January 2011 Transfer Window - Healy, Diouf and Bartley IN

Commons is now saying there was never an offer from us, that it was all paper talk.

And meanwhile I got a text from a mate saying Riordan has signed. Its not on the beeb, so 'm guessing someone has posted it on a gers forum somewhere or he's just making a hilarious practical joke?

Commons is now saying there was never an offer from us, that it was all paper talk.

And meanwhile I got a text from a mate saying Riordan has signed. Its not on the beeb, so 'm guessing someone has posted it on a gers forum somewhere or he's just making a hilarious practical joke?

So is it a lie from Commons or us? Riordan signing no news so I'm hoping bullshit at the moment.

Heres our transfer policy �£15k basic take it or leave it :(

I think that's fair enough - we're a club that have been forced to learn you can only spend what you earn. Players wages are out of control and we're in no position to join the race to oblivion. Which is a good thing in the long run.

The finances are complicated but people forget all the money comes from the fans - so let's simplify it quite a bit.

Imagine all the income apart from gate money pays for running costs for the club and the gate money is ring-fenced for the players wages. Imagine also all the players are on the same wage of 14k a week and so the ticket price pays exactly for this.

Say that sets the ticket price at �£28 per home match for a nice easy calculation.

Now we want to sign a player but he wants 20k, however in this scenario that means we have to pay everyone the same. The club would therefore have to raise the ticket price to �£40 per game.

The question is, would you want to buy the player and pay that ticket price, or keep it as it is?

It's a great simplification but the principle is correct. It's easy to tell the club just to pay, but do you really want to pay for the knock-on effects? It's your money really...

Begging scraps from the table is one thing but employing celtic cast offs is quite unacceptable for Rangers. Perhaps Walter feels vindicated by Miller but I'll tell him now Riordan will find nothing but hostility at Ibrox. Ffs is there no pride left at all?

Indeed he will, as they say, fuck that for a game of soldiers :)