ALGERIAN winger should sign in next couple of days

More...

RANGERS are hoping to complete a deal to sign French-Algerian winger Salim Kerkar in the next couple of days.

The 23-year-old has been on trial at Murray Park for a number of weeks and Walter Smith has decided to go ahead and add him to the squad.

Kerkar is a free agent and as such can be signed outside of the transfer window.

Smith said today: "We are jut trying to get the full background before we go on and complete that deal.

"He has been training with us for a few weeks now and he has been looking good so hopefully we can get a resolution to that in the next few days.

"He gives us options in the wide areas. He can play either side and he has done well in the bounce games he has featured in.

"It will be a relief to the lad once things are sorted because he has been around us for a while now and I think he will be glad to get everything over with."

Kerkar spent three seasons with Guegnon in the French league making nearly 50 appearances and also had a loan spell with Calais with whom he played 36 times and scored six goals.

Edited by Frankie

Squad depth is what we need and if he adds something on top of that then great!

Walter liked him on trial so I trust his judgement but it does send warning signal to Lafferty. Naismth has been playing well, Weiss and possibly this guy on the left. Also upfront he is behind Beattie, Miller and Jelavic but one injury could change that.

This guy is a tidy player and we need as much depth as we can get in the squad

My first post BTW

Welcome wwna.

When have you seen him play as I had never heard of him until we took him on trial? More options in the wide areas are definitely welcome.