1 step forward 10 steps back

In the SPL there is no doubt that WS stabilised a sinking ship that had been scuttled by PLG and deserves great credit in my opinion for going on to win the title twice with no money to spend. That he has done so with little or no tactical awareness makes the achievement all the more baffling or perhaps it is just an indictment on the lack of quality elsewhere.

Jerome Rothen, all left foot and brought apparently to fill the gap in left midfield but played almost exclusively on the right; Weiss all right foot played almost exclusively on the left and unlike Novo not a threat to score from that position; Whittaker in left midfield where he is like a fish out of water, to accommodate the highly mediocre Foster at right back when it was found he could not play on the left; and so many more, we each have our own examples.

You cannot take anything away from our run to the UEFA Cup Final, even if it was on the back of a "don't lose a goal at home" policy, that was the name of the game in two leg matches with the first leg at home. But since then we have been a disgrace: playing Dailly in central midfield and leaving Hemdani and Darcheville on the bench on that miserable night in Kaunas; the desperate home CL performances of 2009; failing to attack in the second half at home this season against Man Utd when Valencia were cantering in Bursa; failing to attack in Valencia, a game we HAD to win if we were to have any chance of qualifying; failing to attack in Bursa when it was clear in the first half that they were extremely nervous and there for the taking and meakly falling back and settling for a draw more or less gifting them their only point in the group.

And what price it will be 5 at the back again in both legs against Sporting. It is one thing playing 5 at the back against Man U at Old Trafford or even Ibrox but once you go behind or the opposition draw level, what do you do then, answer keep playing the same way and end up drawing or losing as in 4 of the 6 games this season.

Of course it was exactly the same in the 10 in a row season, nothing changes it seems.

Has Smith really been a cheque book manager in winning the last two titles ? Utter tosh. He won back to back titles whilst not purchasing one single player and seeing a full team leave.

Did he not spend nigh on �£20m when he first came back (the reason we are in the financial dirt again but obviously Murrays fault mainly)?

Let's not forget this is a 2 team league and one of those teams have been dire ever since MON left and have not had a competent manager since he left

In the SPL there is no doubt that WS stabilised a sinking ship that had been scuttled by PLG and deserves great credit in my opinion for going on to win the title twice with no money to spend. That he has done so with little or no tactical awareness makes the achievement all the more baffling or perhaps it is just an indictment on the lack of quality elsewhere.

Jerome Rothen, all left foot and brought apparently to fill the gap in left midfield but played almost exclusively on the right; Weiss all right foot played almost exclusively on the left and unlike Novo not a threat to score from that position; Whittaker in left midfield where he is like a fish out of water, to accommodate the highly mediocre Foster at right back when it was found he could not play on the left; and so many more, we each have our own examples.

You cannot take anything away from our run to the UEFA Cup Final, even if it was on the back of a "don't lose a goal at home" policy, that was the name of the game in two leg matches with the first leg at home. But since then we have been a disgrace: playing Dailly in central midfield and leaving Hemdani and Darcheville on the bench on that miserable night in Kaunas; the desperate home CL performances of 2009; failing to attack in the second half at home this season against Man Utd when Valencia were cantering in Bursa; failing to attack in Valencia, a game we HAD to win if we were to have any chance of qualifying; failing to attack in Bursa when it was clear in the first half that they were extremely nervous and there for the taking and meakly falling back and settling for a draw more or less gifting them their only point in the group.

And what price it will be 5 at the back again in both legs against Sporting. It is one thing playing 5 at the back against Man U at Old Trafford or even Ibrox but once you go behind or the opposition draw level, what do you do then, answer keep playing the same way and end up drawing or losing as in 4 of the 6 games this season.

Of course it was exactly the same in the 10 in a row season, nothing changes it seems.

Terrific post.

Mr Smith has continually been unable to come up with the goods when it matters, 10 in a row euro cup final, euro CL games, 9 out of 10 posters on here would have won what Smith has, with the money he has had at his disposal, C'est la vie

Is there a category for the worst post of the season :sigh: or even the decade ...............

Is there a category for the worst post of the season :sigh: or even the decade ...............

You must be in the Stevie Wonder category, often and easily led.....:flash::D

PS...don't worry I wont post WS's euro record, it would only excite you. ;)...........And WS thought we played well yesterday, and there's more, but I lost the will to live after I read that pish.....

Edited by wabashcannonball

You must be in the Stevie Wonder category, often and easily led.....:flash::D

PS...don't worry I wont post WS's euro record, it would only excite you. ;)...........And WS thought we played well yesterday, and there's more, but I lost the will to live after I read that pish.....

yeah they always say that after the post, ok i believe you meant to wind us all up of course :sneaky:

again no one else could have done what smith has done since he's been back but it just isn't enough for some fans, and you say i'm the stevie wonder category, are you even in the real world :hm:

yeah they always say that after the post, ok i believe you meant to wind us all up of course :sneaky:

again no one else could have done what smith has done since he's been back but it just isn't enough for some fans, and you say i'm the stevie wonder category, are you even in the real world :hm:

Wind up, yer avin a fekin giraffe, thems facts dude, piss poor in europe, bottled a final, and loadsa dosh to win a two horse race, a race in which the other runner usually only had three legs and one of them was broke.....