Walter Smith has made more signings throughout his two spells as Rangers manager than he cares to recall.

But there is one particular piece of business he has conducted for the Ibrox club he can�t help but regard as his shrewdest to date.

During the nine-in-a-row days Smith was in the fortunate position of being able to attract the likes of Brian Laudrup and Paul Gascoigne to Ibrox.

However, it is a signing in his second stint in the hotseat which stands out ahead of the others for the 62-year-old.

When he inherited a struggling squad in the aftermath of Paul Le Guen�s ill-fated period in Glasgow, one of the first moves Smith made was to bring in a player he knew and trusted more than any other.

It was only supposed to be a stop-gap fix to a defensive problem, but four years down the line Davie Weir is still the main focal point of Smith�s team and the man he entrusts to lead his players into the heat of battle.

At Ibrox on Sunday when Rangers entertain Old Firm rivals Celtic, Weir will clock up his 200th appearance for the Light Blues. Itââ?¬â?¢s an astonishing record considering he is now 40 years of age. ââ?¬Å?When I brought him up here from Everton on loan I would have thought the 20 games between the January until the end of the season would have been what we were looking at,ââ?¬Â said Smith.

ââ?¬Å?But such were his performances during that period that we have no hesitation whatsoever in taking him for another year. I didnââ?¬â?¢t think it would stretch to another three after that.

ââ?¬Å?It has done, however, and it is a testament to him as a professional player that he is handling the situation the way he is.ââ?¬Â

Weir was involved in Rangers� dramatic run to the Uefa Cup Final in 2008 and the fixture backlog that came as a result of that when the Ibrox club were forced to play four games in the space of a week.

The following season, he helped them win the first of two titles and has rarely missed a game through injury or suspension ââ?¬â?? and itââ?¬â?¢s that consistency of availability that has pleasantly surprised Smith.

Smith said: ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s not just that he has managed to play 200 games for Rangers. Itââ?¬â?¢s that he has managed to play the amount of games in a row that he has.

ââ?¬Å?Those 200 games have all come within a four-year period so he has averaged around 50 games a season for us and that is terrific for any player, never mind someone who is at the stage of their career which he is.

ââ?¬Å?I think Iââ?¬â?¢ve left him out for a couple of games during that time and if he had his way that wouldnââ?¬â?¢t have been the case. He wants to play in every match and he would have already reached the 200 landmark had I not left him out here and there.

ââ?¬Å?To say he has exceeded my expectations is a major understatement. When you look at signings everyone always asks you who is your best signing and as a manager youââ?¬â?¢ve got to be fortunate to have quite a few of them.

ââ?¬Å?But Davie has put himself in a different level. Despite his age he is playing as well as he ever has done and he has been absolutely terrific for us. From a personal point of view, I canââ?¬â?¢t speak highly enough of him.

ââ?¬Å?For any young boy, if they are looking for a role model, then Davie would be the logical choice and itââ?¬â?¢s not just during this spell at Rangers than Iââ?¬â?¢m judging him on as I also had him as a player earlier when I was manager at Everton.

ââ?¬Å?Davie was an important player for me down there and his attitude and dedication has always been first class.ââ?¬Â

Smith believes every player who has partnered him at the heart of the Rangers defence since he arrived in the January of 2007 would vouch for his qualities as well.

ââ?¬Å?Davie has played beside so many players throughout his time with us,ââ?¬Â said Smith.

ââ?¬Å?I am sure Carlos Cuellar would be the first to say he was a major influence and allowed him to perform so well during his time here.

ââ?¬Å?Madjid Bougherra would say the same having built up an excellent partnership with him over the last few years.

ââ?¬Å?Young Danny Wilson came in and was fortunate to have someone with Davieââ?¬â?¢s experience to help him through games and it has been the same for all the other lads who have played there at various times.

ââ?¬Å?Sasa Papac, Kirk Broadfoot, Steven Whittaker and even Lee McCulloch have all, at some point of another, played there and Iââ?¬â?¢m sure each and every one of them will say having Davie there to talk them through the game was invaluable.ââ?¬Â

But after 200 games, there�s no need for Smith to talk up Weir.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/simply-the-best-i-ever-signed-1.1077179