Allan McGregor ban prompts SFA chief to order rules shake-up

NEW SFA chief executive Stewart Regan has pledged to bring greater haste and clarity to the organisation's disciplinary system after admitting his unease at the timing of Allan McGregor's one-match suspension.

Allan McGregor, who was outstanding for Scotland against Spain, trains with Rangers yesterday, but the goalkeeper will miss Rangers' SPL clash with Motherwell today due to a controversial ban Picture: SNS

The Rangers goalkeeper will miss his club's SPL match against Motherwell at Ibrox today because of the ban imposed for aiming a kick at Aberdeen striker Chris Maguire during a match at Pittodrie three weeks ago.

The incident was not spotted by the match officials at the time but was subsequently referred by the SFA to its independent video review panel. To Regan's discomfort, the judgment on McGregor was passed on Monday, both the chief executive's first day in the job and the eve of the player lining up for Scotland in Tuesday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Spain at Hampden.

Rangers manager Walter Smith yesterday described the situation as "embarrassing" and accused the SFA of ignoring "glaring discrepancies" in what he claims is a "flawed" disciplinary process.

Within four hours of Smith making his comments at Rangers' weekly media conference, however, there was a response from Regan in the form of a lengthy statement in which he directly addressed the former Scotland manager's complaints.

"In light of recent publicity surrounding Allan McGregor's retrospective punishment for violent conduct," said Regan, "I would like to clarify a few points which, hopefully, will better explain the process.

"I can understand the media and supporter interest in the situation that arose at the start of the international double-header. The timing was unfortunate - and not how I intended to spend my first day in office - but the investigation process is designed to ensure violent conduct is eradicated from the game, while also providing a support network for match officials who may have missed such instances.

"There are elements of the process that I, as a newcomer to the Scottish FA, am not entirely content with. I have already requested a tightening-up of certain elements which I believe will help improve the transparency and functionality of the procedure. It is my intention that formal notification of investigations will be made sooner and that a fixed timescale for any subseqeunt appeal is established.

It should be noted that, compared to previous procedures, the current investigation system is now completed within a two-week timeframe and is therefore more efficient."

Smith believes Rangers and Celtic suffer a disproportionate number of suspensions such as the one handed out to McGregor as a result of fixtures involving the Old Firm clubs being televised live more than any others in Scotland. Regan, however, dismissed that view. "While some of our more prominent clubs argue that their media exposure leaves them unfairly at risk of such investigations, I would point out that, adopting the same principle, they are also in a position to have a higher percentage of claims for wrongful dismissal acted upon," he said.

"Furthermore, we have dealt with many cases from lower divisions using club television or analysis footage.

"The process, when initiated by the chief executive, is referred to an independent review panel before being ratified by the chairman of the disciplinary committee. This is a far more streamlined process than previously was the case. It is the responsibility of the referee development department and disciplinary department to be aware of instances that may be worthy of investigation. This will be highlighted primarily by using television footage or feedback from the referee observers."

While Regan seeks greater transparency in the SFA system, there will be no change to the anonymity of the pool of former players, managers and referees who make up the independent review panel.

"It ensures a cross-section of opinion across the football family," added Regan, "but to reveal their identities on a case-by-case basis would be detrimental to the integrity of the process."

Rangers' sense of disquiet over McGregor's punishment has been heightened by the serious ankle injury suffered by Nikica Jelavic during their match against Hearts at Tynecastle two weeks ago. The Croatian striker faces three months on the sidelines as a result of the damage caused by a foul from Ian Black. The Hearts midfielder was booked at the time by referee Craig Thomson, meaning no further action can be taken.

"Allan has been suspended for not kicking someone while the lad who kicked Nikica doesn't get suspended," said Rangers captain David Weir. "There doesn't seem to be much logic to it. It wasn't even a tackle (from Black], he just kicked Nikica."

Regan, however, will not seek to make any change to the procedure surrounding incidents like the one involving Jelavic and Black, insisting that to do so would undermine the match officials.

"It has been mentioned that while the process deals with misconduct missed by a referee, it does not include instances where it is believed a referee 'maybe didn't judge properly'," added Regan.

"This falls under the category of claims for wrongful dismissal, a procedure with which clubs are familiar.

"It should be emphasised, though, that the investigation process is designed to assist match officials. To intervene in instances that fall between investigations into incidents missed by a match official and claims of wrongful dismissal would compromise the authority of referees in relation to the laws of the game."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Allan-McGregor-ban-prompts-SFA.6584285.jp?articlepage=3