hesitancy and confusion that you saw at times form our back line. Surely we can't stick with him for the next match?

Whittaker - Thought he did well and looked more solid defending-wise than he has done in a while, making some good tackles and also a contribution going forward. Also had a few shaky moments which are the norm for him, but with him and Hutton I think we have good options for attacking from the full back position.

McCulloch - A good game. Unspectacular, but played a few cracking long passes. Strong (and precise) in the tackle and what I thought was very obvious was how he was marshalling players around him.

Robson - Started on the right, but I thought maybe he and Naismith could have swapped over to try and mix things up a bit. I thought he did OK, but some of his decisions were baffling and apart from the free kick which was parried out, thought he was poor from the dead-ball.

Brown - I thought he was dire and I can't believe how long Levein left him on the park for. He's got a lot of energy and stamina, but doesn't seem to make good use of it. He was charging around like a bull in a china shop again last night and getting involved in really stupid stuff. He seems to have gone backwards since leaving Hibs and being given more responsibility at Celtic hasn't changed him at all. A real liability. Celtic player or not, I thought he was rank.

Fletcher - Anonymous.

Miller - Should have done better with that header in particular, but ran his socks off for the whole match. Was unlucky with a few through balls which were over/under/mis-hit from the midfield, so maybe that's just a lack of understanding which will come. I think he'd have had a few more actual chances if McFadden had been brought on earlier.

Naismith - Another player who I thought put in a really good shift. He's looking a lot more confident than last year, but looked like a startled rabbit in the headlights when that chance fell to him late on.

The subs didn't really have much of a chance to make an impact, although I thought McFadden looked fresh and was at least bringing something different to the side despite over-doing the fancy stuff on a couple of times and losing the ball. I can't understand why he wasn't brought on earlier to make it a more attacking lineup.

I have to say, I'm not half as pessimistic as many of the fans seem to be this morning. Besides, we seem to have a short memory about just how bad some of the displays were under Burley.

And one last word about last night. When I saw the BBC were covering it I feared the worst but gave them the benefit of the doubt. I won't be making that mistake again. The commentary team were absolutely dreadful and the pundits at half time were just as bad. Really was cringeworthy and embarrassing, is that the best BBC Scotland can do? It was so bad at one point I'd have taken Jock Brown back. Or Archie McPherson. Or Gerry McNee? Nah, maybe not that bad.

I think Levein should have made a few changes at half time,it was quite clear that we were better than them and actually spent most of the first half in their half but we lacked in the final 3rd,if he had brought Mcfadden on earlier along with Boyd he might/could have won the game IMO.

KDS Take on the game:

GreenDay67 Today, 1:24 AM Post #563

Member Avatar

[ * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#22,759

9 January 2009

Favourite all-time player

Henke

tinsoldier

3 Sep 2010, 10:48 PM

Along with that i like the fact folk can't make their minds up when it comes to huns and the national side.

"Bastard huns pulling out the squad they should be proud to be in there"

"FFS the majority of the side are huns! Thats me finished with Scotland"

I know that I should not admit it,but that probably sums me up to a tee :lol: ,well almost.

I guess I care a hell lot more about Celtic than I do about Scotland.

While I still wanted us to win tonight,news of bad hamstring injuries to Miller and Weir would bring me more joy than the 3 points.

Belgrano Yesterday, 10:35 PM Post #548

Member Avatar

-

[ * * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

#5,524

11 November 2006

Our club side goes away from home and gets our arses felt 3-0 and 4-0 respectively, and it's all, "Oh - signs are good! A few quality signings in there! We'll win the league this year!"

Our national side go away from home and get a point on the road while keeping a clean sheet, and it's all, "FFS man! Pure pish! That's us oot! Useless huns!"

shamrock60 Yesterday, 10:53 PM Post #555

Member Avatar

First-team starter

[ * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#1,753

1 August 2005

Just in, what a dreadful game, Levein took the easy option and picked all the OF players (ie. Huns) so the media would give him an easy time.

On the game itself, Naismith is a diving wee bass, McCulloch isn't much better, plus noticed that Weir wasn't grabbing players by the throat when the hand-bags started.

Broony needs to grow up and... ah forget it, Scotland have bored me senseless again...

when are these International games over again?

Puskas Today, 12:51 PM Post #588

Member Avatar

First name on the team-sheet

[ * * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#4,229

12 July 2006

tbh it's a disgrace and an embarassment that Lee McCulloch is considered an international footballer

Big_dave_greenock_1888 Today, 12:57 PM Post #589

Member Avatar

Getting on a bit

[ * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

22 December 2004

Just to add my comments I cant really understand how many on here can support a team filled wth so many players that cheat and maim their way through every game they play against us only to be sitting at a tv screen shouting ''Cmon Lee'' or ''Mon Davie, Have a word with the ref'' or words to that effect when they pull on the dark blue of Scotland.

GreenDay67 Today, 1:24 AM Post #563

Member Avatar

[ * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#22,759

9 January 2009

Henke

tinsoldier

3 Sep 2010, 10:48 PM

Along with that i like the fact folk can't make their minds up when it comes to huns and the national side.

"Bastard huns pulling out the squad they should be proud to be in there"

"FFS the majority of the side are huns! Thats me finished with Scotland"

I know that I should not admit it,but that probably sums me up to a tee :lol: ,well almost.

I guess I care a hell lot more about Celtic than I do about Scotland.

While I still wanted us to win tonight,news of bad hamstring injuries to Miller and Weir would bring me more joy than the 3 points.

remy mcswain Yesterday, 10:13 PM Post #533

Member Avatar

From invisibility to dominance

[ * * * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

1 September 2004

Celticsean

Absolutely atrocious. Anyone crapping it from the huns now should seek medical help.

leehutchison Yesterday, 10:14 PM Post #534

Member Avatar

The Undiscovered Country - The Future

[ * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

#13,506

1 January 2008

Scotlands Shame indeed from the Huns there :lol:

paul88 Yesterday, 9:03 PM Post #465

Member Avatar

Everyone's Fantasy Football first pick

[ * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#23,942

30 June 2009

Paul McStay

JiminyCricket

3 Sep 2010, 09:00 PM

Miller has been beyond awful.

5 goals in 3 games. What the hell does that say about the SPL?

that the refs are cheating hun bassas

ToonBhoy Yesterday, 9:05 PM Post #468

Member Avatar

Casually Inconsistant

[ * * * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

#4,339

29 July 2006

The Hun animal in Hutton seeping out now.

paul88 Yesterday, 9:06 PM Post #471

Member Avatar

Everyone's Fantasy Football first pick

[ * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#23,942

30 June 2009

Paul McStay

hutton and weir acting like their fans

Fall_Out_Bhoy Yesterday, 9:06 PM Post #476

Member Avatar

Cheer up FFS

[ * * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

#12,147

16 November 2007

The Evil Genius

A point and Whittaker injured.

Decent result :lol:

Henkesghost Yesterday, 9:07 PM Post #479

Member Avatar

Club Captain

[ * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

#5,774

26 November 2006

Tommy Burns, Henke

Only watched the last 15 mins, I know it shouldn't matter but there were too many Huns on the team for my comfort :nono: