If we're to believe some parts of the media today, MIH and Lloyds Bank have freed Rangers from any liability in the event HMRC imposed tax penalties as a result of current investigations. If true, and it seems to be, there really should now be no obstacle to a genuinely interested buyer and a genuinely intent seller. The only question should be whether we have either of these in play at the moment. If we do, surely a deal should be announced within weeks and npt delayed to bolster season ticket sales.

If this is true then i can only construe this as an parting gift from SDM???

More likely a parting "we got it wrong whilst I was at the helm so I will take the obligation for it if we are shown to have been evading the tax".

hardly a gift when it was under his stewardhip that this potential liability came about !

If we're to believe some parts of the media today, MIH and Lloyds Bank have freed Rangers from any liability in the event HMRC imposed tax penalties as a result of current investigations. If true, and it seems to be, there really should now be no obstacle to a genuinely interested buyer and a genuinely intent seller. The only question should be whether we have either of these in play at the moment. If we do, surely a deal should be announced within weeks and npt delayed to bolster season ticket sales.

Surely a takeover could potentially improve ST sales?

Surely a takeover could potentially improve ST sales?

No, a takeover WOULD increase ST sales and I've no issue with that. It would also allow me to return to Ibrox for the first time in years. The problem we have faced year after year is ST sales being inflated by empty promises and deliberately false dawns.

Can somebody please tell me whats going on?

I dont pretend to understand all the share stuff so just wanted a good old plain explanation as to what is happening?

None of us know what's going on, but the shifting/consolidation of shares into a single block points in the direction of preparations being made for a takeover of the club. That's about it really other than the possibility that it could be a big fat red herring as maineflyer and others have pointed out.

This was posted on RM by the Rabbit.........

It seems that one of the main sticking points of any potential takeover by Craig Whyte may have been resolved in the past few days. The Daily Records Gary Ralston is reporting that the responsibility for the impending HMRC tax case has been taken as the responsibility of Murray International Holdings and Lloyds and not that of Rangers Football Club.

The story reports that Craig Whyte is on the verge of finishing his due diligence and should be on schedule to make a bid for the club sometime soon. The HMRC problem comes from Rangers' use of controversial remuneration trusts, where players were paid using offshore trusts. There are differing reports of what this would mean, however a sum of around �£24 million seems to be the common denominator for monies being saught.

If the �£24million was to be demanded from HMRC then it would effectively double the existing debt owed by the club. The pending tax case was due to be settled at the end of last year, however it was delayed until the middle of 2011 and believed to be completed towards the end of the year.

Craig Whyte's bid had seemed to have been dead in the water as the different timescales and deadlines that he set for himself had came and gone with no movement. However it does now appear that there are movements happening that will facilitate a deal for the club, including movement of Sir David Murray's shares. One name that seems to have dropped off the radar completely is

It is now believed however that MIH and Lloyds are willing to relinquish Rangers responsibility for the �£24 million in order to facilitate a sale which would allow Whyte to plan the minutiae of his takeover bid, which he is confident of now completing by March. Whyte has insisted that should he gain control of the club, he would make �£5million per year available for the manager of the club, who he expects to be Ally McCoist.

Any sale has further been made easier as some trading of Rangers shares yesterday saw director Dave King consolidate his 5% share holding of the club through his company Metlika. Previously King hadn't owned shares of Rangers directly, his �£20 million investment was in Murray Sports Ltd, however this now means that King has direct ownership of his 5% of shares and perhaps more importantly, Murray's 85% ownership can be more easily sold.

Tax vanishes after close season and the opportunity to bring in players and before a season ticket renewal which occurs before the opportunity to bring in players.

Believe it when I see it loyal.