Ally McCoist: I'm already identifying signing targets

ALLY McCOIST has already identified players he wants to bring to Rangers when he takes over from Walter Smith.

And the manager-in-waiting is keen to land stars who can provide more quality and entertainment.

Gers have enjoyed great times during Smith's second stint in charge but he has sometimes been criticised for being over-cautious.

McCoist hopes to marry success with flowing football but knows pulling that off is far from easy.

His great friend Tommy Burns had Celtic playing slick football in the 1990s yet won just one trophy in three years. That cost him his job.

And McCoist knows the same fate awaits him if he fails to deliver titles.

However, he believes he can find some players who will thrill the fans and provide value for money.

McCoist said: "I've started to look ahead in terms of signing targets. We definitely need to bring players in.

"My philosophy will be quite simple. You have to win. We need to win games or I won't be sitting here talking to you in the future.

"In an ideal world you win with style. You will have players out there the fans want to see.

"You will get people coming to watch this team who are genuinely excited about the players they are coming to watch. They will be here to see entertaining football but, most importantly, winning football.

"This club has had wonderfully talented players throughout history. But it's probably had more winners than fantastically talented players.

"That's not a criticism. Anything but. It's actually a compliment.

"This club's history is riddled with winners - boys who wanted to do well and win trophies.

"Ideally we want the fans to know they're going to be entertained AND win games of football. Our supporters know the score. They are intelligent people and know all about the situation at the club.

"All I would ask for is continued support. There have been times when things have upset the punters and that will happen again because you can't please all the fans all the time. But I think we will get their support."

Rangers' wage budget will be slashed by more than �£1million in the summer but McCoist feels he can be inventive and adventurous in the transfer market.

He stressed: "In an ideal world the club will be bought over and investment will come in. At the moment we can't say with any certainty if that will be the case.

"We need to plan for next season. I know the budget and don't see that changing dramatically unless someone buys the club.

"It's up to ourselves to identify players and bring them in.

"People will be leaving at the end of the season so we need new faces.

"Only time will tell how good the hand I've been dealt is going to be. Sometimes you might be dealt a bad hand but can still play it well.

"However, it won't be easy. We'll need to cut money off the wage bill.

"That's not good news but we know the score. It's not like it will be thrust upon us with no warning.

"It's up to us to plan for that. I need to persuade players to come here.

"If I can't sell this club to a player I won't be able to sell anything. We have a wonderful fan base, a great stadium and a fantastic training ground.

"We might not be able to offer the same finances as elsewhere but we need to sell the club to targets."

McCoist will have to appoint a new captain in the summer when Davie Weir ends his playing career.

He is likely to want a real Rangers man in that important role and Lee McCulloch could take the armband.

The midfielder recently signed a new contract and has the backing of current skipper Weir.

McCoist said: "Arguably, one of your most important decisions is the appointment of the captain.

"We've had top guys like John Greig, Terry Butcher and Jock Shaw. All great skippers and great men.

"It's vitally important we have a great captain again."

Buying someone like Butcher would set you back more than �£20m these days - a sum McCoist is unlikely to spend over his entire tenure, never mind on just one player.

However, he could be handed a bit more cash to splash if a new owner seizes power at Ibrox.

McCoist said: "The ideal scenario is new owners come in and fancy me staying in charge.

"However, it's natural a new regime might not want me in charge.

"But I hope any new owners will be happy with the plan we have in place and give us a few quid to spend.

"If they don't want me as manager then I'll be on the terracing with the fans supporting the team. Rangers Football Club is the most important thing. This club deserves the best."

McCoist will be assisted by Kenny McDowall when he takes charge with Ian Durrant as first-team coach.

But the 48-year-old hasn't ruled out adding to his backroom staff.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon has three helpers at Parkhead - Johan Mjallby, Alan Thompson and Garry Parker.

And Gers gaffer Smith can also call on McCoist, McDowall and Durrant for advice as he bids to end his reign with even more success.

McCoist said: "We will probably look at adding someone but I would have to say I couldn't be happier taking over with the staff I have.

"I will have good men by my side and I'm thankful for that.

"I have known Kenny for a lot longer than you would think.

"Ian and I go back a long way and it's the same with our goalkeeping coach Jimmy Stewart and the fitness coach Adam Owen.

"Stability won't guarantee you success but it's another positive.

"I trust these guys too and that is the most important thing. It's arguably THE most important thing in management - you need people who are loyal and good."

Should it be needed, Smith will also be there for guidance.

The veteran boss doesn't plan to return to management when he brings the curtain down on his Rangers career this summer.

He could be tempted back into football by a job overseas but McCoist knows he can always call his managerial mentor for some words of wisdom.

He smiled: "Walter will be on the end of a phone. I don't have any doubt about that.

"He might be on a golf course in Arizona but he has been told the phone must stay on.

"I don't care if he's in a bunker or whatever and knowing his golf there is every chance!"

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/02/27/ally-mccoist-i-m-already-identifying-signing-targets-and-i-want-them-to-entertain-our-fans-86908-22953274/

Talk the talk Ally but come July it will be walk the walk.

RE Signings I like what he is saying that he wants a bit more excitment in the team although I have no idea where he will find that sort of players on our budget. Ally did do the world cup last summer so he may have a few in mind from countries which were knocked out early. He talks about the budget but Im sure that will depend on Champions League qualification.

As for Captain as the squad currently stands I hope Bougherra would pick it up next.

Back room staff: I really think he needs a Ray Wilkins in with him. McDowall and Durrant will be fine coaches and assistants but a experienced name like Wilkins could end up being his best signing. I wonder if he fanices asking Souness!

Not sure if calling up Walter would be the best thing to do, after being next to him for 7 years if he doesnt know WS methods inside out by now then something is wrong. Of course every manager needs someone on the end of the phone now and again...lots call up Alex Ferguson all over the place.

Hate to be neg but this is the same guy that signed big Lee up for 2 more years so i'm not to optimistic about the style he will play.

And unless your blind , you would see how important and what a miss big lee is to this Rangers team at this moment in time

And unless your blind , you would see how important and what a miss big lee is to this Rangers team at this moment in time

Mate that your opinion but imo that a pile of crap. He is a shocking player and Rangers will not play football untill him and Weir are both out the team. Nothing against them but they ae finished and holding the team back.

I don't think the press will stop asking him these questions but I'd like to see Ally give them a miss. We need to focus on this season. All the chat about next season is all well and good but its too much of a distraction and the more it goes on, the more it is likely to undermine this season's team.

Isn't McDowell staying on as Allys assistant?

Yeah McDowelll will be doing Ally's job and Durrant with be doing McDowells job.

I would love Laudrup in a coaching capacity as he would help so much with the technical aspects of the game which we are sadly lacking.