Taken form the letter section of Scotland on Sunday...

Praise saved for Britannia

LIKE Moira Gordon, I attended the Old Firm encounter at Parkhead and broadly concur with her opinion that the vocal offerings of the Rangers support showed significant improvement from previous form - not that there was much on-pitch achievement to encourage inspired lyricism from that quarter.

However, it may not be clear to all that one of their apparent favourites, the Bouncy, Bouncy chorus, refers to the sectarian murder of Robert Hamill by a loyalist mob in Portadown in 1997.

But as for Rule Britannia, only a curmudgeon would take umbrage at a rousing song eulogising a building society that offers a better rate of saving than Lionel Letizi or Allan McGregor.

John McDonnell

London

-------------------------------------------------

Funny how we've been doing the bouncy since the 80's - either TIMMY is lying again, or we as a fan base are Mystic Meg and knew this murder was going to take place and decided to celebrate this before the event occured :ffs: :ffs:

I hope of shiney new PR Department are writing to SoS as we speak.... (pigs will fly, hell will freeze over etc).

Cammy F

They will be saying we cut the grass to look like a sash next.;)

If you look for spooks behind the curtains for long enough you will start to see them. Looks like a cheap easy way to fill a paper to me.

i think mr. murray is right on this issue - just dont read or buy the paper.

That is not the problem tho - plenty people buy and read this paper (non-Rangers fans) and may now believe that the bouncy (an innocent chant / reason to jump up and down in the wet / cold - that is why it originated) is now linked to a sectarian murder. Hence, our public image falls even FURTHER.

These continued lies regarding our songs must be challanged.

Cammy F

That is not the problem tho - plenty people buy and read this paper (non-Rangers fans) and may now believe that the bouncy (an innocent chant / reason to jump up and down in the wet / cold - that is why it originated) is now linked to a sectarian murder. Hence, our public image falls even FURTHER.

These continued lies regarding our songs must be challanged.

ihmo, anyone who believes trustingly the opinions of some random person who writes in deserves their ignorance.

I agree, on this occasion, just not reading the p[aper is not going to solve the problem as we cannot stop other people reading this shite and thier opinion of us being influenced by it.

Something seriously needs done about this.

Is there an e-mail address for the new PR department?