From STV. :hm:

He's been shit hot for us this season so it was only a matter of time before the EPL clubs were sniffing about.

Aston Villa have been added to the growing list of Allan McGregor’s admirers after they sent scouts to watch the Rangers goalkeeper in action on Wednesday night. The Scottish international has emerged as a possible signing target for the Midlands club after he caught the eye in Rangers’ 1-0 defeat to Manchester United in the Champions League.

Villa’s assistant manager Gary McAllister and the club’s goalkeeping coach Rafael Gonzalez were both at Ibrox to run the rule over McGregor, according to the Birmingham Mail. The English Premier league side are thought to be on the hunt for a long-term replacement for their current number one, 39-year old American Brad Friedel.

McGregor’s profile has increased after a number of impressive performances for club and country this season and he has been linked with a number of clubs. Manchester United have been touted as a possible bidder for his services and La Liga side Sevilla have also had the 28-year old watched this season.

Speculation that Rangers may cash in on McGregor’s rising value increased when reserve goalkeeper Neil Alexander signed a new deal earlier this month, committing to a new three-year contract. Rangers manager Walter Smith played down the possibility of losing his first choice goalkeeper though, insisting Alexander’s deal was intended to ensure the club had two top level players to call upon.

Rangers current finances may mean they would be unable to resist a multi-million pound bid for McGregor in January. Talks are thought to be ongoing between Rangers and potential buyer Craig Whyte but if no deal is concluded then Smith may have to accept that he will lose the player.

The Rangers manager has already said that due to the small squad he is already working with, he cannot afford to lose any of his first team stars. Following the match against Manchester United on Wednesday he called for reinforcements, saying he needed new faces to remain competitive.

"We need a hand,” Smith admitted. “We are in a situation tonight where we basically only have teenagers left.

"If we don't get any help in the January transfer window then we could have a struggle again because we are right down to the bare bones in terms of what we have.”

I can't see how we can possibly hold on to him if the right offer comes in. The club needs the cash to invest in the squad & as much as he loves playing for us, McGregor would probably be getting an offer of his wages being at least doubled which he'd find difficult to turn his nose up at.

One problem though, is that if McGregor were to be sold for X amount, there's no guarantee that we'd be able to spend X amount. We may only be allowed to spend X divided by 2 or something along those lines, which for my liking would make selling McGregor a bad idea. It would only be worthwhile selling such an amazing keeper if we had the full X amount from his sale to reinvest in 2 or 3 players immediately.

Anything > �£5m and he's gone. We don't have the balls to do otherwise. If he played for Celtic there would be a firm statement issued to the press saying not for sale at any price. This is what we should do - it won't stop big offers coming in but it might put off piddly wee clubs like Villa from sniffing around.

,Easily a 12 million pound player.

Alan Hutton was raved about as being the most improved Ranger but McGregor is in with a shout about that. When he returned from Dunfermline loan I wasnt happy about him being out No.1, now he is up there with the best in the UK. Goram was a stand out in his time - probably the best in Europe at times, so for McGregor to be top 5 in UK is following Gorams way.

Id be disappointed if McGregor went to a smaller club than Arsenal or Man Utd.

Man Yoo are about to sign a 23 year old Scandinavian keeper, so I can't see him going there. I've not heard about any interest from Arsenal although there were rumours they were interested in Gordon at one point, although Fabianski seems to be playing better than the other pair of clowns (not difficult).

Maybe an offer from someone like Villa will force the hand of others who are interested, but I agree, I can see us taking anything over 5M although I think 7M should be the minimum. We just have to accept that our league is in the toilet along with our finances and that reflects on a player's value unfortunately.

Thought Villa were skint and one of the reason geeky o'neill moved on. However if more clubs become interested a bidding war would be interesting.

Not skint but not overflowing in wealth either. O'Neil left because there was disagreement re: his expenditure an signings

Alan Hutton was raved about as being the most improved Ranger but McGregor is in with a shout about that. When he returned from Dunfermline loan I wasnt happy about him being out No.1, now he is up there with the best in the UK

I'm sure Wattereus said he couldn't understand why we signed him when we already had Shagger there. PLG compounded McLeish's error by signing Letizi who is probably the worst Rangers keeper since i've been watching (bear in mind i'm a lot younger than some of you before hitting out with what about "player x").

Much like Hutton we boobed by signing and playing an inferior footballer ahead of him.

Agreed with the rest of your post though.