Now Jelavic is targeted by the Rangers-hating NOTW

Gers striker's uncle in Mafia link

'The Boxer' rumoured to be Godfather of Balkan mob

By Stephen Houston and Kathleen Nutt, 03/10/2010

THE uncle of new Rangers hitman Nikica Jelavic is a feared figure in the Croatian underworld with links to the Mafia, the News of the World can today reveal.

The �£4 million striker's shady relation - also called Nikica Jelavic but known as "Boxer" - is rumoured to be a Godfather in the Balkan mob operating from the Croatian capital Zagreb.

But the 42-year-old former nightclub bouncer has managed to walk free from a string of court cases - including a horrific street murder using a rocket launcher.

Boxer, below, is widely described as the "uncrowned king" of the city's Mafia, although two years ago he was cleared of charges connecting him to a criminal organisation involved in extortion.

Last night a source in Croatia told us: "Jelavic's uncle has been linked to some high-profile organised crime groups and court cases in recent years.

"There have also been suggestions he has been involved with his nephew's footballing career.

"But that is something Jelavic has claimed doesn't happen."

Jelavic, 25, is already a Rangers favourite, scoring five goals in his first three games and playing in the Ibrox side's 2-1 win over Hearts yesterday. But he has been forced to deny his uncle interferes personally when football decisions go against him.

In March 2006, Jelavic's coach at Croatian side Hajduk Split was battered by two thugs in the stairwell of his home. Police investigated the attack on 40-year-old Luka Bonacic but no arrests were made.

Answering claims that his uncle was behind the beating, Jelavic said: "I score goals, not my uncle. He is not my agent.

"He has helped me a lot through my career, but he was not my agent, nor he scores instead of me."

Jelavic signed for Rangers on August 20. The �£4 million deal made it the most expensive summer transfer in eight years at the club. The move had been agreed a month earlier but was delayed because of a pay battle with Jelavic's previous club Rapid Vienna.

Just last month he gave an interview to Croatian newspaper Vrime where he hit out over media coverage of his uncle.

He insisted: "I have a plain, familiar relation with my uncle. He helped me on a volunteer basis because he loves me.

"I always concentrate on a game only. If I was listening to the stories about my uncle I would never achieve anything. My uncle has helped me a lot, but he does not score."

Last November, Jelavic's uncle was cleared after standing trial for the third time on the same murder charge and three attempted murders.

Zagreb County Court ruled there was no evidence that he tried to kill rival Vjeko Slisko and associates Juraj Dodic and Ivica Bertic on two occasions in 1995 and 1999.

In the second attempt on their lives, a rocket fired from a hand-held launcher bounced on Slisko's bullet-proof Jeep and hit passing dog walker Zoran Domini. He was blasted in the stomach and died instantly. But the striker's uncle was released after Croatian police fumbled evidence procedures.

In March this year, the Zagreb County Prosecutor's Office launched an appeal against Boxer's latest acquittal last November. But the bid failed, and in July the Croatian Supreme Court upheld the verdict.

Jelavic had stood trial over the charges twice before - first in 2000 and then again in 2007. The first case lasted for two years and involved 12 suspects.

In 1998, Jelavic was injured outside a cafe bar when his friend, the reigning mob boss Zlatko Bagaric - known as "The King of Dice" - was shot dead.

Later, in a criminal case, authorities began investigating his activities after he was able to put up a �£262,000 bail bond when his three companies had never made a profit.

Last night it emerged a little girl was hit by his car in Zagreb last week and is fighting for her life in a city hospital.

And Jelavic has also fallen foul of the law in Germany as well as in his homeland.

He was extradited to face attempted fraud charges in January last year and was given a two-year suspended sentence and fined �£85,000.

Jelavic had been charged with attempting to swindle the German state out of �£462,000 - the sum he had demanded as compensation for time he spent on remand in the country's Kempten nick in 2004 while accused of robbing a jewellery store.

He was cleared of the charges and brought the damages case over claims he had lost earnings while he was behind bars. But he was convicted of producing forged documents to back up his allegations that he had lost out on lucrative business deals.

The Croatian Mafia is composed of ethnic Croats and Bosnians whose underworld activities include contract killing, car theft, smuggling and the illicit trade in blood diamonds and arms.

They have strong ties with Mafia gangs in Bulgaria, Albania and ruthless gypsy gangs and are made up of the Zagreb clan, allegedly including Jelavic, and the Split drug cartel.

Before playing with Rapid Vienna, Jelavic's star nephew played in the Belgian league with Zulte Waregem.

He started his career with Croatian top-flight club Hajduk Split, where he scored 15 goals in 31 games.

But one Croatian fan, writing an online response to a Celtic supporter who was trying to find out more about Jelavic, warned: "If they have signed his uncle Nikica Jelavic you should be worried."

Rangers were last night unavailable for comment.

Jelavic refused to discuss his uncle as he boarded the Rangers team bus after the game at Tynecastle yesterday.

Guest TheWorthyEd

By Stephen Houston and Kathleen Nutt.

If anyone at Rangers FC had balls, these two would never set foot inside the ground again.

And that's just for starters...........that is a long list.

Stephen Houston and Kathleen Nutt are obviously not the sharpest tools in the box when they've included in their article that their dirt-digging 'story' most likely originated from a Celtic fan. Oh, the irony!

But one Croatian fan, writing an online response to a Celtic supporter who was trying to find out more about Jelavic, warned: "If they have signed his uncle Nikica Jelavic you should be worried."

Let me say, regardless of this article, Croats are fcuking head cases. There's a team over here in melbourne called St albans saints, they're croation and they're fans are well known for being nutters. I went to watch them as they play in the league above me and they were playing a Serbian mob. Big rivals of course. There was about 700 people at the game and where the hardcore stand is called 'The Hill'. They were threatening to knife the goalkeeper and all sorts. I'm a goalkeeper so i really felt for that lad.

They love football but nut jobs. Glad i don't have to play against them next season ;-)

Let me say, regardless of this article, Croats are fcuking head cases. There's a team over here in melbourne called St albans saints, they're croation and they're fans are well known for being nutters. I went to watch them as they play in the league above me and they were playing a Serbian mob. Big rivals of course. There was about 700 people at the game and where the hardcore stand is called 'The Hill'. They were threatening to knife the goalkeeper and all sorts. I'm a goalkeeper so i really felt for that lad.

They love football but nut jobs. Glad i don't have to play against them next season ;-)

Sound's like hardcore mate.

Be ok once you get your shodan :fish: