McCarthy to jump ship again?

Frm the Record.

IRELAND star James McCarthy was last night at the centre of a major international incident.

The Wigan midfielder opted to play for the Republic rather than Scotland but he asked to be left out of Giovanni Trapattoni's squad for Tuesday's Carling Nations Cup tie against Wales.

The Italian wants McCarthy to pledge his allegiance, especially now it is being suggested the former Hamilton player might be having second thoughts.

The 20-year-old has played for the Irish but not in a competitive match and Trap said: "McCarthy must choose. He plays for Ireland or he plays for Scotland. "I spoke to Roberto Martinez and he said the player had asked to be left out of our of squad."

It is unclear why he asked to be left behind but Scotland manager Craig Levein would only say: "What I can tell you is my policy has not changed.

"I will search high and low to find players who can enhance the squad."

It would be a brave move for him to change at this stage. And if he does, he'll get my backing. We all make mistakes, and if he decides that opting ot play for Ireland at such a young age was in fact a mistake then fair play. I personally think he was badly advised when he was 14/15 which has put him in this position.

This is what the eloquent Trapattoni had to say about the subject of McCarthy yesterday -

"James no. James know our position. James know how he like us, and he's 21 old. And I was players, Marco was players. In 21 olds, we was man. We take the decision. I don't wait my agent to tell me what to do. He can decide, free. He can decide. I like Scotland, he know."

“I like Ireland, he know. He has the possibility. 21. Many many players wait his agent. You decide, the agent. You decide! You decide. That is... he know what we think."

Now Trapattoni has introduced the unsettling idea that the player's agent might be making the decisions for him. Again, would the best way to establish clear communication with the player not be, well, to communicate with him directly?

"I already answer you. Two years ago, I spoke, I was in Manchester, I tried with another players. Yeah yeah, the player was like this, look down. We speak about... spoke more... his manager, his agent, yeah yeah the players. In fact this players, no coming with us."

"Or another, I already said you, play in other country. He said, oh yeah, maybe, he wants insurance, he come, he play, play sure. Is no international player."

That was Trapattoni speaking from his cloud-top anti-gravity geodesic dome on Pluto via skype's superluminal pro package.

trapfishhook1.jpg

Edited by Zappa

He hasn't been capped at senior level yet. Hence the speculation.

He has one senior cap for Ireland in a friendly. However, new rules are that you can jump ship as long as you haven't played a competitive match. Case in point would be Jermaine Jones, US-Born German who played 3 tiems for Germany in friendlies but has now jumped ship to play for the US.