Weiss reveals Rangers boss Smith went berserk

Rangers winger Vladimir Weiss has revealed that manager Walter Smith went berserk at the players after they lost their lead in the dying moments of Thursday�s Europa League clash with Sporting Lisbon.

Steven Whittaker put ââ?¬Ë?Gers in front at Ibrox in the 66th minute but Sporting leveled in the 89th thanks to a Matias Fernandez header.

Weiss said that Smith had a go at the Rangers side after the match and the Manc hester City loanee said he had every right to.

"The manager was not happy with us because he felt we should not have backed off after we scored.

"But we did and there is not a great deal he can do about that on the touchline." The Manchester City loan star admits Gers players have to take responsibility for the slackness that cost them victory.

"It was our fault on the pitch we didn't win the game, but hopefully we can take the type of chances we created here in Lisbon.

"We were terrific in the second half, especially in the first 30 minutes of it.

"We scored and we should have had another one after that, but we backed off.

"They needed to score and put us under pressure, but we were unlucky.

"We were the better side and had more chances to score. Sporting may have had more possession, but they are a Portuguese team and you expect them to hold the ball.

"But we had our chances to get a second and we didn't take them."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/weiss-reveals-rangers-boss-smith-went-berserk-1458121?

It was actually the same against Celtic to a degree - you could see McCoist and Smith waving players forward but it seems to be a mental thing with some of them.

Davis and Edu in particular retreat into their shells while our full-backs often struggle to push on as well.

Ironically Smith is partly to blame for the overly defensive mindset but if they don't all sort it out soon, they may find our chances of trophies disappear if we don't finish teams off more effectively.

Edited by Frankie

TBH i have just about got to the stage of writing this season off. Yes i know we still have alot to play for but smith will play neg and def for the rest of the season and it will cost us.

To be fair, Weiss is blaming the players for sitting back; not the manager who was attempting to get them to push up the pitch.

In saying that, Smith can be criticised by continually selecting under-performing players or not making subs during games.

Let's cut to the chase - Sporting were awful and not to win last night is hugely disappointing.

To be fair, Weiss is blaming the players for sitting back; not the manager who was attempting to get them to push up the pitch.

In saying that, Smith can be criticised by continually selecting under-performing players or not making subs during games.

Let's cut to the chase - Sporting were awful and not to win last night is hugely disappointing.

I did not see any of the game but was getting updates and it just sounded like a typical game for us boring, really hope we dont get Ally next season as there must be better more experienced managers out there. But we all know it will just be another jobs for the boys.

[/b]

I did not see any of the game but was getting updates and it just sounded like a typical game for us boring, really hope we dont get Ally next season as there must be better more experienced managers out there. But we all know it will just be another jobs for the boys.

First half we were dreadful but still could have scored 2 goals. Second half we were much better but stopped playing for the last 15mins or so.

Ally doesn't enthuse me either but we have no way of knowing if Smith restricts his contribution.

Didn't see the game, just on Radio Scotland. Sounded awful the first half. The second sounded allot more positive, but again chances that should have had the onion bag bulging were missed when it was apparently easier to score.

I also think this back off thing we do is definately etched into the players minds now.

I think they know that King Weir is the possible weak link in defence, and as such they move back to cover it. Only to expose it more.

At the end of the day, we didn't get beat. We have a chance of going there, scoring and hopefully more than 1.

WATP.

I don't believe a word of the report, I can't see it reported anywhere in a Scottish or British entity.

Usually TB take stuff directly from the papers so while the story may not be online yet, it could be in print per se....