KYLE BARTLEY had no part to play as the Old Firm made history last week.

Now the Arsenal kid is begging Walter Smith for the chance to create his own Ibrox legacy.

Last Sunday's epic encounter in the Scottish Cup left Bartley gasping for breath on the bench.

The 2-2 draw also means that for the first time ever Rangers and Celtic will have to meet SEVEN times in one season.

Now Bartley - on loan at Gers until the end of the season - hopes he'll be handed a key role in the replay at Parkhead.

He confessed: "It was something else last weekend.

"I've been looking to get up to an Old Firm game for a number of years now so to actually be involved in it was an unbelievable experience.

"It's part of football history. The Old Firm is such a massive game. There aren't many other bigger games in the world.

"It's on a whole different level compared to Arsenal and Spurs.

"The Old Firm runs a lot deeper than football and you can sense that with the atmosphere.

"It's not scary. It's different for me because for a lot of the boys it's in their blood.

"I am new to this environment and you have to get your head around it quickly.

"Once you find out the reasons behind it it's easier to understand."

Bartley has yet to feature for Rangers since sealing his deadline day move to Ibrox.

The towering defender had spent the first half of the season on loan at Sheffield United.

He jumped at the chance to join Gers after Ibrox gaffer Smith contacted his Emirates counterpart Arsene Wenger.

The 19-year-old revealed: "I had a few options in January, there were a couple of clubs in the Championship who were interested.

"Given the prestige of Rangers and given the competitions they are in it was a no-brainer in the end.

"We obviously play in the Europa League next week and that was also a major factor for me.

"I haven't spoken to Arsene Wenger since I made the move but I think he speaks to Walter quite a lot so that is good for me.

Advertisement

"Of course, the manager here was another plus.

"The coaching staff are fantastic and I'm only going to improve as a player by working under someone like Walter Smith.

"He has so much experience and he has achieved so much in the game.

"Ally McCoist and Ian Durrant have been great too.

"If you can't learn off these guys who can you learn from?

"I'm thinking short-term at the moment. I want to get out on the pitch and win things with Rangers.

"I see my long-term future back at Arsenal, however, and I have never hidden that."

Bartley has been catapulted into the race for medals.

Gers are gunning for the Treble in Smith's final season in charge while also eyeing Europa League glory.

Bartley added: "Rangers are going for a lot of trophies and you get a sense of the feeling of determination straight away.

"Second best is never good enough at a club like Rangers and that will bring the best out of me I'm sure.

"It will bring me on and develop me as a player."

Bartley has had to be patient since joining Gers.

He's hoping that he can finally make his debut against Motherwell at Ibrox this afternoon. He stressed: "I'm realistic. When I came to Rangers I knew I wouldn't walk into the team. I just need to keep working hard and hopefully I'll get my chance.

"The gaffer has a few problems so who knows, it might come against Motherwell.

"I can play in a number of different positions. Right back, centre half, defensive midfield.

"I even played up front on a number of occasions for Sheffield United when we were chasing a goal late in the game.

"I can certainly give the gaffer some extra options."

Bartley admits he'd relish the chance to play alongside veteran Davie Weir in the heart of the Gers defence.

There's an astonishing TWENTY YEARS between them and Bartley insists he's already learned so much from just watching Weir in training.

He added: "Davie is amazing and I can only learn from him too.

"All the boys are in the canteen or getting ready to go home and he's in the gym doing his extra work.

"He is a great professional and someone everyone looks up to."

Rangers are boosted by the news that striker Kyle Lafferty is set to return to face Motherwell after a bout of tonsilitis.

Ex-Well midfielder Lee McCulloch is out as he prepares to undergo knee surgery next week.

Defender Kirk Broadfoot is still sidelined with a foot problem.

Tickets for Rangers' Europa League tie with Sporting Lisbon are on sale now priced �£27 for adults, �£18 for concessions and �£14 for kids from rangers.co.uk , the ticket hotline 0871 702 1972, and Rangers Ticket Centre. Booking fees apply. Hospitality deals are also available.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3407307/Smile-Bartley.html#ixzz1DhEYsb00

"The coaching staff are fantastic and I'm only going to improve as a player by working under someone like Walter Smith.

"If you can't learn off these guys who can you learn from?

I await Gav and Gisabeers comments on this :)

As my late father often said "Give Rangers a decent player and we will soon ruin him" Funny how nothing has seemed to change over the years.

Believed by many supporters of all generations maybe worth a True or false thread on it's own.

As my late father often said "Give Rangers a decent player and we will soon ruin him" Funny how nothing has seemed to change over the years.

Believed by many supporters of all generations maybe worth a True or false thread on it's own.

It's certainly been more true than false in my time. To change it will require much better management than we've had since Scot Symon. It's not difficult to see the merits of someone like Walter Smith but developing young players isn't one of them.