Parkhead club happy to promote conspiracy theories, says Walter Smith

Rangers manager Walter Smith has accused Celtic of encouraging a climate of mistrust and paranoia among their support and of attempting to increase pressure on match officials with their unrelenting complaints about the performances of referees and their appeals against punishments handed out to players and manager Neil Lennon.

The 62 year-old, in his final season in charge at Ibrox, has had enough of the conspiracy theories emanating from Parkhead and, as he prepares to take his team to the east end of Glasgow tomorrow, he welcomed former Celtic manager Gordon Strachan�s declaration this week that there was no institutionalised bias against the club.

It was a comment apparently aimed at Peter Lawwell, Celtic�s chief executive, and chairman John Reid.

The latter had claimed at the clubââ?¬â?¢s AGM in November that the Clydesdale Bank Premier League leaders would not tolerate being treated as second-class citizens by the governing bodies, hinting at a historical discrimination. ââ?¬Å?We wonââ?¬â?¢t be treated as less than anyone else,ââ?¬Â said Reid. ââ?¬Å?Those days are gone.ââ?¬Â

With referee Iain Brines about to take charge of his first Old Firm encounter tomorrow, Smith echoed Strachan�s sentiments.

ââ?¬Å?It would have been difficult for Gordon to have said anything else, wouldnââ?¬â?¢t it?ââ?¬Â he asked. ââ?¬Å?When you win three consecutive championships itââ?¬â?¢s very difficult to say that there are people conspiring against you.

ââ?¬Å?You canââ?¬â?¢t win three successive titles with people conspiring against you. This has been a situation Celtic have been happy to promote but when their former manager comes out and says that there is no conspiracy then you can realise why.

ââ?¬Å?He was good enough when he was there to lead his team to three championships so, from a Rangers point of view, did people conspire against us during that period of time? And the truth is that they didnââ?¬â?¢t and the truth is that they donââ?¬â?¢t.

ââ?¬Å?The truth is that if youââ?¬â?¢re good enough then youââ?¬â?¢ll win and Celtic were during Gordonââ?¬â?¢s time as manager so I agree with what he says.

ââ?¬Å?I think that Celtic have tried to use that to their own advantage ââ?¬â?? I donââ?¬â?¢t believe thereââ?¬â?¢s any doubt about that but Gordonââ?¬â?¢s comments this week have led everyone to the actual truth.

ââ?¬Å?Like I say, if youââ?¬â?¢re good enough youââ?¬â?¢ll win but it suits them to build up an environment where everybodyââ?¬â?¢s against them when, obviously, theyââ?¬â?¢re not or they wouldnââ?¬â?¢t have won what theyââ?¬â?¢ve won if then world had been against them.

ââ?¬Å?Everyone has to remember that Celtic have won three out of the last five championships so if people are conspiring against them I wouldnââ?¬â?¢t like to see what theyââ?¬â?¢ll do once they stop.

ââ?¬Å?So it suits them just now to gain some motivation from that 'everyoneââ?¬â?¢s against usââ?¬â?¢ type of attitude plus everything is new and fresh there at the moment but weââ?¬â?¢ll just need to wait and see what happens.

ââ?¬Å?If people want to keep, promoting that thatââ?¬â?¢s fine: I prefer to look at the footballing side of the situation rather than anything else. Going to Celtic Park will be difficult ââ?¬â?? all Old Firm games are. The games up until now have been close and the fact both teams have lost at home adds another aspect to it.

ââ?¬Å?For us, having extra games with a smaller group is an obvious difficulty but we have a pride in our performance.ââ?¬Â

Algerian defender Madjid Bougherra believes it is essential for Rangers ââ?¬â?? five points behind, having played two games fewer ââ?¬â?? to win the two remaining league fixtures against Celtic because he doesnââ?¬â?¢t anticipate any of the other SPL clubs taking all three points from Lennonââ?¬â?¢s side.

ââ?¬Å?I think thatââ?¬â?¢s the case,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?If you want to win the championship you have to win all your games but the Old Firm games are very vital. If we win the two games in hand it is still in our own hands.

ââ?¬Å?For us, if we win the game it will be fantastic for us to take into the [return leg against Sporting Lisbon] next Thursday as well as for the championship.

ââ?¬Å?Celtic are going very well this season and donââ?¬â?¢t look like dropping many points, so it is the best moment to close the gap.ââ?¬Â

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/scottish-premier/8334743/Celtic-v-Rangers-Parkhead-club-happy-to-promote-conspiracy-theories-says-Walter-Smith.html