HE could have gone to Liverpool and he could have gone to Tottenham, but here he was in Renfrewshire.

If either of those Barclays Premier League heavyweights had got their way last week Charlie Adam would currently be one of the most expensive players in Scottish football history, carrying a price tag of just under �£7m. For the time being heâ��s still at struggling Blackpool and no-oneâ��s ever paid more than �£500,000 for him, but yesterday Adam could walk the corridors of the Scotland squad hotel knowing that heâ��s been the talk of the steamie.

Itâ��s only a week since Sky Sports News spent transfer deadline day hyperventilating over three main moves: Fernando Torres to Chelsea for �£50m, Andy Carroll to Liverpool for �£35m and Adam to Merseyside or London. Only one of those was not completed but it was still a January window which redrew Adamâ��s profile. For a day or two he was one of the most talked about footballers in Britain.

Who would have thought it? There were times when Adam was cast out to Ross County and St Mirren on loan. He�s been jeered and an easy target as a Rangers player and was allowed to leave for buttons. The reinvention from footballing ugly duckling to swan seems to have been made with no feathers ruffled. He was the same likeable, vaguely bashful individual yesterday that he has always been.

ââ?¬Å?It is like any other window,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?Everybody goes mental; Sky Sports goes mental. But it is like any other day in a footballerââ?¬â?¢s life. There is always speculation. Thatââ?¬â?¢s what happens. It is crazy but it has gone. The speculation has not affected me. Iââ?¬â?¢ve just gotten on with it. Iââ?¬â?¢ve dealt with it.ââ?¬Â

Adamâ��s remarkable improvement reached the point where Liverpool and Kenny Dalglish made two unsuccessful bids, the second worth �£6.8m. Spurs claimed they made an 11th hour offer for the same sum which was accepted by Blackpool but the paperwork could not be signed off in time. In the middle of it all Adam himself made a transfer request, which was rejected. He was less than chuffed about being denied the chance to leave.

It was a dizzying episode for the 25-year-old. Even if he hasnââ?¬â?¢t switched clubs he still has the baggage of being rated at a supposed Ã?£14m by Blackpool manager Ian Holloway. ââ?¬Å?How can you value someone nowadays? At the end of the day people will pay what they want to pay. It is important to me that I just keep doing what I can for Blackpool. You know that there is a lot of money in the Premier League and you cannot help what people want to pay.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢m fortunate, I played for one the Old Firm and I learned a lot of hard lessons there. I played a lot of big games and you have to be able to deal with it. So I think that stood me in good stead. Since leaving Rangers my career has just gone on leaps and bounds and that is what happens when you are playing regularly. Iââ?¬â?¢m getting enjoyment from playing in a good team, with good team-mates and a good manager. They should get the credit, too. If it wasnââ?¬â?¢t for them I wouldnââ?¬â?¢t be in the situation I am in.

ââ?¬Å?You never know what will happen. Iââ?¬â?¢ll still have a year left on my contract when the summer comes and for me the focus is all on Blackpool. Iââ?¬â?¢m fortunate enough, I have played at Rangers, it is a massive club, and now I am playing in one of the best leagues in the world so how can I complain? It is nice to be complimented but you cannot be too excited or get ahead of yourself or it will be gone as quick as it has come.ââ?¬Â

There must be embarrassment around Rangers about Adam. The club were shrewd enough to insert a sell-on clause which will give them 10% of any transfer fee above �£500,000. Still, many will wonder why a player who was peripheral at Ibrox, and often a focal point for criticism from supporters, has blossomed so dramatically in a grander football environment.

Did he feel he had proved people wrong since leaving Ibrox in 2009? ââ?¬Å?Yes, I do. There are certain people that I have proved wrong. I can have a smile on my face when I see certain people, knowing that inside they are hurting. You are always out to prove people wrong in this game. You canââ?¬â?¢t please everybody. When I step out on to the pitch Iââ?¬â?¢m there to prove and to show to people that I am good enough to play at this level.ââ?¬Â

Like who? ââ?¬Å?I cannot name names, but there were people in football. You are always trying to prove people wrong.ââ?¬Â Did he mean the manager who sold him 18 months ago? ââ?¬Å?It is nothing to do with Walter Smith. I have got a lot of respect for Walter, for what he has achieved and for what he did for me. He gave me the opportunity to go to Blackpool and get regular football. I do not have any bad words to say about Walter. He is a terrific man and a great manager.

ââ?¬Å?I never thought I was the whipping boy at Rangers. I got a bit of stick for my performances but you have to take it on the chin and get on with it. It was difficult but the most difficult thing for me was not playing. I would play one week and then not play for another four or five weeks. That was the hard thing. Fortunately now I am playing regularly in a top league and hopefully my performances have justified where I am.

ââ?¬Å?I had periods of playing regularly under Paul Le Guen and Walter Smith but when you come through the ranks [at Rangers] it is more difficult to get in the side because the club spent money on players and the chairman wants to know why they are not in the team.ââ?¬Â

He could afford to be diplomatic about his current club. His dad, also Charlie, probably revealed the familyââ?¬â?¢s feelings last week when he described Blackpool as ââ?¬Å?cheap-skatesââ?¬Â for wanting even more money for his boy. He claimed any transfer was blocked out of spite because Charlie recently took them to a tribunal over an unpaid bonus payment.

No-one has enjoyed the flowering of Charlie Adam more than his father, who had reached a point where he found it too upsetting to come to Ibrox and witness his lad being jeered. ââ?¬Å?I have just bought a new house so he is down every week. He loves coming to watch and who wouldnââ?¬â?¢t when you are playing the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham? It was difficult for him to watch at Ibrox but that is the way it goes at the Old Firm. Someone has got to get the stick but I am enjoying the way I am playing and he is enjoying watching it.ââ?¬Â

The same goes for non-relatives. The blossoming of Charlie Adam has been one of the most uplifting stories of the season.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/i-can-have-a-smile-on-my-face-when-i-see-certain-people-1.1083899