Walter Smith: Neil Lennon antics set off touchline spat

Rangers boss Walter Smith today revealed how Neil Lennon�s treatment of El-Hadji Diouf sparked the touchline mayhem at the end of last night�s Old Firm match.

Lennon came out of his technical area to exchange words with Diouf as he complained to fourth official Iain Brines after Steven Whittaker�s dimissal in the Scottish Cup fifth-round replay.

His actions angered Gers assistant gaffer Ally McCoist, who then had to be separated from the Hoops boss by coaching staff after the final whistle.

It is not the first time Lennon has allowed himself to become involved with Rangers players in the Old Firm game since taking charge.

He lambasted Steven Naismith for a tackle on Mark Wilson in the first cup game and was allegedly involved in an incident in the tunnel in that game with Vladimir Weiss and Diouf.

The Northern Irishman also exchanged words with countryman Kyle Lafferty after his side had won 2-0 at Ibrox back in January.

Smith said: ââ?¬Å?I think the problem was simple. Alastair was a bit annoyed that Neil was being aggressive to one of the Rangers players (Diouf). I think that was annoying him. These things happen. Playing each other seven times in a season doesnââ?¬â?¢t help.ââ?¬Â

He added: ââ?¬Å?Diouf is an easy target for criticism and he gets himself wound up a little bit as he has done at the end of the game because it was a frustrating evening for us to see two players sent off. Thatââ?¬â?¢s the way he is.

ââ?¬Å?I am not so sure we committed many more fouls than Celtic. I felt Whittakerââ?¬â?¢s first yellow was soft, although I wouldnââ?¬â?¢t have argued with the second. Obviously I was disappointed with that.

ââ?¬Å?Madjid Bougherraââ?¬â?¢s first yellow card was one, the second one was clearly not. He slid in and clearly takes the ball and the Celtic playerââ?¬â?¢s momentum takes him over the top.

ââ?¬Å?From my own point of view I feel the referee got carried away with the crowdââ?¬â?¢s reaction.

ââ?¬Å?It was a competitive cup-tie, but there were challenges I didnââ?¬â?¢t think were worth yellow cards.

ââ?¬Å?As I say, I couldnââ?¬â?¢t complain about Bougherraââ?¬â?¢s first caution or Whittakerââ?¬â?¢s second, but I felt they were both unlucky to be sent off. There was nothing that left anyone injured.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/walter-smith-neil-lennon-antics-set-off-touchline-spat-1.1088363