... underestimated the quality, pace, passion and strength of the SPL?

IMO, he has and this can be seen in some of his signings. He signed players like Svensson on merits that are not suitable for the SPL. A centre-half that cannot head a ball might look class in France, but in the SPL, he looks like a Sunday League player.

Leading on from this, we had a very interesting conversation on the journey home on Saturday about the merits of employing an 'assistant manager' from Scotland. Look at most 'foriegn' managers in the EPL, they all have 'English - English based' assistants and when Souness signed for us, his first signing was Walter Smith.

Cammy F

i`m pissed off murray hasn`t let him spend more.

sureley to fuck he`d have known the kind of player rangers signed in the past and therefore why should it be any different now?

i`m actually blaming murray for not supporting him more in terms of giving him good advice and being happy that leguen didn`t want more money from him to strenghthen the squad.

i beleive if we`re still in the race at xmas then we`ll be seeing rangers move for bigger names and a few of them too!

He signed players like Svensson on merits that are not suitable for the SPL. A centre-half that cannot head a ball might look class in France, but in the SPL, he looks like a Sunday League player.

Finally, someone else agrees with me about Svensson.

I don't think PLG has underestimated the standard of the SPL, I think a few of his signings have.

I don't think a manager as good as PLG would make a mistake like that(well I hope not). Gazza makes a great point about some players may have underestimated the SPL. Players not just this season but in the past as well seem to think they can just pull on the RANGERS jersey, stroll through games and pick up trophies. When they do realise that they need to fight for everything, they don't seem to be up for the challenge.

Arrogance, bad attitude or just plain lack of talent, whatever it may be. PLG needs to get it booted out of them right away. In the defence of some players, they probably just don't understand the scottish mentality and don't have the capabilities to come to terms with it.

That's a excellent point about a scottish/scotland based assistant cammy. I think that would have been a great move for PLG. As good a manager that he is, an assistant with a full understanding of the scottish game would've been a massive help. Not too late I suppose.