Winter�s world matchday 32

ST MIRREN 1 RANGERS 3

9th November 2010

Now before we start on the game, let�s address a few other issues. Since I started doing articles about Rangers I have incurred a little bit of interest from Celtic supporters. Fuck knows what they are doing reading Rangers websites I don�t know.

The responses fall into three categories. Firstly, brain dead cowardly bastard one�s where desktop hard men suggest that they hope I die of cancer and the like. I sometimes reply and publish these just so that people can see that these results of inter breeding exist.

They are allowed freedom of speech as they live in a country that allows them that privilege because our brave troops have fought and died so that they might remain free. More on that subject later.

The second category of response comes from those who quote history, usually in very long emails, making their points well but from a very one sided stance. We are the 'Shame of Scotland' because in 1972 etc, etc, etc.

It gets a bit boring reading it especially when the authors can only see it from their point of view and refuse to accept any blame on their own club or supporters.

The third view comes from the decent supporters of their football club, who see the bigger picture and admit that both sides have their extreme supporters and wish to deal with football matters only.

The first two groups will no doubt spout bile and go down the ââ?¬Å?Yeah, but they did it firstââ?¬Â route. Quite pathetic really. I genuinely feel sorry for some Celtic supporters who surely must be totally embarrassed by the events of the last few days.

Lennon�s bleating and the resultant conspiracy theories are one thing and with three penalties on Saturday, it may even be working, some might say! The other aspects are enough to make any decent human being appalled.

Reports suggested that Celtic banned the sale of poppies at the ground because it might upset some of the clubs Irish supporters. Unbelievable. That statement, if it is true, supports terrorism, does it not?

I get stacks of emails condemning the songs that Rangers fans sing. Well to sing a song you must know the words, but songs are an instantaneous reaction. Preparing banners, albeit with spelling mistakes, is a pre planned initiative. The club stewards allowed these banners in and it would appear nothing was done when they were revealed.

Did the decent fans boo them? I don�t know, I was not there. Did the police move in and have them removed and those holding them arrested? I don�t know but I have my doubts.

The one good thing to come out of this is that some aspects of the media have, for once, not ignored the subject. TalkSport's Stan Collymore condemned the actions and it will be interesting to hear the comments from the Scottish media, the SFA and Celtic FC. I await with interest.

Scotland�s Shame has a new worthy recipient of the title, but then again no... it is Ireland�s shame!

Anyway back to, for me, more important matters. If I was sensible I would have taken the train to Aberdeen for my Saturday night speaking engagement but no, that would have meant missing the St Mirren game, so after five and a half hours on the road on Saturday, I was out of the hotel at 7.30am to drive down and across to Paisley. Apart from anything else that meant missing a substantial breakfast at the hotel!

I arrived at the ground and was parked up by quarter to eleven which at least gave me the opportunity to catch up with emails and confirm yet more trips north of the border to speak at dinners and other fundraising events. (Click here to book Jeff.)

I received some good news from Stranraer. I am due there on Saturday 29th January and as Rangers' CIS Cup semi has been confirmed for the Sunday at Hampden, I will be able to do the dinner and still go to the match the following day. I love it when a plan comes together.

I rang the Leven boys and was amazed to hear them loud and clear and obviously not driving. Fuck me, they were here. Unheard of, an hour before kick off and no pubs open. This was ground breaking.

Durranty came out to drop some tickets off for mates so I was able to square up with him for Valencia tickets. Top man - I appreciate his help on that game because without it I would not have got my tickets as I am not a member of the Travel Club.

Then again I could just have bought them at the ground in Spain, couldn�t I, which fucks up all the ideas about selling only to registered members!

The game started at a slow pace and no goal within the first couple of minutes like last season! I had gone for Rangers/Rangers half-time/full-time. I was also going to go 3-1 but changed my mind. Fucking idiot!

The ref, Craig Thomson, made Rangers take a free kick again to much derision from the UEFA 'B' licensed coaches from Fifa sat around me. The free kick had not left the penalty area before Papac played it. Fuck me, didn�t you know that?

It was interesting to see Edu back home having not taken up the offer of a full time role as a Lucky/Lucky man in Valencia. We seemed to be suffering from a Spurs syndrome, with the after effects of a Champions League game making us look rather lethargic.

Miller shot high and wide, then Weiss totally wasted a free kick by lobbing it high into keeper Samson�s awaiting hands. Edu had a shot which flew about twenty yards wide. Pish.

