ALLY McCOIST couldn't be better prepared to become Rangers boss, according to assistant-in-waiting Kenny McDowall.

The Ibrox first-team coach is convinced he and Super Ally are ready to step up when gaffer Walter Smith quits at the end of the season.

McDowall - not taking anything for granted with the club still in takeover talks - said: "It has been well documented what might happen going forward and it has been spoken about a lot.

"If it was to happen it would be absolutely fantastic.

"I feel I'm ready for the next move forward and it's the same with Ally too.

"We'll both be 48 next summer, so we're not young in terms of stepping up into new roles.

"The players know Ally has a serious side to him already and it will not take him becoming the manager for them to realise that.

"He is well ready for what he has got to do. He has, like the rest of us, had a good education over the last four years and it's something he's prepared for.

"But if anyone has any doubts, there's no need. He's a serious, determined guy and, while it's a big job, he's someone who is well placed to take that on.

"He has got the day-to-day personality people like, but he's so focused at the same time."

It's almost four years since McDowall quit his job in charge of Celtic's reserves to join his boyhood club.

He added: "There are a lot of young managers out there, but we are experienced enough that we're in a good position to kick on.

"The biggest factor for me though is that there's still so much to take care of this season - and we can't lose sight of that.

"What we might achieve over the next few months is massive in relation to what might happen.

"We want to give the gaffer a good send-off. He deserves it and hopefully we can go and win the title for him.

"It's hard to believe it's nearly four years since he brought me to Rangers. Being here has been a real eye-opener for me and I'll forever be grateful to him.

"It's the best opportunity I've ever had in my career.

"He's one of the best coaches we've been fortunate enough to have in this country.

"Would it be Walter's best ever title if we got it this season? Yes, it would. That's a fair comment - and that's our aim."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3278596/Were-ready-to-boss-Gers.html#ixzz18GdTX8m8

Amen to that Frankie. If they can't get the players fired up in the first half of games while Walter is still here I worry about the future. I suspect the fear factor will dwindle considerably when the big yin leaves.

I made a Facebook page about this - tbh I wish Walter would change his mind about leaving. Ally in charge is far too much of the unknown and we trust Walter by and large. He's a safe pair of hands and I fear for us under Ally's management.

This is not to say I am certain McCoist will fail, just that I don't know and I am extremely wary of the future without Walter who has brought so much success.

I made a Facebook page about this - tbh I wish Walter would change his mind about leaving. Ally in charge is far too much of the unknown and we trust Walter by and large. He's a safe pair of hands and I fear for us under Ally's management.

This is not to say I am certain McCoist will fail, just that I don't know and I am extremely wary of the future without Walter who has brought so much success.

I think most fans are of the same opinion. I'm sure WS will be available on the phone for Ally as most new managers have someone to talk to for advice.Ally having served under WS for so long should help him and he knows what is required to manage Rangers,but all in all it is a gamble just like any other appointment or new signing,time will tell of course but all we can do as fans is get behind him which I'm sure the majority of the Rangers fans will

I've never quite bought the need for an "experienced" manager, it's no guarantee of success. Exhibit A would have to be Souness. And even without having managed anyone, McCoist has been assistant manager of both the national team and the biggest club in the country for 6 years. Lennon is inexperienced - McCoist is no mug.