Supporters direct survey

SD Scotland is conducting a quick survey to get fan opinion on the SPL/Henry McLeish proposals for the reform of Scottish football.

SD Scotland was the only fans' organisation consulted by Henry McLeish prior to publication of Part Two of his Report.

Have your say on the vital issues affecting Scottish Football.

Find the survey here http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/scottishfootball

I too would like to vote but they've not given much supporting information/arguments for why we should choose one number over another...

Personally, I don't see the point in moving from the current set-up other than making sure at least 2 teams are relegated and making sure every team plays the same number of games home and away.

I am in favour of a bigger league, perhaps 14 at the moment. The move from 10 to 12 was a success in my book, with the additional 2 teams proving to be valuable additions to the league, and I feel that there are perhaps another 2 clubs that could add to the quality of the league as it is. Obviously the number of games is an issue, and with 14 clubs there would need to be a split of sorts as playing twice is too few and playing 3/4 times is too many.

In the comments box, I put in that the question of Rangers fans being unfairly priced at away games needs to be addressed, sometime by as much as 50% increase from normal gate prices, and this despite us bringing the largest travelling support and the host club receiving tv money as all our away games are shown live. And I also put that there should be a rule that in the event of an abandoned game that does not stand as a result, fans who attended that game should be allowed entry to the rearranged game without further charge. You pay to see a fixture completed, and your ticket should be valid until that fixture is completed, even if it is postponed or abandoned.

Now that the McLeish report has been published, I dont see the point of the survey as the horse has bolted, but I filled it out anyway.

I have thought about it further and decided that my preference is 12.

On question 2, although my preference is 12, i would not be opposed to a reduction of 10, but I'm also not for it, so neither of the answers of the answers suit.

Also, while I think there should be a greater say for fans, who decides what fans it should be? There has to be some fan-wide consultation for it to occur.

Thank you all for your comments and for those who have taken part in the survey. The horse has most certainly not bolted as although McLeish stated a preference for 2x10, it is up to the SPL to decide and it needs a minimum of 11 of the current 12 in favour; so there may well be an impasse and then hopefully the fans views will be taken more into account. SD will publish the results to that end. If there is sufficient response then SD may try to pre-empt the decision by publishing early.

SD did not wish to influence the result by advancing any arguments which are well rehearsed in any event and some of them are included in the Mcleish report [pages 58-59].

Survey completed!

Persoanlly, I think it's proposterous to suggest that Scotland's top league only have 10 teams when practically every other league in Europe's top 20-30 leagues has 16, 18 or 20 teams who play each other once home & once away each season. There are very good reasons all the other leagues have 16, 18 or 20 teams. It's the simplest, most sensible and arguably fairest way for a country's top league to be structured. Understanding this is not rocket science and neither is seeing that 16 teams is by far the most common number meaning that each team only has to play 30 league games per season, thus avoiding fixture congestion.

Belgian - 16 teams

Greek - 16 teams

Portuguese - 16 teams

Russian - 16 teams

Ukrainian - 16 teams

Polish - 16 teams

Czech - 16 teams

Swedish - 16 teams

Hungarian - 16 teams

Croatian - 16 teams

Bosnian-Herzegovinian - 16 teams

Israeli - 16 teams

Bulgarian - 16 teams

Norwegian - 16 teams

Serbian - 16 teams

It's high time some people with common sense were running Scottish football and it's high time our top league was brought in line with other good leagues in Europe.

Austria is the only league I can think of that has a 10 team league.

There's quite a few 10 team leagues actually mate, but they're mostly total garbage. Garbage as in even worse than ours. I think the only other remotely decent league in Europe's top 20 which has 10 teams is the Swiss league, but we should be aiming higher than that.

The problem I have with a 14 team league is having to have the split like we have now which is a totally rediculous concept. With a 16 or 18 team league we'd have none of the split nonsense and just a straight forward 30 or 34 league games a season.