Craig Whyte: I want Walter on the Board

Walter Smith will be urged to become a powerful Ibrox boardroom player if Craig Whyte succeeds in his �£32 million bid to buy Rangers.

And Ally McCoist's promotion to the manager's office would also be given the seal of approval by the man who would be the next Rangers king.

Whyte's period of due diligence is almost complete and it is understood he remains confident of clinching a deal with David Murray to buy the club within two months. Whyte was hoping to be in control by the turn of the year but that is unlikely.

Despite his frustration, sources at Ibrox and in England insist Whyte, who met Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston on Friday, is determined to get his hands on the club.

And they also stress there would be no change in the proposed line of succession.

McCoist would welcome a takeover from Whyte that edges him closer to landing his dream job.

He said: "I am only concerned that the takeover, if and when it comes, is successful for Rangers.

"If I was buying Rangers I would want my own people running it.

"You keep your fingers crossed that you are the person they want to run it."

Although Whyte would rather see Smith continue as manager he would not block McCoist's own take over. But he is determined to make use of Smith's knowledge and experience.

And if Murray sells to Whyte moves would be made to hold on to Smith.

He'd be offered a position as director of football and if that didn't appeal he would then be invited to take a seat on the board.

Our sources stress that Whyte would want Smith to have a crucial say in the club's direction.

And if Smith were to go for that McCoist would then have a strong ally in the boardroom and there would be a better understanding of the team's needs.

Whyte is bankrolling the entire deal although, with a loan from the buyer, Andrew Ellis is likely to take a 25 per cent stake. But there will be only one man calling the shots and Whyte's desire to own the club is stronger than ever.

Ibrox sources are also convinced he has the financial clout to see this through and believe the deal, which will commit Whyte to spending at least �£5m on players in each of the next five seasons, will be concluded within eight weeks.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/12/06/craig-whyte-i-want-walter-on-the-board-86908-22764832/

Seems McCoist's a cert to be our next manager wether we're bought over or not.

If so, it's a bold decision ... although less so now than when he first became assistant manager. The most reassuring aspect of McCoist's development is that he has finally learned the merits of keeping his mouth shut and his views out of the media every five minutes. The upside is that he's a Rangers man with increasing experience of management - the downside is that he's also very much a McCoist man with no actual management experience whatsoever.

If so, it's a bold decision ... although less so now than when he first became assistant manager. The most reassuring aspect of McCoist's development is that he has finally learned the merits of keeping his mouth shut and his views out of the media every five minutes. The upside is that he's a Rangers man with increasing experience of management - the downside is that he's also very much a McCoist man with no actual management experience whatsoever.

Good summary MF however, I really do feel he'll do the job, although he may need a season which isn't always suitable for OF managers.

Is there any manager of Walter's stature that we could intice to Ibrox who'd be happy to have a paltry �£5 million to spend?

Edited by Stimpy

Ally has served a good apprenticeship under WS for quite some time now,he must've learned a lot,he will be a bit of a gamble no doubt about that,but I remember when WS took over from Souness I wasn't too excited,however we all know how that turned out.

Just for the info ex-Ranger Peter Huistra has fc Groningen lying in 3rd place in the Dutch Ere divisie. From what i have seen of him he also has a Walter type stature being always neatly dressed with Blazer and club tie and always politely spoken. He has Groningen punching above their weight if you look at the budgets of the clubs around them,and they sit above even the mighty Ajax.

I agree with Frankie that McCoist is the cheap option and that is why he heads the list at the moment. However, the club needs to avoid losing the opportunity to inject the real momentum that a new manager can provide. At one time appointing McCoist would have electrified the club, less so now. The right appointment could provide the energy and uplift to carry the club through the next five years - it happened with Souness who, it the truth were told, brought very little in the way of management skill or experience but who did bring the feeling of renewal that became an unstoppable tide when backed up with ambition at board level.

We've seldom been at such a low ebb and I can almost taste the upswing already. Appointing the right manager is key and it needs to be a bold move .... is that McCoist?

BTW, does anyone still remember how to swagger?