Liverpool agree fee of �£23m for Suarez

Don't really know much about Suarez other than wathcing him at the WC2010. Could be a good bit of business for Liverpool though if they do sell Torres to Chelsea for anything between the �£40m and �£60m that's being reported.

Click to play

Click to play

Suarez scores with a stunning strike at 2010 World Cup

Liverpool have agreed a fee to sign Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez from Dutch club Ajax for �£23m.

The deal for the 24-year-old striker is subject to Suarez passing a medical and agreeing personal terms with the Premier League club.

Liverpool initially bid �£12.7m for Suarez, but Ajax told them to come back with a more "respectful" offer.

That led to Liverpool almost doubling their offer to tempt the Dutch giants to sell the forward.

Clubs usually have to pay a premium to sign players during the January transfer window - Bosnia striker Edin Dzeko reportedly cost Manchester City �£27m earlier this month - and Ajax will make a �£16.6m profit on a player they bought from Groningen for �£6.4m in 2007.

PHIL MCNULTY'S BLOG

Will Suarez be a partner for Fernando Torres or a replacement? And how will he adapt to the Premier League?

But BBC Sport blogger Tim Vickery suggested that Liverpool had invested wisely.

"If I had �£23m in my bank account I wouldn't have too many qualms about spending it on Suarez," Vickery told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Everybody wins. Ajax played the transfer game poker very well. Liverpool have paid top whack but they have got a striker who can play across the line.

During his spell with the Amsterdam club Suarez scored 111 goals in 159 appearances. His scoring ratio for Uruguay is one goal in every three internationals, having scored 10 times in 30 games, including three goals in last summer's World Cup.

The Uruguayan has just finished serving a seven-match ban for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal on the shoulder in a league match in November.

"I can understand Luis wanting to go to Liverpool, it's a beautiful club, but then it has to be satisfying for both parties," said Ajax manager Frank de Boer.

Suarez is the first major signing for Liverpool's new owners, Fenway Sports Group, since it bought the club in October.

However, it comes at a time when the Reds have just turned down an offer from Premier League rivals Chelsea of about �£35m for Fernando Torres and the focus is likely to remain on whether the Spaniard will be sold in the next few days.

SUAREZ CAREER HISTORY

January 1987: Born in Salto, Uruguay

2005: Makes professional debut with Montevideo club Nacional (12 goals, 29 games)

2006: Signs for Dutch side Groningen (10 goals, 29 games)

February 2007: Makes debut for Uruguay against Colombia; sent off in 85th minute

August 2007: Joins Ajax in a �£6.4m deal

January 2011: Liverpool agree �£23m deal with Ajax for Suarez

The 26-year-old Torres has struggled for form so far this season but has scored nine goals in 26 appearances for the Reds.

Suarez was at the centre of controversy when he was sent off in Uruguay's World Cup quarter-final against Ghana for handling the ball on the line to keep out Dominic Adiyah's goalbound header in the last minute of the game.

Ghana missed the subsequent spot-kick and were beaten in a penalty shoot-out - with Suarez celebrating from the sidelines.

Last weekend Suarez, who has scored seven goals in the Dutch league this season, spoke of his desire to play in the Premier League.

"I used to think that English football was not my style," the Uruguayan, who turned 24 on Monday, told the Sunday Times. "But I saw Carlos Tevez play at Boca and Corinthians and I never imagined that he would play in the Premier League.

"When I see the way that Tevez plays there I think I can be a big name in England. It's because of the energy, and the spirit they put into the game in England. Now, I think it's a kind of football that suits me."

A nice tidy profit for Ajax too.

You wouldn't give a shit how crazy a player is if they can score the number of goals Suarez can! Liverpool will probably double their money on this guy as well.

Of course you would. He'll be a target from opposition players and looking at the footage of him on YouTube he'll bite more often than not. Like I said, Pete can tell us more about him.

Of course you would.

I wouldn't! I'm jealous as fuck! Seeing teams buying top quality players like Suarez while we're buying pish like Beattie and being linked with shite like David Healy breaks my fcking heart! It's fcking horendous!

I wouldn't! I'm jealous as fuck! Seeing teams buying top quality players like Suarez while we're buying pish like Beattie and being linked with shite like David Healy breaks my fcking heart! It's fcking horendous!

What a difference an entertaining league makes.

Bit of a kick in the teeth for liverpool, they sign a 24m player and then Torres hands in transfer request.

But if Chelsea come back with that mental rumoured fee of 60 million they should bite the hand off then go use that on the squad. Its rumoured Drogba is on his way out of Chelsea, they should do a deal that involves swap plus cash.