Some of us have met MF... next time I am home I will be sure to look you up - you owe me a pint anyway.... even if just a cyber pint :cheers:

..... and most have not, which is the case with the vast majority of footy forum users. It's not a club, it's just an excuse to express opinion without the need for personal contact. These forums are real to the extent they exist but when judging user conduct we need to remember it's not 'really real' :wtf:

It's petty I know but how do you judge Totti without knowing if he's male or female, British or foreign, an english speaker or not, tall or short, intellectually able or otherwise, smiling or scowling when he types, etc. You don't, none of us do.

If we say Totti caused offence it's is probably taking offence beyond the sense it was intended. I guess the most that could be said is he/she broke certain forum rules.

I've no more than a mild passing interest in this to be honest. It just happens to be the only thing worth commenting on at the moment.

..... and most have not, which is the case with the vast majority of footy forum users. It's not a club, it's just an excuse to express opinion without the need for personal contact. These forums are real to the extent they exist but when judging user conduct we need to remember it's not 'really real' :wtf:

Reminds me of the bit in the Frankie Boyle bit where he goes "This is the bit where you say something, then I say how shite it is, then we move on to the next one. What, did I just ruin the magic?"

I'm also not big on the idea that communication via the internet isn't real. I like the modern. Anything can be an excuse to express opinion without the need for personal contact, given how detached its possible for one to choose to be. Similarly, the internet can be a club - or an aspect of a club. It's just another technology by which interpersonal interaction occurs.

Take for example the OU - they recreate a lot of the missed interpersonal interaction between students through forums and such things - they run together with lectures and stuff, so the 'real' person and the id have to match to some extent. Though you see people quickly make an arse of it because of the disconnect.

It's petty I know but how do you judge Totti without knowing if he's male or female, British or foreign, an english speaker or not, tall or short, intellectually able or otherwise, smiling or scowling when he types, etc. You don't, none of us do.

Not all judgements are created equal though. Just because you can't judge someone to the same extent you could with biographical detail and genuine interpersonal contact, doesn't mean you can't judge them at all. A rough analogy would maybe be a caller on a radio phone in.

If we say Totti caused offence it's is probably taking offence beyond the sense it was intended.

I think in this context 'causing offence' is just another way of saying being abusive, or acting cuntish, or breaking the established norms. I don't think its possible for the recipient to be offended in the same sense as you would a person out in the real world, but given that a forum is a metaphor for a discussion - say a pub discussion - it naturally creates its own metaphor for offence.

I guess the most that could be said is he/she broke certain forum rules.

Change 'forum' for any other adjective of category for any other situation and you have a fairly rigorous definition of offence in most contexts.

I've no more than a mild passing interest in this to be honest. It just happens to be the only thing worth commenting on at the moment.

Same :)

Edited by bmck

Reminds me of the bit in the Frankie Boyle bit where he goes "This is the bit where you say something, then I say how shite it is, then we move on to the next one. What, did I just ruin the magic?"

I'm also not big on the idea that communication via the internet isn't real. I like the modern. Anything can be an excuse to express opinion without the need for personal contact, given how detached its possible for one to choose to be. Similarly, the internet can be a club - or an aspect of a club. It's just another technology by which interpersonal interaction occurs.

Take for example the OU - they recreate a lot of the missed interpersonal interaction between students through forums and such things - they run together with lectures and stuff, so the 'real' person and the id have to match to some extent. Though you see people quickly make an arse of it because of the disconnect.

Not all judgements are created equal though. Just because you can't judge someone to the same extent you could with biographical detail and genuine interpersonal contact, doesn't mean you can't judge them at all. A rough analogy would maybe be a caller on a radio phone in.

I think in this context 'causing offence' is just another way of saying being abusive, or acting cuntish, or breaking the established norms. I don't think its possible for the recipient to be offended in the same sense as you would a person out in the real world, but given that a forum is a metaphor for a discussion - say a pub discussion - it naturally creates its own metaphor for offence.

Change 'forum' for any other adjective of category for any other situation and you have a fairly rigorous definition of offence in most contexts.

Same :)

Sorry, it's not personal but it looks like more work than I can be arsed with to read all this. My post simply doesn't justify the time you've taken to reply. But since you're not real you obviously won't read this either.

Sorry, it's not personal but it looks like more work than I can be arsed with to read all this. My post simply doesn't justify the time you've taken to reply. But since you're not real you obviously won't read this either.

MF, I'm not sure what age you are and how many fingers you type with but that took the square root of feck all seconds to type.:)

Edited by bmck

It's OK, I know he's lying through his teeth. Poor comment about age though, even if he doesn't exist.

It might have been a compliment - but in this non-real medium knows as Gersnet is age even real in and of itself ?? :D

It might have been a compliment - but in this non-real medium knows as Gersnet is age even real in and of itself ?? :D

It's real in the offence but not in the compliment ... or is it real in the throw but not in the catch? Why am I asking you?