Real Betis' Scots star Ryan Harper Rangers Fan

RYAN Harper will pull a Scotland shirt over his shoulders on Tuesday night and pray the next time it happens he isn�t sitting in a Spanish bar.

The Scots-born winger outlined his international ambitions yesterday after signing a two-year deal with Spanish cracks Real Betis.

And he confessed he would even give up a chance to play for the world champions because all his dreams are cloaked in dark blue.

Harper, 23, has been handed a shot at the club-level big time by Betis coach Pepe Mel, just weeks after signing for their B team at the start of the season.

He came to their attention after scoring a glut of goals in the previous two years with minnows Villaneuva and Estepona.

Real Betis currently lead the Spanish First Division and are favourites to return to the top flight next season to face giants such as Real Madrid and Barcelona again.

Harper hopes to help lead them there ââ?¬â?? and catch the eye of Scotland boss Craig Levein in the process, even though the Barrhead-born youngster left our shores as a kid.

His younger brother Jack, 14, has commanded most of the sporting attention in the family until now after signing with Real Madrid, where his form grows ever-more impressive.

But big brother has been the focus of media attention these last few days after signing for Betis the week before Scotland take on his adopted nation at Hampden.

Harper said: ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t have digital television in my rented flat in Seville so it will be training in the morning then off to a bar with my Scotland shirt on to watch the game with Spanish fans.

ââ?¬Å?Before this week, I donââ?¬â?¢t think the SFA even knew I existed. Iââ?¬â?¢ve just popped up out of the blue and theyââ?¬â?¢ve obviously never had a chance nor the inclination to watch me in action.

ââ?¬Å?I hope they have heard of me now because I would love to represent Scotland. Iââ?¬â?¢m Scottish through and through, even though I moved to Spain with the family when I was seven years old.

ââ?¬Å?If I ever had to choose between Spain or Scotland there would be only one decision to take ââ?¬â?? Scotland. Iââ?¬â?¢m very patriotic.

ââ?¬Å?I can only hope if I secure a regular game at Betis at this level ââ?¬â?? and weââ?¬â?¢re first in the league and favourites to return to the Primera ââ?¬â?? Iââ?¬â?¢ll pop into Craig Leveinââ?¬â?¢s thoughts.

ââ?¬Å?But itââ?¬â?¢s not just at international level. Iââ?¬â?¢d love to return to the UK one day and play in either the SPL or the Premiership.ââ?¬Â

Harper�s dad John was a junior football stalwart before taking the family to Spain.

His sons are evidence of the family�s sporting genes and Harper�s career is back on track after previous setbacks when he tried to make it in the SPL.

The boyhood Rangers fan said: ââ?¬Å?I agreed a deal with Hamilton a few years ago but my second division side Poli Ejido refused to sign release papers. They wanted a transfer fee, which wasnââ?¬â?¢t part of the deal.

ââ?¬Å?I was at Inverness last summer but arrived in Scotland with a stinking cold and didnââ?¬â?¢t do myself justice.

ââ?¬Å?I wasnââ?¬â?¢t even there for a week and was only given 20 minutes of a bounce game to impress.

ââ?¬Å?However, I had a brilliant season last year with Estepona and ended up top goalscorer with 14 goals, even though I was playing on the wing.

ââ?¬Å?I attracted interest from a couple of teams but the Real Betis B coach called a week before the new campaign and it was an easy decision. Iââ?¬â?¢ve scored three goals in six games and that led to the offer of a two-year contract from the top team. Iââ?¬â?¢ve set a target of 15 goals minimum for the season.

ââ?¬Å?I put pen to paper too late for this weekendââ?¬â?¢s game at Las Palmas but hopefully Iââ?¬â?¢ll make my debut at home to Girona next weekend.ââ?¬Â

Harper was in demand this week as the Spanish media pinned him down for the inside track on Scotland ahead of the Group I clash in Glasgow.

He said: ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢d take a draw right now, anything more would be sensational.

ââ?¬Å?Spain really are the Barcelona of international football and even play like the club side. Vicente del Bosque can call on nine players from the Nou Camp for his squad.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve been fortunate enough to play against several of the Spanish side when I represented the Andalucian select side when I was a teenager. Players such as Jesus Navas, Sergio Ramos and Diego Capel represented other regions and you could see their class, even as 15 year olds. They rarely lost the ball and were always in control.ââ?¬Â

They are beginning to say the same about another youngster in that country ââ?¬â?? Jack, who was born in Spain but has already attended a training camp for Scotlandââ?¬â?¢s Under-15s at Largs.

Another winger, he is being schooled in football and lessons by Real Madrid after impressing on the youth circuit around the family�s home town Fuengirola.

Harper added: ââ?¬Å?Jackââ?¬â?¢s doing brilliantly. Heââ?¬â?¢s only 14 but performing well against players a year or two older ââ?¬â?? and heââ?¬â?¢s growing fast.ââ?¬Â

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2010/10/09/i-d-snub-world-champions-spain-to-earn-caps-for-scotland-says-real-betis-scots-star-ryan-harper-86908-22620836/

Interesting, saw this the other day. I hope he breaks through in Spain but I can't see it. Players abroad, Scottish players in different leagues will add something different, his brother is probably a player that should be watched over the next few years, hopefully he doesn't pick Spain...