Motherwell will hold further talks on Wednesday with former Scotland international Stuart McCall about the club's managerial vacancy.

The 46-year-old ex-Bradford boss impressed the board of the Lanarkshire club after his initial interview.

There were talks with other candidates but McCall is now seen as the man to succeed Craig Brown, now at Aberdeen.

Well had interviewed former Oldham boss Dave Penney, while Neil McDonald and Ricky Sbragia withdrew their interest.

Should talks with McCall progress as Motherwell hope, the club could make a statement as early as Wednesday evening but a more likely scenario is that the former Scotland midfielder would be paraded at a media conference within the next 48 hours.

McCall was a key player at Ibrox in the 1990s when Walter Smith was in his first stint as Rangers manager.

Penney, 46, had emerged as a possible candidate for the Fir Park vacancy, and had been interviewed, his experience in England's lower leagues appealing to the Motherwell board.

Former Blackburn Rovers assistant McDonald pulled out of the running after deciding the job was not for him.

That followed a similar decision by Sunderland chief scout Sbragia.

I'm like General Montgomery going down to see the troops every morning, I give them a battle plan and the casualty list

Motherwell interim manager

Gordon Young

Should an appointment not be made ahead of Wednesday's game against Celtic, interim manager Gordon Young is prepared for a third game in charge.

"I've always adopted the attitude that I would keep the place on a steady footing and organise so that when a new manager came in, whether it be a day or a month, there would be no way he wouldn't hit the ground running," said youth coach Young.

"I have planned for the game tomorrow, I have planned for Hamilton and, believe it or not, I have planned for Dundee the week after.

"I'm like General Montgomery going down to see the troops every morning, I give them a battle plan and the casualty list. It is becoming a bit of a laugh in the dressing-room."

McDonald became the latest to fall by the wayside despite holding negotiations in Scotland and watching Motherwell's 4-1 defeat by Rangers on Boxing Day.

The 45-year-old, who was surprisingly sacked along with Sam Allardyce at Ewood Park this month, returned to his Preston home to think over the post but decided against progressing with negotiations.

He fulfilled the criteria laid out by Motherwell vice-chairman Derek Weir as he told BBC Scotland on Sunday they were down to "two, maybe three" candidates for their managerial vacancy following more than 40 applications.

"There are three things we are looking for," revealed Weir. "We want someone who is well known in the lower leagues of England, because that has worked well for us in the past in terms of finding players we can afford.

"People who have a network in terms of bringing in loan signings, which again has worked well for us.

"And then people with experience, either in the Scottish or English game.

"There are a lot of people out there who have all of that. Now we have to narrow it down."

That would appear to rule out the likes of former Hibernian manager John Hughes, ex-St Mirren boss Gus MacPherson and former Aberdeen and Kilmarnock boss Jimmy Calderwood.

Lennoxtown-born Sbragia is understood to have been high on their wanted list having been Sunderland caretaker in December 2008 after the departure of Roy Keane and leading the side to safety from relegation on the last day of the season before resigning.

Ex-Lincoln boss and former Celtic striker Chris Sutton was thought to be in the running and also fits the bill set out by Weir.

Sources close to former Celtic striker John Hartson, who had been in the running for the Wales job before the appointment of Gary Speed, had suggested last week that he was expecting to hear from the SPL club.

Someone else who has previous with The Establishment. :grin:

Will be watching this one with interest. I've always thought that the identikit Rangers manager is one who has an affinity with club and has learned his trade at a lower level and been relatively successful. So Derek McInnes is one and until now I cannot think of another, though I would have thought Gough at one stage. Long term we need options if things don't work out for our Ally.