The game was littered with free kicks, no flow and virtually no atmosphere in the ground. Sunday lunchtime is not for football!

After 25 minutes, the best move of the game so far, but Kenny only half connected and the chance was gone. My bet was looking dodgy. One thing for sure, they weren�t going to score. It's not difficult to see why they are bottom of the League. A mere shadow of the side that ran us so close in the CIS Cup Final last season.

As usual teams are a bit physical in trying to stop Rangers and finally Hugh Murray was cautioned for another foul on Edu. Weiss was inconsistent, jinking in but also regularly losing possession, one run producing a free kick which Davis clipped onto the crossbar.

The Manchester City loanee then got himself booked after a tangle and handbags with their full back Zanten. I forecast his early substitution for Lafferty. It just wasn�t happening for him today.

Edu must have been wearing one of those trilby�s his brothers were flogging in the square last week when he headed over with the goal at his mercy. Come on boys, half-time/full-time would have paid for my ticket and fuel!

At last I got lucky - ball in the net just before half-time. Disallowed. It�s a fucking conspiracy!!

As the half-time whistle blew I noticed my mates adopting rather soft as shit behaviour. Bucket had his little bald head covered tightly by the hood on his coat and Scott had his nice posh 'designer' gloves on! It was a lovely day - what the fuck are they going to do when it gets cold?

Well the Minister last week said that something needs to be done in Scottish football. Well could I suggest that hamster racing is not the answer! Broxy Bear finished last. Another fucking conspiracy. The world and hamster racing is against us! At least Cash For Kids benefitted.

The attendance was announced as 5,674. We took more to Valencia. The second half started with the introduction of the seven foot flute player and within minutes we were camped in their half. The tempo increased, the fans woke up and Kyle created havoc in their defence. Own goal, oneââ?¬â??nil.

A great move saw Lafferty square the ball for a Naismith tap in. 2-0, game over.

It was like a testimonial now. They were very poor. Celtic will get ten against them and five penalties probably!

I noticed a TV camera in front of us pointing in our direction and soon the texts started arriving, I had got a mention on ESPN. Hopefully they noted I was with the boys and not freeloading in the posh seats.

To answer the sarcastic questions, my hat was orange, my favourite colour, bought in Valencia, because I was there and my glasses were not borrowed off Jack Duckworth. Have some fucking respect - he does not die until Monday!

A mistake from a defender, wide awake Kenny Miller latched onto it and 3-0. This really is a two horse race, even more so than for the last Christ knows how many years. Maybe we should just play them every week! Rangers v Celtic every week - that would be interesting. We could sing our songs and they could practice their spelling on their banners.

Boughie tried his best to make a game of it by nearly scoring an own goal, their first effort I think! The Scottish sport of clattering Alan McGregor was practised yet again, before a harsh penalty against Rangers. Walter, you really should start bleating to the press every week. We are going to be cheated against every week you know. The referees are against us!

3-1 and incredibly their announcer states the name of the scorer of St Mirren�s consolation goal! Honesty but probably not the wisest thing to say. He could be joining Chesney on the dole soon.

We passed away the closing minutes watching the steward seated in front of us. You may recall I don�t like stewards. At Killie I saw the fattest and St Mirren the softest. I am opening up categories. I am looking for the fittest (female) and the dirtiest (female). Well I spend a lot of time alone in Scotland! Suggestions willingly accepted!

I won�t be up for the Hibs game, but I am planning to make a suicidal journey from Heathrow next Saturday morning, 470 miles, in time to watch the Aberdeen game, before hosting a dinner in Glasgow on the evening. I am under pressure then to go to Leven on Sunday for their Remembrance Day activities. I will wear my B-L-O-O-T-A-I-N-E-D poppy with pride.

AS WE APPROACH REMEMBERANCE DAY LET US REMEMBER FOR ONE MINUTE ALL THOSE WHO HAVE GIVEN AND PAID THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE. "LEST WE FORGET"

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk/world/0910040.php

Just read that on his website.

I look forward to his blogs. He doesn't hold back.

It was interesting to see Edu back home having not taken up the offer of a full time role as a Lucky/Lucky man in Valencia.

Exactly why I don't really like this guy.

Celtic did ban the sale of Poppies outside their ground but Poppies were sold in the 'superstore'.

Edited by Gazza_8