Craig Whyte remains hopeful of concluding his proposed takeover of Rangers before the end of January.

Whyte has been in negotiations with the current owner Sir David Murray since the middle of November.

He had initially hoped to complete a �£33m deal before Christmas, but due diligence has taken longer than the Scottish businessman expected.

However, if that can be concluded soon, Whyte aims to take over in time to help Walter Smith strengthen his squad.

On Thursday, Smith bemoaned the current financial constraints at the club, stating that he would be unable to bring in new players unless he sold first.

As of September 2010 Rangers' debt stood at �£27m.

While Smith was allowed to conduct some transfer business in the summer - including the purchase of Nikica Jelavic for �£4m - his hands have been largely tied on that front for the past three seasons.

The Scottish champions trail league leaders Celtic by four points, although they have two games in hand.

However, as things stand, Smith will have to challenge in all domestic competitions, as well as in the Europa League, with the same small squad of players.

Meanwhile, across Glasgow, rivals Celtic appear likely to bring in more players during the January transfer window.

Champions League participation over the last two seasons has helped Rangers go some way to alleviating their financial problems.

But failure to win the Scottish Premier League again this term, and thereby miss out on the lucrative Champions League, would reverse that trend and make things even more restrictive for whoever succeeds Smith as Rangers manager next season.

Bookmark with:

Delicious Digg reddit Facebook StumbleUpon

What are these?

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

see also

Whyte holds further Rangers talks

03 Dec 10 | Rangers

Gers boss pleads for investment

24 Nov 10 | Rangers

Ibrox changes will not sway Smith

19 Nov 10 | Rangers

Duo hold Rangers takeover talks

18 Nov 10 | Rangers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

related bbc links:

Rangers fans' views on My Sport

BBC Where I Live - Scotland

Glasgow weather

BBC Sport SPL

related internet links:

Unless I actually see Whyte make a comment in front of camera, I think it best to assume its a load ay p***. In the past 2 years I think I've read that exact same article (except for perhaps then names of the alleged protagonist(s)) about 20 times. Total guff.

Rangers is all but unsellable. That's why there has been no sale and probably won't be any sale. At least that's my take on it.

I think you could be spot on there. If one of the main points of Alastair Johnston's appointment as Chairman was his ties to US money-men with interests in sporting investment, then where are they? Nowhere to be seen is the answer. Clubs all over England are being acquired every year from small clubs to massive clubs and yet nobody can be found to buy Rangers and invest in it? Something is amiss! Our stadium is falling to pieces while small English clubs in League 1 can find the money to build state-of-the-art purpose built venues? Again, something is amiss!

I find I've finally accepted the permanent decline of Rangers, which I now expect will move closer to the level of Hearts and the rest of the chasing pack. A couple of years ago I was still livid and wanted everyone to protest against the neglect that was driving this disintegration, now I accept that most Rangers fans would rather bury their heads than face facts. Give it another 20 years and Rangers will only dream about filling Ibrox.

We've been betrayed by our own shareholders, our directors and, if we're honest, the majority of our support. In my lifetime the club has gone from a national treasure to a pariah club with every social stigma firmly attached. It's a fucking outrage but you can only howl alone at the moon for so long. I hope I'm wrong but I believe we only see a fraction of the problems at Rangers and most of us couldn't guess how badly we've been raped by that fat legless bastard (no apology).

I find I've finally accepted the permanent decline of Rangers, which I now expect will move closer to the level of Hearts and the rest of the chasing pack. A couple of years ago I was still livid and wanted everyone to protest against the neglect that was driving this disintegration, now I accept that most Rangers fans would rather bury their heads than face facts. Give it another 20 years and Rangers will only dream about filling Ibrox.

We've been betrayed by our own shareholders, our directors and, if we're honest, the majority of our support. In my lifetime the club has gone from a national treasure to a pariah club with every social stigma firmly attached. It's a fucking outrage but you can only howl alone at the moon for so long. I hope I'm wrong but I believe we only see a fraction of the problems at Rangers and most of us couldn't guess how badly we've been raped by that fat legless bastard (no apology).

I agree 100% with this mate but you are disgrace with the comment in bold. You should be ashamed of yourself.